Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #151
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Well, Samsung will begin selling the Ativ Q any day now. Highest resolution of any tablet on the market today.
I suppose that's a start, but I'm not looking for a Windows ultrabook, I just want them to do something nice screenwise in an Android tablet. I guess they'll have to think about it, what with the new Nexus 7, and the coming Kindle Fire models. Otherwise their displays will look rather dated indeed.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #152
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It also runs Android. But it is a very expensive device.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #153
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@graycyn, It seems we're having similar thoughts. I have a Galaxy Note 1 which I love. I've never owned a tablet before and am at the stage where I'd quite like one. I keep looking at the Note 8 as I'm not sure a 7" device is quite big enough and a 10" device is too big. The 8" seems like a nice "Goldilocks" option, but I keep feeling that 1280x800 might be a bit disappointing on an 8" screen - even if I'm perfectly happy with it on the Note 1.

Do any of you Note 8 owners have any comments about the screen appearance compared to the Note smartphones? I definitely don't want a Windows 8 device at the moment.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #154
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It also runs Android. But it is a very expensive device.
I didn't look at price, it just sounded out of range, LOL! Nice to know it also runs Android.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #155
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@graycyn, It seems we're having similar thoughts. I have a Galaxy Note 1 which I love. I've never owned a tablet before and am at the stage where I'd quite like one. I keep looking at the Note 8 as I'm not sure a 7" device is quite big enough and a 10" device is too big. The 8" seems like a nice "Goldilocks" option, but I keep feeling that 1280x800 might be a bit disappointing on an 8" screen - even if I'm perfectly happy with it on the Note 1.

Do any of you Note 8 owners have any comments about the screen appearance compared to the Note smartphones? I definitely don't want a Windows 8 device at the moment.
I don't have a problem with the screen, I'm not able to see individual pixels, then again, I don't have eagle eyes. Best thing is to take a look at it in a store and then decide. You know stores? They used to be around before Amazon.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #156
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You know stores? They used to be around before Amazon.
Thank you for your snarky reply. Maybe one day a well-stocked gadget shop will open within easy reach of my home. Until then I'll have to make do with asking civil questions on forums dedicated to mobile reading in threads dedicated to the device in question.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #157
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
I have good close vision, 1280 x 800 on a 7" screen is not at all comfortable for me, it's why I did NOT want the original Nexus 7. So I know it would not work for me on an 8" screen. I was completely unable to use earlier 7" tablets at 1024 x 600, saw yellow haloes around all text, got instant headache.

I can use the Nook HD+ at 254 ppi but still see pixels, so the text is not as crisp my eyes would like it and I find it hard to read for any length of time. My Note has 289ppi and that works well for me. Although I liked the idea of a Note 2, the decreased resolution of 264 ppi was very noticeable and turned me off once I saw one in person.

The upshot is *I* really need a 300ppi or close display for comfort, but it won't make that much difference to other people.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #158
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@graycyn,

Thanks for replying I don't think I need 300 dpi but, on balance, I think I'll wait and see what else turns up in the next 6 months.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #159
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Thank you for your snarky reply. Maybe one day a well-stocked gadget shop will open within easy reach of my home. Until then I'll have to make do with asking civil questions on forums dedicated to mobile reading in threads dedicated to the device in question.
Good grief. She meant it as a joke, not as a cut. Don't be so sensitive.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #160
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Good grief. She meant it as a joke, not as a cut. Don't be so sensitive.
We need Sheldon's theoretical "humormometer" so some folks can learn to take life a bit more lightly.

I did not read the comment as anything but deadpan humor.. :sly:
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #161
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Sorry. When my wife accuses me of being "snarky", there's no humor in her voice.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #162
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Sorry. When my wife accuses me of being "snarky", there's no humor in her voice.
beware of landsnarks collecting for UNICEF....delivering Candygrams...selling Girl Scout cookies...et. al. *wood* hate to see you go missing after a snark epsiode....or SHARKNADO!!
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote