Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
I do warranty iPod repairs and we send a lot of out of warranty iPods back to Apple for battery replacement. In Australia it is advance exchange. I order the iPod it arrives and I send the customers iPod back.

When you receive a replacement iPod it is in exactly the same condition as a new iPod. There is no way of telling by looking at it if the unit is new or refurbished. The outer case is always new because the serial number is engraved on the back of the unit.

This is a major selling point. Most iPods that come in are pretty beat up and people are paying for a new case as well as a battery and are generally happy with that.

If you are concerned about your data then a back up and restore before handing it over is only prudent.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
What if it breaks before you can sync your data, and you can't get it to work? If they're not even replacing batteries, I understand that they won't repair anything else, just take your iPad with personal data on it and give you a new one if it breaks? Or if you don't want to give them your data, you need to buy a new iPad?

Well, I guess there are enough people with no sensitive information in their brains that won't care about it and buy one anyway.
You have an iphone or some other 'smart' device? If you do, you could be in the same boat.

This situation is no different than many electronic devices, often instead of being repaired it is replaced. If the issue is such that you can't sync first, then ya, you are out of luck if you don't want to pass along your 'private' info.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
Why? Personal data and privacy.
This could apply to ANY device that contains personal info and data. Laptop, cell phone, digital music player. Every single one of those devices should be backed up and wiped clean before sending off.

And if you can't back it up beforehand, well, same applies for all the other devices. Backup/sync often and anything you wouldn't want to fall into the hands of another, don't carry it around.

I see no hit against the iPad or Apple in this move. Actually, getting a new/refurb unit for $105 is quite a deal.

Last edited by chainring; 03-16-2010 at 02:49 PM.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #19
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
I see no hit against the iPad or Apple in this move. Actually, getting a new/refurb unit for $105 is quite a deal.
We have a winner.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
File this one under "Things I whish I would have known earlier." Seriously, any thoughts I was entertaining as to possibly buying an iPad just went out the door.
If you go to ifixit, you can find a guide and parts for replacing your iPhone's "non-replaceable" battery - they'll have the same for iPad in time.

It's not as easy as a drop in battery, to be sure, but easily doable. I read on other blogs that the physical mechanisms associated with a drop-in take up room that could either have gone toward making the device smaller/thinner or battery bigger with more capacity. Not sure if it's true but interesting explanation from the design front.

I do wish Apple gave you back your same device, just for convenience sake.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #21
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
You have an iphone or some other 'smart' device? If you do, you could be in the same boat.

This situation is no different than many electronic devices, often instead of being repaired it is replaced. If the issue is such that you can't sync first, then ya, you are out of luck if you don't want to pass along your 'private' info.
I have an iPod, a very old one, from before the time when they had color screens (it has a screen like in old digital watches), and it still works fine.

And I'll probably buy an iPhone soon, as I should get up to speed in programming those...

If the battery breaks in any of them, I'll probably dump them in the basement, to be uncovered after I die
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 AM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
So that definitely is a reason not to get an iPad outside of the US. My iphone 3G's WiFi went dead after 14 months and they said they couldn't repair it, they would give me a new one (no, not the 3GS, the same old 3G) for USD 300+. And I was told it is the same goes for the battery. I heard service is good in the US, but Apple sure know how to stick it to international customers. Buyer beware! And then they will just exchange the battery on the device and resell it as a refurbished unit. Probably make more money than on the new ones.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
So that definitely is a reason not to get an iPad outside of the US. My iphone 3G's WiFi went dead after 14 months and they said they couldn't repair it, they would give me a new one (no, not the 3GS, the same old 3G) for USD 300+. And I was told it is the same goes for the battery. I heard service is good in the US, but Apple sure know how to stick it to international customers. Buyer beware! And then they will just exchange the battery on the device and resell it as a refurbished unit. Probably make more money than on the new ones.
The devices that are sent in for battery exchange are checked out, fixed, new case etc. and put into the service pool. Refurbished items on the Apple websites are repaired items that were DOA as they are not allowed to be sold as new.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #24
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
If you go to ifixit, you can find a guide and parts for replacing your iPhone's "non-replaceable" battery - they'll have the same for iPad in time.

It's not as easy as a drop in battery, to be sure, but easily doable. I read on other blogs that the physical mechanisms associated with a drop-in take up room that could either have gone toward making the device smaller/thinner or battery bigger with more capacity. Not sure if it's true but interesting explanation from the design front.

I do wish Apple gave you back your same device, just for convenience sake.
The real inconvenience would be for those who use an iPad without a computer. For the rest of us (to coin a phrase) backups will occur routinely whenever we connect the iPad to our computer, assuming things work the way they do with the iPhone.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Whatever your feeling of saving/transferring your data, etc, this is simply a waste of resources. It's enough to keep me from buying an iPad at all.
Where do you see waste?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/13/d...ust-sends-ano/

File this one under "Things I whish I would have known earlier." Seriously, any thoughts I was entertaining as to possibly buying an iPad just went out the door.
The only part I don't like about it is the seven day wait. It beats what would be a longer wait for an actual replacement in your particular unit, though. I'll bet that would take two weeks, and be more costly just through the inefficiencies involved.

I suspect that if you live near an Apple Store, you get same day service precisely *because* you get a replacement unit.

I see two kinds of replacement scenarios:

1. you don't buy AppleCare. So you have a one year warantee. Since the battery has to get down to 50% capacity to invoke the warantee, it's unlikely that you'll need it. So you have to pay the hundred bucks at some point after one year when your battery hits the 50% mark (i.e., it can only hold a charge that is 50% of the original specifications.)

2. you buy AppleCare. It costs that same hundred bucks. Worst case scenario - you've prepaid for the battery replacement deal. But that's assuming that along about month 23, the battery has hit the 50% mark.

So the question is, to AppleCare, or not to AppleCare?

Last edited by Harmon; 03-20-2010 at 06:04 PM.