Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 02:55 AM   #46
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Tried changing the longtitle and the folder that didn't work still doesn't work.

It's weird that the same command on unprotected mobi files will work on some and not others. I can't figure it out.

You can do for /R to make that command apply to all subfolders (all my command line command knowledge is thanks to bOB). I have a folder inside the documents folder and that one has various subfolders, so it came in handy for the 100 or so files.

I gotta admit I learned tons thanks to this experiment (and I haven't given up yet now that the bitterness of having to redo my files is gone (almost)). And I do believe we advanced the cause even if we don't succeed

Now I can convert tons of pdb files at once with the for command. I'm still trying to figure out how to take tons of folders and transform them from HTML to PRC when they have opf files. I'll try that folder name recursive command tomorrow. When there's no opf file since some have covers and some not, the folder by folder approach is the only way to go.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #47
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
What works for me

I've had very good success, but with a few bumps that may be useful to note.
First, I have much more success with mobi2mobi.exe version 37 than 40. 40 seems to stall on more files.
Second, mobi2mobi doesn't always work right. I have had some files that don't show up in the folder. I've noticed that these files tend to have either no title or the full path title. ("C:\documents\... and so on). I discovered that if I convert an html file to mobi that the folder thing does not work if the html file has no "Title" attribute. If I take the identical file, open in it Word, resave as filtered HTML and set the title to something normal, it then works.
My guess is that some conversions mess up the mobi headers and once they are messed up mobi2mobi can't change them. The title is probably particularly susceptible since the original mobipocket spec derives from the Palm convention which limited the title to 31 characters. So a title with zero characters or more than 31 may well make the rest of the header unreadable.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #48
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I've had very good success, but with a few bumps that may be useful to note.
First, I have much more success with mobi2mobi.exe version 37 than 40. 40 seems to stall on more files.
Second, mobi2mobi doesn't always work right. I have had some files that don't show up in the folder. I've noticed that these files tend to have either no title or the full path title. ("C:\documents\... and so on). I discovered that if I convert an html file to mobi that the folder thing does not work if the html file has no "Title" attribute. If I take the identical file, open in it Word, resave as filtered HTML and set the title to something normal, it then works.
My guess is that some conversions mess up the mobi headers and once they are messed up mobi2mobi can't change them. The title is probably particularly susceptible since the original mobipocket spec derives from the Palm convention which limited the title to 31 characters. So a title with zero characters or more than 31 may well make the rest of the header unreadable.
The Mobi2Mobi GUI should work for, you're running windows. If you start reading from this post in the GUI thread you'll see you have to add more parameters (switches?) to the command with Kindle books. The GUI was updated to accommodate the extra commands with mobiperl .40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
On the Kindle there have been reports that the "updatedtitle" will over-ride the longtitle (from --title), and that if this already exists you may need:
Code:
mobi2mobi --outfile [output filename] --exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata "[Corrected Title]" [original AZW/MOBI filename]
See Change book title to remove typos and extraneous info?.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #49
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I tried this. Instead of getting a folder, I get 2 new items 1) the FolderName (which brings up a single title when clicked) and 2) "Periodicals: Back Issues" which has all the other titles that I placed in my custom folder. Did I do something wrong?
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #50
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Yes. The code does not work on a Kindle 2 because it uses the Kindle's behavior for newspapers and fools the Kindle into thinking the book is a newspaper. On the Kindle 1, all the editions of a single newspaper appear in one "folder". On the Kindle 2 the latest version is in the normal list and all earlier versions of all newspapers are in the single "back issues" folder.

Someone who knows how may want to mark this thread as "Kindle 1 Only"
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #51
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks! That's too bad they changed the way they do periodicals. It looked like a decent work around.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #52
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas View Post
I tried this. Instead of getting a folder, I get 2 new items 1) the FolderName (which brings up a single title when clicked) and 2) "Periodicals: Back Issues" which has all the other titles that I placed in my custom folder. Did I do something wrong?
The script they're discussing seems to be a way to fool the Kindle into believing that a folder full of books is actually a folder full of issues of a Kindle magazine. The Kindle 2 displays magazines differently--instead of a folder with the magazine name on it that you click to reveal the issues, it displays the latest issue of the magazine in the home screen, and a folder called "Peridicals: Back Issues (number)" where "number" is the number of extra issues you have.

So it sounds like you did the scripts right but are being tripped up by the new way that Kindle 2 displays magazines.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote