Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Wow, just last night I was trying to help mom decide what reader to get and the only reason she didn't want a kindle was because of the locations instead of page numbers.

Haha nevermind, just re-read it and saw you have to go to the menu to see them... ridiculous, I guess she won't be getting one.
Yes, that is rather ridiculously made, if only temporarily. I wonder why, though. Why not give the user the option ? I'm really not very impressed by their firmware team. It seems they work very slow.

Maybe they're too busy reading books on the Kindle instead.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-07-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
I can see why they wouldn't want to have too much on the screen. It does look a bit cluttered with BOTH the page numbers and the "locations".

They could allow you to customize things a bit more, but they don't seem to be going down the route of lots of options.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I guess the Percentage Bar is kind of like the remaining thickness of a pbook. It cannot be turned off either - you know I'm about 1/3 thickness through the book.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #19
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Haha nevermind, just re-read it and saw you have to go to the menu to see them... ridiculous, I guess she won't be getting one.
Why is it ridiculous? You can still see the progress bar on the bottom with the percentage, which is more precise anyway.

I can understand academics or book club attendees who need page numbers that correspond to a DTB... I don't understand those who have no such needs, but just won't allow themselves to adapt to a different system which lends itself better to ebook reading.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #20
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I can understand academics or book club attendees who need page numbers that correspond to a DTB... I don't understand those who have no such needs, but just won't allow themselves to adapt to a different system which lends itself better to ebook reading.

Me too. I'm glad they kept the locations as well as adding page number.

Now if they would just put justification control back.

Later Edit: I'm amazed that page numbers showed up on a relatively obscure book I bought several weeks ago that was published in 1939: The Problem of the Green Capsule by John Dickson Carr.

Last edited by JMikeD; 02-07-2011 at 06:43 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I guess the Percentage Bar is kind of like the remaining thickness of a pbook. It cannot be turned off either - you know I'm about 1/3 thickness through the book.
The problem is that a fraction is relative.

1/3 of "War and Peace" is entirely different to 1/3 of a short story.

Locations are a more accurate way of seeing where you are in a book IMO.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #22
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
They could allow you to customize things a bit more, but they don't seem to be going down the route of lots of options.
I really hate this 'few-options' politic they seem so fond of. I see this politic applied more than I'd like nowadays.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-07-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #23
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Does anyone know of a sample that has page numbers included? I'd like to see how it actually works before slagging off on it.
Today, Feb 2, one of the free books - "Curious Folks Ask 2: Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond" is enabled with page numbers.

This is an easy way to try this new feature out.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

don't look now but the "Before You Go", ahem, 'feature' is the precursor to in-book ads. Of course at the end it's no different than many, many print books so hopefully it stops there. Or Kindle titles need to drop in price accordingly.

Of course now how will that change affect the whole iOS issue on top of everything else?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #25
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Why is it ridiculous? You can still see the progress bar on the bottom with the percentage, which is more precise anyway.
Because they're adding a feature that alot of people obviously want, then they're obscuring it. Since they're adding the feature you should be able to choose between locations or page numbers.

Last edited by Valentino; 02-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And here I thought the addition of page numbers would end this kind of bickering. Now people are mad because they might have to move their thumb to to see the number they wanted.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #27
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Because they're adding a feature that alot of people obviously want, then they're obscuring it. Since they're adding the feature you should be able to choose between locations or page numbers.
Not to mention that the feature is useless unless the file is an official Amazon book. It almost seems like the update was written by some kind of DRM dream team.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #28
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
Not to mention that the feature is useless unless the file is an official Amazon book. It almost seems like the update was written by some kind of DRM dream team.
Since the process is likely to be automated, it makes sense to base it on information you have easy access to.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #29
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
DRM Dream Team

This is an embarrassing "upgrade."

I personally couldn't care less about page numbers. BUT, Amazon clearly realizes they are important to some people so why not put them where they belong - on the PAGE?

As far as this sharing crap at the end of the book ... not gonna happen. What if you were reading some erotica you didn't want announced to the world and clicked the wrong button? Next thing you know it will be posting to my facebook page without warning. Geez, I guess I need to keep my wifi turned off from now on.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 02-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #30
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
DRM Dream Team

This is an embarrassing "upgrade."

I personally couldn't care less about page numbers. BUT, Amazon clearly realizes they are important to some people so why not put them where they belong - on the PAGE?

As far as this sharing crap at the end of the book. Not gonna happen. I guess I need to keep my wifi turned off from now on.
This is just getting ridiculous. There's nothing "embarrassing" about this upgrade. It doesn't match exactly what this person or that person wants, it doesn't do much at all for me, but the criticism on this forum just gets way out of hand sometimes.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote