Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Zeke
Zeke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help

As I am new to the forum I would like to ask a question.
How do I know if a particular book is free or not?
I am in the UK so where do I found out about copyright.

Last edited by Zeke; 01-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The price should tell you. Prices are usually clearly labelled. Not sure what you are asking about. What site are you buying from? If you are talking about this site's ebooks, mobileread.com, they are all free.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Zeke

I mean on the ebook list on this forum.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I mean on the ebook list on this forum.
In the mobileread library they are all free. Whether or not it's still under copyright in your country only matters if you care. It's a personal decision but there is never any charge to download them from here.

Welcome to the forum!!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You mean in the ebook library linked in the blue bar? They're all free to download.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Zeke

Thank you very much.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
If you're in the UK, then the Life+70 rule should apply. Basically just look up the author on Wikipedia, see when they died, and if it's more than 70 years ago, then the book will be okay for you to download under UK copyright rules.

Also, there are also more recent books which the authors have released into the public domain or licensed for re-distribution under Creative Commons, which will also be okay.

Here's Wikipedia's List of countries' copyright lengths and a direct link to their entry on UK copyright law for more info.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-07-2011 at 07:23 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote