Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #18481
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Thanks for the link - great article. My daughter is reading the book this Xmas.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #18482
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm going to be rotating between The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan/Sandersen, The Travis McGee series by John D MacDonald, and various fiction.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #18483
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Promised Land and by Robert Parker. Great Parker mystery.

Next up Inferno by Dan Brown
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #18484
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Left Behind on my Kindle
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #18485
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Half way thru a novelette called Tentacles of the Deep in Astounding Stories, 1931!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #18486
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
First Read for 2014...

My first book of the year is The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It will satisfy all 3 of my challenges (two annual and one for the month of January) plus there is a group of us reading the series, in publication order, as a buddy read over at GoodReads.

I'm actually not sure if I read this book as a child or not. I know I didn't read the entire series, but I do remember watching the animated movie.

I was really hoping to read the entire story today, as its relatively short, but, as usual, life got in the way do thats not going to happen.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #18487
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I just started Fatal Destiny by Marie Force. It's book 3.5 in her Fatal series.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 AM   #18488
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've been reading Phil Rickman's The Man in the Moss since Monday. I'm just not able to read any of his books quickly but I love the atmosphere and the settings of them.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #18489
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was great fun, bu the second in the series, so now I'm off to read
What Ho!, Automaton! by Chris Dolley
Which was a fun romp, introducing Reeves and Worcester and their first adventure.

Next up was my first purchase of 2014: Grantville Gazette #51 edited by Paula Goodlett. It had, of course, some fun stories, but nothing that raised it above average. I did skim the fact article a bit.

And now I'm reading my second purchase of 2014: F&SF, Jan/Feb 2014 edited by Gordon van Gelder
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #18490
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
First book of the year is The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #18491
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've finished Un Lun Dun. I struggled with it for the first 20-25%, and was nearly considering giving up, but I took a look at some Goodreads reviews and noticed that even some of the one and two star reviews said it picks up after the first third, so I persevered.

I'm glad I did; it's not going to be among my favourite reads ever (or of this year, I dearly hope), but once it got going, past that 30% mark or so, I rather enjoyed it. It didn't really grab me, and after this and The City and the City, I think I'll just have to accept that China Miéville will join Neil Gaiman for me in the category of "authors whose work I really should enjoy, as they tick all the right boxes and do nothing wrong as such, but I just cannot connect with their writing".
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #18492
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Murder in Mesopotamia", by Agatha Christie. This was her 26th novel, originally published in 1936. This novel is written as a "flashback" to events which took place 4 years previously at an archaeological dig in Iraq. Poirot investigates a mysterious murder that takes place within the excavation team.

The events in this novel form the reason that Poirot was travelling home from Syria by train in "Murder on the Orient Express".

Christie married the archaeologist Max Mallowan (later Sir Max Mallowan) in 1930, and it was her experiences accompanying him on archaeaological digs in Iraq (and other places in the Middle East) that gave her the background to write this and other novels set in that part of the world. As such, it has a very authentic atmosphere. Highly recommended.

On now to "Kingdom By the Sea" by Paul Theroux, a travelogue describing Theroux's travels around the coast of Britain. Always interesting to read a foreigner's impressions of one's own country, and Theroux is an excellent travel writer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #18493
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
That's a good one, enjoy! Actually, I just finished the First Law trilogy finally last night, and might make another Donna Tartt book my first (entire book) read of the year: The Little Friend.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #18494
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
A great book.

Mine is 1632 by Eric Flint, which is going great guns so far, but at 600 plus pages will take me a few days to complete.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #18495
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Mine is 1632 by Eric Flint, which is going great guns so far, but at 600 plus pages will take me a few days to complete.
1632 is certainly great fun. Most of the sequels are good too. And then there's the 51-volumes-and-counting of approved fan-fic in "The Grantville Gazette". (I have read them all…(!) )
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote