Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Kindle format

I own a Sony 505 and want to purchase a book only available in the Kindle format. I remember reading about converting the Kindle format somewhere on this site but of course now that I need that information, cannot locate it. Up until now, I've been able to get the books I want in the formats I want.

Is it possible to use Calibre (or any other tool) to convert this file from the Kindle format to one my Sony can handle? Somehow I think there is a DRM issue involved here as well and maybe this isn't the right place to post my question.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your assistance.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
tac11tac
tac11tac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm just getting started, but I think that is exactly what calibre is designed for. There may or may not be DRM involved. Read the John Schember "Quick Start Guide" that gets loaded when you install and you'll get the picture.

Cheers.
tac11tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Calibre can convert only non protected books. Before doing conversion you will need to remove DRM protection from that book. However that is something nobody here can help you with since it is illegal.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
To do this you have to strip the drm first.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Knipfty
Enthusiast
Knipfty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Kindle PC/Kindle BB
hike_gc,

Once you figure out how to remove the DRM, you can use Calibre to convert the book into any number of formats, fix the metadata, and even add your own table of contents. It works really well.

Note that some Kindle books do not have DRM.
Knipfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hike_gc View Post
I own a Sony 505 and want to purchase a book only available in the Kindle format. I remember reading about converting the Kindle format somewhere on this site but of course now that I need that information, cannot locate it.
If an ebook is only available on the Kindle, it is somewhat likely to be in the TOPAZ format. This is much harder to convert for your Sony than the more common AZW format (which is identical to MOBI). The easiest way to strip DRM from AZW is to use Kindle for PC and unswindle.pyw. If you download the free sample, this script will tell you if it is TOPAZ (which it does not handle) - that way you don't have to buy the ebook to find out if it is TOPAZ.

As other have said, a DRM-free AZW is identical to MOBI and can be converted to ePub or LRF using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote