Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you write with a fountain pen?
All the time 17 19.10%
Some of the time 17 19.10%
Occasionally 23 25.84%
Haven't used a fountain pen yet 6 6.74%
People still make fountain pens? 9 10.11%
People still make pens? 1 1.12%
People still write on paper? 4 4.49%
People still write? 5 5.62%
The blue one next to the fish 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Do you write with a fountain pen?

Do you write with a fountain pen?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Very occasionally. On my birthday before last, my mother gave me my father's two fountain pens (one from childhood, one from early adulthood), coincidentally at a time when I was about to buy one new (I almost had my mouse-pointer on the "Add to cart" button). They work fine, though I've thus far used them rarely. I intend to try change that though.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My option isn't there!

I used to, but don't have a good pen anymore. I like writing with fountain pen.

Not that I write a lot these days...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
I owned a cheap one for a while ... cheap ones aren't very friendly to lots of writing. They can look the part, though!
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
My boss gave me one last week. It's a cheapo plastic one, but still, he knows I'm into retro/vintage things.

I have a habit, sometimes, of spinning a pen/penci with my fingers. I need to remember to NOT do that with this pen.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I voted always - I do sometimes write with other pens, but not often enough for my fountain pen usage to be classed as "sometimes"

I currently have 8 fountain pens (5 Waterman & 3 Lamy), and two dip nib holders (one is purely for mapping nibs, the other for calligraphy ones).
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I own a couple of fountain pens. But at work I do use a faux fountain pen.. A Pilot V4 Disposable Fountain Pen
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've used fountain pens in the past but they were too messy.
Do they still make blotting paper?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
My option isn't there!

I used to, but don't have a good pen anymore. I like writing with fountain pen.

Not that I write a lot these days...

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
ditto
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I've carried a Mont Blanc ball point pen for many years now, it's amazing how very careful l I can be about not leaving a $150 pen lying around to be lost or stolen.

At any rate, I bought a Mont Blanc fountain pen for $220 a few years ago and tried using it. It leaked ink all over my hands, so I took it back and got another. It wrote horribly, either leaving large skips or large ink blobs on the paper. So I took it back and got my money back.

I reverted to my ball point, and discovered a company that makes gel ink cartridges for Mont Blanc pens. These work extremely well, and I have been very satisfied with them for some time now.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, if you're left-handed like me, it's almost impossible to write with a fountain pen, since your hand smears what you've just written. I used to have enormous problems in English lessons in school, where we had to use fountain pens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I LOVE fountain pens, but voted occasionally. I have such a hard time finding refills! (I really need to learn to order them online). I am hoping to inherit my Dad's MontBlanc. he got it when he passed the Bar.

those disposable ones look GREAT! I'll have to see if they have them here in the US!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I LOVE fountain pens, but voted occasionally. I have such a hard time finding refills! (I really need to learn to order them online). I am hoping to inherit my Dad's MontBlanc. he got it when he passed the Bar.
Refills? All you need to refill a fountain pen is a bottle of ink.

Are you perhaps thinking of "cartridge" pens, which use a disposible ink cartridge? They are a different type of pen to fountain pens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Are you perhaps thinking of "cartridge" pens, which use a disposible ink cartridge? They are a different type of pen to fountain pens.
well the Mont Blanc uses cartridges! and of late I've only been able to find the cheap plastic ones that someone else talked about.

....actually come to think of it... I think the MontBlanc has the ability to refill or use cartridges... or Dad had two different pens and I didn't realize it
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Ahh, but these days you can get pens that take cartridges or can be filled with ink from bottles by means of a converter, so the distinction is blurred

(As an aside, one of my pens is a 1935 lever fill, and at one point it really did demonstrate one reason they might be called fountain pens . It was being a temperamental and not putting ink to the nib properly. What I usually do in these situations is squeeze or twist the sac or plunger. You can't do that with a lever fill, you have to pull the lever on the side. Which I did, without thinking. And a fountain of ink shot upwards and everywhere! I ended up sorting the problem out by attacking the nib slightly with some pliers)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote