Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #106
original-occam
original-occam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have had the SD problem, too, with an 8GB card that I had to remove to be able to use the KT.
With the 1.9.14 firmware loaded I inserted the SD card again - and got the same problem when trying to read a book stored on the card. However, this time I tried again - no difference - and then read a book stored on the device. This gave no problems - a big difference from the previous firmware version(s).
After that book I tried an SDcard book again; this time I could read it without any problems!
So, my advice to frustrated SD card users - have patience, use the KT in different modes - and perhaps it will start working properly in SD card mode!
original-occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #107
steven1979
steven1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Updating problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
Anyone having trouble updating? When I click on sync on the Kobo Ttouch, it tells me 'Preparing to update' and stays there... no progress after 20 minutes.

And when I tried it with the desktop, it just gets stuck on 'checking for updates' message.

Anyone has any idea if the servers are having trouble?
I just upgraded to the new firmware, however since I did so I can no longer update over wifi. It just hangs on Preparing to Update. Anyone else have this problem?
steven1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 AM   #108
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The new features seem to work fine, but I see the double page turn is not fixed. I know everyone wants new features, but maybe it's time to concentrate on fixing a few of the more basic issues, like the battery meter and the double page turn?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #109
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have not had one double page turn and have read ~500 pages since the update in two separate books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #110
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have not had one double page turn and have read ~500 pages since the update in two separate books.
That's great, but I have.

This problem could be easily prevented. There is never a legitimate reason for a single tap to cause two immediate page turns. This is a bug, and it should be fixed. We should not be at firmware release .14 without fixing it.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #111
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Thanks Sao, that's kind of cool!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #112
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
That's great, but I have
I wonder though, if your situation is unique, perhaps it's a hardware issue?

If I have turned hundreds of pages and never experienced the problem, can the software be questioned?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #113
kram
kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
I, too, have experienced double page turns with the latest firmware (and all previous versions as well). It could be hardware, it could be software. My bet is it's software.
kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #114
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
I also get double page turns (Books on SD card). Not as many but still there in all firmwares to date.

And sometimes 1,2 or 3 taps to get the page to turn! Then sometimes three taps gets you three fast page turns!

A purely basic core operation that does not work consistently!

I would say software is the issue. I have three touch readers and they all have the same tendencies.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #115
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I would say software is the issue. I have three touch readers and they all have the same tendencies.
Interesting.

How would you explain the fact that taming and myself haven't experienced this. I usually read while I'm in bed and I'm fairly sloppy about my page turning. Sometimes it's my knuckle or my fingernail, or sometimes it's a half-hearted swipe - yet it has never double turned.

Can the software be bad if this is the case?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #116
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think it is a problem, and I sure wish I knew what was different about the devices like mine, that do not have an issue with page turns, and the ones that do. It should be consistent across devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #117
Shankill
Nameless Being

Apart from one week about five or six weeks ago, I haven't had any double tapping issues, either. During that week, though, it struck me about five times.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #118
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Just a quick note to say that I love the new firmware. I don't use an SD card so no comment there.Page turns are slower, at least to my eyes. I can see the text changing and read it while it changes. Was too fast before to read. Must be some kind of trap checking for annotations etc. before the render. Other wise works great!
Double taps are way down from previous updates but still happen every 100 odd pages. The device just stops, tap again and skip ahead two pages. It seems to be thinking but buffers both taps.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #119
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I do experience times when I tap and it doesn't forward a page but when that happens I just try swiping and that works fine for me. Just forwards a page like it is supposed to.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #120
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Just when I thought this update had solved all my problems, another one shows up. I have not used an SD card for some time. Yesterday, I re-inserted it. Page turns are dramatically slower with the SD card in, even though I am reading a Kobo epub stored in main memory. Weird.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote