Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Orange Charging Light Won't Turn Off

I tried searching through the forum here and didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I am posting it. The orange light next to the power button on my Kindle Fire won't turn off. Not just when it's plugged in, even when it is unplugged it stays on. I tried turning off the power and even then the light is still on. I both used the software power off method as well as holding down the power button for 20 seconds and in both cases the light stays on. I left the KF charging overnight and noticed that the light didn't turn green even though it was fully charged, this is when I believe the problem started.

I tried doing a factory reset, this didn't do anything, the light stayed on. Right now I am trying to drain the battery hoping that once it completely dies the light will go off and this will somehow reset something. The only explanation I can think of is that I bought a Skinomi screen protector and applied it this weekend. It required me to spray the adhesive screen protector and apply it wet to the Kindle Fire. I left the power off for the recommended 24 hours, but this is the only thing out of the ordinary I have done with it. Has anyone else heard of or seen this problem or knows anything about it?
belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by belden View Post
I tried searching through the forum here and didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I am posting it. The orange light next to the power button on my Kindle Fire won't turn off. Not just when it's plugged in, even when it is unplugged it stays on. I tried turning off the power and even then the light is still on. I both used the software power off method as well as holding down the power button for 20 seconds and in both cases the light stays on. I left the KF charging overnight and noticed that the light didn't turn green even though it was fully charged, this is when I believe the problem started.

I tried doing a factory reset, this didn't do anything, the light stayed on. Right now I am trying to drain the battery hoping that once it completely dies the light will go off and this will somehow reset something. The only explanation I can think of is that I bought a Skinomi screen protector and applied it this weekend. It required me to spray the adhesive screen protector and apply it wet to the Kindle Fire. I left the power off for the recommended 24 hours, but this is the only thing out of the ordinary I have done with it. Has anyone else heard of or seen this problem or knows anything about it?
Check the USB Port on the Fire make sure it's not damage. You could try taking a USB and hooking it up to the PC and see if that helps. It sounds to me like a hardware problem.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Check the USB Port on the Fire make sure it's not damage. You could try taking a USB and hooking it up to the PC and see if that helps. It sounds to me like a hardware problem.
Thanks for the suggestion. I hooked the Kindle Fire up to my computer via USB, it mounted as it normally does and I was able to browse the files. One thing I did notice was that while it was being charged over USB, the light became much brighter and when it was unplugged it continued to glow but it was less powerful. It almost seems like there is an LED back behind the power button that isn't turning off.

Like I mentioned, I am trying to drain the battery but so far the light is still on. It's giving me the message that it needs to be connected to a power source before it can turn on. It's kind of ironic that right now I'm frustrated because the battery is lasting longer than I would like it to.
belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Never drain a Lithium battery totally or it can get damaged. Go down to 15% or 10% at most.

Try a super charge of 24 hours. That could make the light turn green.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
On a lot of Android devices, 0% is really about 10%-15% to prevent physical damage to the battery. Don't know if the Fire does that as well.
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by belden View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I hooked the Kindle Fire up to my computer via USB, it mounted as it normally does and I was able to browse the files. One thing I did notice was that while it was being charged over USB, the light became much brighter and when it was unplugged it continued to glow but it was less powerful. It almost seems like there is an LED back behind the power button that isn't turning off.

Like I mentioned, I am trying to drain the battery but so far the light is still on. It's giving me the message that it needs to be connected to a power source before it can turn on. It's kind of ironic that right now I'm frustrated because the battery is lasting longer than I would like it to.
It's time to call Amazon and get it replaced. It's faulty. The light is stuck on meaning their is hardware failure somewhere.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Surely the EE's that designed it would have put in a low voltage cutoff, to save the battery from destruction, besides the protection the battery may/will have built in. And the charge gauge is referenced off the cutoff voltage as 0 charge and peak voltage as 100%.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
chillywilly10284
chillywilly10284 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
I had the same problem with my kindle fire this morning I've only used it for maybe less than 10 hours in total as I got it for christmas this year so I was totally miffed. However after holding down the power button for nearly a minute, the light shut off and once I left it for a second I turned it on and huzzah! It works just fine. It did start an update right away once it was turned on so I wonder if that was the reason why it kind of glitched itself in a weird mode. Good luck I hope this helps
chillywilly10284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
On a lot of Android devices, 0% is really about 10%-15% to prevent physical damage to the battery. Don't know if the Fire does that as well.
Yes, this is common. The cells themselves should never be discharged too much or charged too much - but the devices enforce that. Obviously you shouldn't continually keep using up juice by spending a half hour trying to turn it on when it tells you it's too low to turn on - but the presence of that message is evidence of its own protection!

Go ahead and run it till it turns itself off. But I doubt this will help you. Because you said the light comes on brighter when it's really charging, it sounds like you have a small physical short and you'll need a replacement.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillywilly10284 View Post
I had the same problem with my kindle fire this morning I've only used it for maybe less than 10 hours in total as I got it for christmas this year so I was totally miffed. However after holding down the power button for nearly a minute, the light shut off and once I left it for a second I turned it on and huzzah! It works just fine. It did start an update right away once it was turned on so I wonder if that was the reason why it kind of glitched itself in a weird mode. Good luck I hope this helps
Yeah, doing a reset like that solves a good many problems. I agree though that it's probably time to call customer service for the OP.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote