Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Lector77
Lector77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
No Fetching

I love this software, but the fetch news function will not work. I have tried the 8787 thing, I have removed and reinstalled it, still nothing. It keeps telling me periodically that I'm not connected to the internet. What am I doing wrong?
Lector77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lector77 View Post
I love this software, but the fetch news function will not work. I have tried the 8787 thing, I have removed and reinstalled it, still nothing. It keeps telling me periodically that I'm not connected to the internet. What am I doing wrong?
AFAIK, "the 8787 thing" relates to an alternate port used for the content server, and won't help you at all. It isn't related to news fetching. Most likely, you have an aggressive firewall blocking Calibre from the net. Can you turn it off and retest?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Lector77

I have turned off the firewall and added it to my list of acceptable programs but it still gives me nothing.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I have turned off the firewall and added it to my list of acceptable programs but it still gives me nothing.
It sounds like a proxy problem to me. I have no experience in this area but your host file could be blocking you. I'm just a bobble head talking nonsense try reading these threads via Google.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Lector77

It's all a bunch of gobbledygook to me too, but thanks for trying.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's all a bunch of gobbledygook to me too, but thanks for trying.
I'm curious do you have any problems connecting to sites via IE?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Lector77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm curious do you have any problems connecting to sites via IE?
If by IE you mean Internet Explorer then, yes, I can't get that to work at all.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
It's likely to be broken proxy settings. Calibre respects the proxy settings in Windows. A virus can change them. Run a news download and in the log there will be a line:

Using proxies:

that should tell you what proxies are being used. You change them through Internet Explorer. See here.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
Lector77

Well, for some reason my Internet Explorer won't allow me to access the tool button. It also just says it's connecting, but it never connects to anything.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Well, for some reason my Internet Explorer won't allow me to access the tool button. It also just says it's connecting, but it never connects to anything.
You may be able to reset proxies via the registry. Google is your friend. You may also want to do a good virus scan, unless you've reset the proxy settings recently.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Quote:
It's likely to be broken proxy settings. Calibre respects the proxy settings in Windows. A virus can change them. Run a news download and in the log there will be a line:

Using proxies:

that should tell you what proxies are being used. You change them through Internet Explorer. See here.
This is why I was asking, Internet Explorer not working is a dead giveaway to something other then calibre in the computer screwed up.

Check this Google search it may help.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
Lector77

Thanks, I think I've got it figured out.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is why I was asking, Internet Explorer not working is a dead giveaway to something other then calibre in the computer screwed up.
I know. I was agreeing with your diagnosis.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I know. I was agreeing with your diagnosis.
I knew that, text is an imperfect medium of communications at times. This was directed to the original poster with further advice.