Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Kindle Keyboard 3g reading experiment

Just for fun, I wanted to see how many pages I could read on my Kindle before the power got real low. Since I'm nervous about getting too low on power, I read until it got to 1/4th.

Here's how it went:

Approximate use of WiFi during the experiment - 10 minutes
Approximate use of 3G during the experiment - 10 minutes
Kindle was in lighted cover, light use - none
Number of days Kindle used - Eight
Number of pages read (not Kindle page turns) - 1,610
Dictionary and menu randomly checked throughout the experiment.

The average number of Kindle page turns per book page was about seven, so I think that means I got 11,270 Kindle page turns.

Last edited by RDaneel54; 03-01-2012 at 02:06 AM.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
?????
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read somewhere that the Kindle 3 was rated for 6,000 page turns on a charge. Obviously it does much better.

I'm not sure what ??? Means, but maybe I answered your question. Just for info for folks.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
And you still had 25% power left. Not bad. I have travelled to Japan and back with three weeks stay, read profusely on the plane and probably about two hours a day while in Japan without haveing to charge it. Just to be safe i had a small travel charger if the need should arise, but i made it on one charge.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
I read somewhere that the Kindle 3 was rated for 6,000 page turns on a charge. Obviously it does much better...
No.

Battery drain is quite different between backlite LCD and eInk displays. The former draw the same amount of power all the time that they are on. eInk display only use power when redrawing the screen; they use no power while you are reading a particular page.

If you change screens fast enough so that you reach the "6000 screen" limit in, say, 4 hours you'll drain an eInk Kindle but only 1/2 drain a Fire.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
No.

Battery drain is quite different between backlite LCD and eInk displays. The former draw the same amount of power all the time that they are on. eInk display only use power when redrawing the screen; they use no power while you are reading a particular page.

If you change screens fast enough so that you reach the "6000 screen" limit in, say, 4 hours you'll drain an eInk Kindle but only 1/2 drain a Fire.
If you look at my OP you'll see I calculated my screen changes/pages at over 11,000 on one charge, hence my statement that the Kindle 3 did better than advertised.

I wasn't comparing to an LCD as I'm aware of eInk screens only using power when redrawing.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
So, the smaller the font size the better the battery life? And read slowly. New glasses, then!
What about audio books? Better on the speaker or on earphones?
Could be interesting doing a mixed use trial.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
So, the smaller the font size the better the battery life?
Smaller fonts would increase the battery life, because there would be more words per page and fewer page turns to read the book.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
Smaller fonts would increase the battery life, because there would be more words per page and fewer page turns to read the book.
Well yes, I had worked that out. Of course I might need new glasses
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote