Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #106
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Is Baen worth it to check out?

I've not found any of the major writers in there, but it could be that they have less known writers that don't get published (yet) by the big six.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #107
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

I've not found any of the major writers in there, but it could be that they have less known writers that don't get published (yet) by the big six.
Baen's great if you like SF/Fantasy and like checking out new writers. Because the best way to buy at Baen is their monthly bundle of six to eight ebooks for $18.

One or two will be new issue hardbacks, others new trade paperbacks, or mass market paperbacks of last year's hardbacks, and usually one back catalogue title they issued before they started doing ebooks.

The June bundle is the next available one (the May bundle came off sale a week ago).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #108
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Has anyone any opinion on BAMM for ebooks. I know they sell them but I always bought from BoB. Now, I might have to choose another store.

By they way, my uninformed opinion is that BoB is renegotiating it's contracts after the "Big Five" debaucle that just got settled. Let's hope they can come out a winner. I'm willing to wait and see. (I remember reading that once the big pub houses settled they would have to renegotiate their contracts with the little houses, and that could take months.)

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #109
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Baen has Lois Bujold, who is in my top 3 for favorite authors. It also has Sharon Lee/Steve Miller, who write the Liaden books. It's got David Weber, who does the Honor Harrington mil-sf books, and a whole bunch of other good authors. I wouldn't call them A listers, exactly (they're none of them in James Patterson territory), but better than B list. Maybe B+listers?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #110
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:

I'm a bit surprised at this question. In that Baen has a stable of writers that I always thought of as reasonably major. David Weber, David Drake, Dave Freer. I mean they've pretty much cornered the market on guys named Dave.

Maybe they are regionally important. I never thought about it that way.

I would say Baen is worth exploring, particularly if you have an interest in military Science Fiction. Though that isn't all they offer. As a publishing concern, their original work might skew to the guys a bit, but over the last few years they have really tried to branch out and sell books from other science fiction publishers. They are one of my 'go to' vendors when I'm looking for something specific.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #111
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Lesser Know Writers

McCaffrey, Heinlein, Andre Norton, Lackey, Weber, Flint, Dickson, Laumer

You must not read much SF or F
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #112
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read a lot of Fantasy, but no Science Fiction.

Of those writers mentioned, I only know McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey, but the latter has so many books that it seems she has a new title each month. Therefore I'm doubting the quality, just as I'm doubtful to keep following RA Salvatore, as he's writing faster and faster, now even enlisting the help of his son Geno Salvatore (or so it appears). Hell, I'm even doubting my second-favorite author after Tolkien (Terry Brooks). I'm going to read what comes after High Druid of Shannara, but if it's another Ohmsford to save the world I'm going to scream. Or something.

Some writers should think about doing something else instead of their 21st or 37th novel in the same world. But I understand: it's easier to write inside an existing world, especially if it's your own.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-24-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #113
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Oh, if you like fantasy, Katsunami, read Bujold's Curse of Chalion and the sequel Paladin of Souls. Or read her four-volume book the Sharing Knife series -wonderful fantasies, richly developed worlds and great magical systems, but with never a dragon, elf or wizard in sight. They're not published by Baen - I forget who publishes them. Baen, I know, publishes her Vorkosigan books, but if you don't read SF, you wouldn't like them.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #114
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Oh, if you like fantasy, Katsunami, read Bujold's Curse of Chalion and the sequel Paladin of Souls. Or read her four-volume book the Sharing Knife series -wonderful fantasies, richly developed worlds and great magical systems, but with never a dragon, elf or wizard in sight. They're not published by Baen - I forget who publishes them. Baen, I know, publishes her Vorkosigan books, but if you don't read SF, you wouldn't like them.
Thanks, I'll put those on my TBR-list. It'd be refreshing to read some non-Tolkienesque fantasy once in a while. (My last such series was a reread of Eddings' The Elenium and The Tamuli.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #115
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If you like fantasy, Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls are great. Paladin offers a woman POV, and not a warrior woman.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #116
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I read a lot of Fantasy, but no Science Fiction.
If you're wanting to check out Fantasy from Baen you might want to read The Deed of Paksenarrion (3 book omnibus).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #117
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Three books for $8.99. Not too shabby to try out indeed, and it's something else to have an epic heroine as a change
Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #118
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you're wanting to check out Fantasy from Baen you might want to read The Deed of Paksenarrion (3 book omnibus).
EXCELLENT epic fantasy series.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #119
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Of those writers mentioned, I only know McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey...
Hopefully you mean those are the only ones you've read. I'm not sure one can be a fan of SFF without having at least HEARD of Robert Heinlein and Andre Norton. I've never read any books by either, although I've read a few short stories by them and met Andre Norton several years ago. She was one of the earliest women SFF writers (along with McCaffrey and James Tiptree, Jr.).

Last edited by hwlester; 04-24-2013 at 04:20 PM.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #120
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Baen has much to recommend it but it is full of frustrating gaps. In this case I can't
find Heinlein's "Glory Road", his lone Fantasy. Norton's "Witch World" series is praised
but I can't find it there. (I think I saw #6 there once) Gordon R Dickson without "Dorsai"
or any of the "Childe Cycle" - come on! ("To Arm Bears" is there, though)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote