Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
ArrheniusZwei
ArrheniusZwei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Screen Issue with Kindle 4 (non-touch)

I'm currently running a K4, having used it for just over its 12 month warranty .

I noticed something weird lately in the kindle screen, there is this random black dot/smudge in the middle of the screen, it looks like a broken cricle of around 2-3mm wide.

Screen is not cracked and has not been used as a frisbee and have tried turning on the 'refresh e-ink' setting (don't know what it actually does but thought it would help) but to no avail, have also tried completely turning the K4 off by holding down power button for 7+ seconds, you can still see the smudge thing.

Now, I use the K4 primarily to read books so this is not a massive issue before, but I have started to use the K4 for storing pretty images and pictures (B&W as .zip) and unfortunately, its incredibly annoying to have these, lately I have started to notice another dot creeping up.

Now my questions are:

1.) is this unfixable?
2.) buying a new screen for replacement is financially unviable, should i use upgrade to a Nook or another K4/KF?
3.) The BACK of the kindle is completely discoloured (used a non-Amazon cover on it), did this happen to you? It looks completely bruised where the parts that would get the most pressure on it.

Sorry for the newb post, but this has bugged me a few weeks.
ArrheniusZwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Sounds like one (or more) of the e-ink capsules has broken, particularly since it is still there when the screen is blank. A picture would be useful in making a firm diagnosis.

If it is a broken capsule, there isn't anything to be done with it, unless you decide to replace the screen, which should cost ~$30.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The newer K4s are much better in contrast than the silver version but I'd go with a Paperwhite if you can. It's the best one but if you can't afford it the K4 Black version is a nice reader.

My K4 silver has a stained back from my cover as well. The black version has a different finish on it so I am hoping that doesn't happen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
ArrheniusZwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Sounds like one (or more) of the e-ink capsules has broken, particularly since it is still there when the screen is blank. A picture would be useful in making a firm diagnosis.

If it is a broken capsule, there isn't anything to be done with it, unless you decide to replace the screen, which should cost ~$30.
Pity to hear that, I really, really took care of it, I've had a look in the UK, but I can't find any replacement screens for $30 (£15). The least I am looking at on an online store is £35 ($70?), for that money I can wait a while and get a K4 Black when the time is right.

Thanks for the reply, very highly appreciated!!!

Last edited by ArrheniusZwei; 02-05-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
ArrheniusZwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The newer K4s are much better in contrast than the silver version but I'd go with a Paperwhite if you can. It's the best one but if you can't afford it the K4 Black version is a nice reader.

My K4 silver has a stained back from my cover as well. The black version has a different finish on it so I am hoping that doesn't happen.
Yes I've heard that, will probably get a K4B when the time is right, the extra money they want from a Paperwhite with extra functionality exceeds what I'm looking for in an e-reader. Thank You!
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Keep in mind that even if the 12 month warranty is up Amazon might be able to do something for you. If not an actual replacement they might offer a discount on something new to help some. So it's probably worth contacting them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely contact Kindle Customer Service; they'll certainly be able to help you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

I slipped a piece of paper between the Kindle back and the cover.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I slipped a piece of paper between the Kindle back and the cover.
It's a little to late for me to do that. My K4S is in a leather Kobo Touch sleeve now and the K4B has moved to that case. It's a Marware case by the way which I will never get again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote