Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
kr236rk
kr236rk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Kindlegen?

Hi,

How do you unzip / extract the Kindlegen file on Windows 7 please?

Have successfully downloaded Kindlegen but cannot unzip it. Consequently cannot run the "c:kindlegen" command line, so stuck basically

I have a Windows7, 64bit.

Help appreciated please.

Thanks,

Ric
kr236rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Simply download KindlePreviewer it comes with a copy of KindleGen. (It'll be installed in the ..\Amazon\Kindle Previewer\lib folder.)
BTW, you don't need to use the command line unless you need to specify non-standard parameters. Just open the source file with KindlePreviewer to automatically compile it to a .mobi file with KindleGen.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
kr236rk

Thumbs up :) thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Simply download KindlePreviewer it comes with a copy of KindleGen. (It'll be installed in the ..\Amazon\Kindle Previewer\lib folder.)
BTW, you don't need to use the command line unless you need to specify non-standard parameters. Just open the source file with KindlePreviewer to automatically compile it to a .mobi file with KindleGen.
Oh that's brilliant - thanks :] - the KindlePreviewer downloaded & opened - no worries

So i guess when I have my EPUB file all done & dusted (or even the original Word docx) I can just open it in KP to convert it to MOBI?

Ric
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr236rk View Post
So i guess when I have my EPUB file all done & dusted (or even the original Word docx) I can just open it in KP to convert it to MOBI?
You can only compile .html and .epub files with KP/Kindlegen. You'd have to save your .docx file as a filtered .html file first.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
kr236rk

Thumbs up .epub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You can only compile .html and .epub files with KP/Kindlegen. You'd have to save your .docx file as a filtered .html file first.
Thanks Doitsu - I'd probably go for the .epub then.

Ric
Advert