Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #1696
dtp
dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW1
Does Fonthack-Margins 5.4.4 work for 5.4.4.1? Fonts are working. Or modifications of margins are so minute that I don't see it?
This is the first time I installed Fonthack.
Can someone post a pic of Kindle with changed margins please?
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #1697
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
Does Fonthack-Margins 5.4.4 work for 5.4.4.1?
Don't work. Here new hack for PW 5.4.4.1 and PW2 5.4.3.1:
www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2527653&postcount=1431

Attention: 5.4.4.1 not tested!
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #1698
dtp
dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
Don't work. Here new hack for PW 5.4.4.1 and PW2 5.4.3.1:
www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2527653&postcount=1431

Attention: 5.4.4.1 not tested!
I tested 5.4.4.1, it does work.
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:15 AM   #1699
pgfiore
Enthusiast
pgfiore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Fascinating.
I moved my papwerwhite 1st to 5.4.4 (as per Device Info). I did not feel confortable w/o JBPatch and decided to go back.
Then I copy the 5.3.4 to the root, safely remove the device and... The file disappeared!
redo
reboot
redo
now way, the bin file disappears quite immediately (the update is always grey, of course).
Any hints? many many thanks. Ciao
pgfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #1700
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Can't downgrade from FW >= 5.4.2.1 this way. There's a thread with a workaround in here, though .

EDIT: You're in luck, it was sitting in my notifications pile: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235413

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-18-2014 at 06:34 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #1701
mfp12
mfp12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Warning: 5.4.4 file can NOT be directly used on 5.4.4.1. I modified Reader-plugin.jar to enable pdf reflow which works in 5.4.4 (kpw1) perfectly. After upgrade to 5.4.4.1, and reinstall jailbreak and usbnet, I copied 5.4.4 Reader-plugin.jar file without too much thought. Now I have a brick instead of an ebook.

Initially it just reboot continuously. After 7 or 8 reboot, went to YKNR screen. I didn't panic since USB storage still could be seen and I remember the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE trick. I did it, got relaxed when I saw select language screen. But maybe too relaxed , I selected the US as before, then another YKNR screen. And this time it's totally bricked, and USB storage is not shown up. Pushing power button for 7 seconds (or 30 sec, or 2 mins), it will go to big tree screen with turning stick for about 20 sec, then screen light up with YKNR, then light off and stay on YKNR.

After reading the whole thread of debricking, yes I read all 86 pages, I got conclusion the only way now is tear down to use serial port. Or any good suggestion?

Hindsight 1: I should copy out 5.4.4.1 jar file, find the place to make change, then copy back. This x.x.x.1 fools me. I thought the change should be minor enough.

Hindsight 2: If I had rescue pack installed, it would have been breeze to restore the original jar file. I always wanted to install it, but ....

Hindsight 3: If I choose UK language after DO_FACTORY_RESTORE, kpw1 would have used different jar file and bypass the bad file.

Last edited by mfp12; 04-18-2014 at 08:28 PM.
mfp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #1702
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
It's a headche that the margins hack must be updated for most of the firmware updates. It's not possible to do it with a kual script like the battery %?
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #1703
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchamaco View Post
It's a headche that the margins hack must be updated for most of the firmware updates. It's not possible to do it with a kual script like the battery %?
nope - margin changes are in the Java code.

Sun gave up on the "Java PC" product line as a "bad idea" a couple of decades ago, but some other manufacturers haven't gotten the word yet.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #1704
pgfiore
Enthusiast
pgfiore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Can't downgrade from FW >= 5.4.2.1 this way. There's a thread with a workaround in here, though .

EDIT: You're in luck, it was sitting in my notifications pile: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235413
Yep, had been a lucky guy most of my life
... and thank btw
pgfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #1705
SCrid2000
SCrid2000 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfiore View Post
Fascinating.
I moved my papwerwhite 1st to 5.4.4 (as per Device Info). I did not feel confortable w/o JBPatch and decided to go back.
Then I copy the 5.3.4 to the root, safely remove the device and... The file disappeared!
redo
reboot
redo
now way, the bin file disappears quite immediately (the update is always grey, of course).
Any hints? many many thanks. Ciao
I'm having the exact same problem.
SCrid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #1706
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
I'm having the exact same problem.
If you're having the exact same problem, I'm guessing you need the exact same answer...

Quote:

If this doesn't work, you need to give a lot more info...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #1707
SCrid2000
SCrid2000 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
If you're having the exact same problem, I'm guessing you need the exact same answer...
*facepalm* I should read better before posting lol

The problem I'm having is similar - the JBPatch bin disappears from my Kindle as soon as I disconnect it from my PC (tried using USBNet to transfer over wifi too, same problem) so I can't install JBPatch. Is this a security thing kindle included in 5.4.3.1?
SCrid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:47 AM   #1708
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
*facepalm* I should read better before posting lol

The problem I'm having is similar - the JBPatch bin disappears from my Kindle as soon as I disconnect it from my PC (tried using USBNet to transfer over wifi too, same problem) so I can't install JBPatch. Is this a security thing kindle included in 5.4.3.1?
The usual reason:
The package you placed on the Kindle is not for that model Kindle/version of the software.

I.E: Packages are both signed and "model locked".

You can look up the first four characters of your Kindle's serial number to see what our name for your model is:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #1709
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On a sidenote, you won't be able to do much with JBPatch on 5.4.x anyway, but, hey, if you're here to update patches, knock yourself out .

EDIT: Meaning you won't be able to do anything at all on a PW2, no JBPatch release has even ever been packaged for that device.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-05-2014 at 09:32 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #1710
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
On a sidenote, you won't be able to do much with JBPatch on 5.4.x anyway, but, hey, if you're here to update patches, knock yourself out .
That would be a great graduation present for Dr. IxTab -
To return here and find the patch sets have been updated.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks