Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #106
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The two most deserving American Nobel laureates in literature, IMO.
I'd like to add Steinbeck to the list.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #107
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I would add to that, Fifty Shades...
I delete any of these from my "recommended for you" sections of book seller sites - and teen vampire books. I like my vampires old, ugly and nasty!
My problem with this thread is that I can't remember most of the names of books I have discarded after 20 pages. Ken Follet and Dan Brown have irritated me, but I just avoid their books.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #108
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Just like with movies, I run away from anything that's referred to as 'heartwarming', 'life affirming' or 'feel good'. I like those things in real life but I don't want them in my entertainments.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #109
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Fifty Shades of Grey and any book that falls under the genre of erotica. Disgusting and repulsive.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #110
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Just like with movies, I run away from anything that's referred to as 'heartwarming', 'life affirming' or 'feel good'. I like those things in real life but I don't want them in my entertainments.
I avoid anything referred to as "luminous."
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #111
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I avoid anything referred to as "luminous."
Or "sparkling"...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #112
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm always wary of anything that has created a buzz... just in the way some of those over-hyped blockbuster films like Independence day usually turn out to be all special effects and no plot.

Anything with 'gritty realism' or 'hard hitting'. The kinds of thrillers that are sold pushily. Ugh. Total turn off. Most indie thrillers then.

Mislit. There's enough misery in the Real World without having it pushed in my face every time I read a book. I read to escape.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #113
rah68
readaholic
rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm have a hell of hard time figuring out just how I would determine what I wouldn't be willing to read for any amount of money, without A) actually reading at least part of it first for nothing ... and B) any amount of money??? Just how high are we talking here?
old story......
would you do it for $5???
Hell no !!
Would you do it for $5,000,000 ??
Hell Yes !!!

Good......now that we kinow what you are, lets negotiate the price
rah68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #114
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I agree that is what you live in your life. I want all the things I would never want in my life in my books where they need to stay

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #115
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Fiction wise?
All the erotic/romance shite that has book covers plastered with naked dudes.

Non-fiction wise?
Anything that involves chemistry and formulas. Textbooks like.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #116
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can think of a few things I wouldn't read, but they're all in the "disgusting" category—tales of pedophilia, incest, racist books; that kind of garbage. Other than that, I'm pretty much like anyone else who works in the oldest profession in the world. I'll read anything if the pay is right.
This is exactly why I would never read Lolita *shudder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
*Science Fiction
*Fantasy
*Cheesy romance
*The Old Man and the Sea
*Anything by Diana Gabaldon
*Anything by or about a celebrity
*Anything by or about a politician with the exception of The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
No sci-fi, no fantasy What do you read, then?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #117
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Anything really gory or horrifying. But sometimes I don't find out until I read them!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #118
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
There is a lot of writing out there that is written for the writer rather than the reader. Lots of academic writing falls into this category (i know that they have to publish or perish, but still...) So do books supposedly written by pols & CEOs. No thanks. And no Ayn Rand, either.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've always been puzzled by the "... they couldn't pay me to read" thing. Is the OP seriously saying that he wouldn't spend a few hours reading a book he didn't enjoy if, as a result of doing so, he was paid a large enough sum of money to live in luxury for the rest of his life? I'd go for it like a shot, personally!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #120
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've always been puzzled by the "... they couldn't pay me to read" thing. Is the OP seriously saying that he wouldn't spend a few hours reading a book he didn't enjoy if, as a result of doing so, he was paid a large enough sum of money to live in luxury for the rest of his life? I'd go for it like a shot, personally!
I suggest that it's more of an expression than an absolute. I'll often be found saying "I'd rather slit my own throat" or variations on that theme when asked if I watched a particular programme on TV. With perhaps the exception of Jeremy Clarkson, I'm only joking .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lance armstrong, pippa middleton