Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #241
lady_morana
lady_morana began at the beginning.

Device: Axim V50, MobilePro 770
this sucks

The problem is that I have 2 in the same shape. Both tried a factory reset. multiple times. Neither worked.

They have a 1 year guarantee. Both lasted less than 3 months.

So when it happens again, Sure I can get a new one sent to me for up to a year. But after that I have to just toss it away.

So I spent all that money one something that MIGHT only be good for 1 year. There is nothing I can do at home to fix this problem. From what I am reading, it happens a LOT! There is no restore disk. There is a limited time guarantee.

My last book reader lasted for 4 years and cost the same amount of money.

And I cannot even get a new white one. They are out indefinitely. I have to now have 2 black ones. And they said up to 8 weeks for the delivery of the new ones...after I receive my box to mail it back in. And I was told a new box would arrive 2 weeks ago.

Sorry for the rant, but I thought that this might be at least a semi decent book reader. Shouldnt have been suckered in I guess.
lady_morana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #242
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Sorry that it didn't work for you. I'd be a little bent if mine didn't work too.

Mine came from Woot and after reading some of the horror stories, I think I was lucky to get one that worked correctly. Even if it did take almost 3 weeks to ship and another 3 weeks to get to my house.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #243
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
I have two of them and both have held up quite well. They do lock up from time to time but not often enough to be a major problem and easy to resolve by resetting with a paperclip. I now keep a paper clip ready at all times by taping it to the back of the device.

The marking on the next/prior page buttons wore out pretty quickly but I fixed that with a bit of automobile touch-up paint and clear nail polish lacquer to protect the paint. That fix has held up splendidly.
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #244
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Device: Literati
Lucky here, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
I have two of them and both have held up quite well.
We got 2 black ones for under $50 each and we've gotten our money's worth. The few paper clip resets and the bit of work to understand how to use it are offset by the joys of having color pix.

I tuck a corner of a sheet of paper-hole reinforcers into the case, behind the reader, and my paper clip is attached to it. That gives me a reset wherever I am and I use a reinforcer around one page-turner arrow.
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #245
LasVegas7
LasVegas7 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati, Nook Color, Kindle Fire, Ipad mini
Hello,
Does anyone know if there will be anymore updates for the Literati? I have the 2.0 firmware update for the past few months. I have viewed the Literati website and it does not appear to have changed.

Thank You!!
LasVegas7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #246
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegas7 View Post
Does anyone know if there will be anymore updates for the Literati? I have the 2.0 firmware update for the past few months.
I was hoping they would since there seems to be so much that could be done.

For me it's a sorry state of affairs -- they have a website but they don't keep it current and they offer to reply via the site and then ignore the inquiries. Having a pretty good experience with the ereaders themselves, what would keep DH & I as return customers would be our knowing that we could always count on good support.
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #247
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
I was hoping they would since there seems to be so much that could be done.

For me it's a sorry state of affairs -- they have a website but they don't keep it current and they offer to reply via the site and then ignore the inquiries. Having a pretty good experience with the ereaders themselves, what would keep DH & I as return customers would be our knowing that we could always count on good support.
Based simply on the fact that they sold for under $50; I'd have to conclude they were dumped and the vendor is glad to be rid of them. I don't expect any updates will be coming.
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #248
Arwym
Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arwym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Literati eReader, B&N Nook Simple Touch
I bought the Literati for $60 yesterday, on Marshalls. I was immensely happy – my first eReader, after all. I had not a single problem... Until this morning, when I tried to transfer a file to the reader via my Macbook, and the disk, apparently, got corrupted. So I could no longer write to it, only read and copy. I had to reformat the disk to regain write permissions to it, and now its size has been "reduced" from 252MB to 210MB.

My question is: can this "lost" space really not be recovered in any way? I mean, I read somewhere that this apparently lost space is not really lost, but just inaccessible. Do you know if there is any way to gain access to it once more? If there isn't, then I will have to assume that the only safe way to add books to my reader is through an SD card... Because I can't even eject the disk properly when I connect it to the Mac. In fact, I believe this is the source of the problem.

If I cannot solve this, then I better just give up on it and return it... I still have the receipt. Honestly, I feel very frustrated. I was so happy about finally having an eReader, and then this happened...
Arwym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #249
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
210 Meg is the right number. 252 is the full capacity of the memory and the CPU and database need a portion of that. It is best to use an SD card for eBooks and keep the internal memory for database things IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #250
klu529
klu529 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerM3 View Post
My (white) Literati no longer remembers my place when it is powered off. It does place a bookmark correctly when I put it to sleep. But when fully powered off and started up, it does not return to the correct page.

I already did a full factory restore - didn't help.

Other suggestions?
I was able to recreate this problem. I'm not sure if it is the same problem as the original person above. Some of my epub books I have on my SD card would not remember the last page I read. If I put it to sleep or go to the home page and back, it would be fine. But turning the device off then back on, brings the book back to some other location. It would be this same location everytime I open that book. Sometime it would be the first page, others it is some other random page, but the same page every time for that book.

For me, the problem turned out to be the epub file. I used Calibre to convert an html file. The html file had links for chapters. Calibre converted these links into the TOC. The problem comes when I try to jump to a chapter from the Literati. It jumps, but takes a long time. Once it jumps, the entire device is slow. After this, the bookmark feature fails for this book. Other books are fine as long as I don't try to jump to a chapter.

I think this is a bug in Calibre. So my fix was to use a program called mobicreater, which creates .mobi (amazon compatible) ebooks, to convert my html files. Then I used Calibre to convert the mobi to an epub. The chapters work perfectly without the lag and the bookmark features work.

I'm going to try to investigate the 2 epubs and see what the difference is from html -> epub versus html -> mobi -> epub. I haven't tried using Calibre to go from html to mobi. I'll try that too and report back by finding.
klu529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #251
pouncer
pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: literati
Do the tips and tricks for the KOBO reader work on the Literati? For instance -- changing the startup screen?
pouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #252
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Both of mine are at 2.0 & are Doing great!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #253
Craigwd_2000
Craigwd_2000 began at the beginning.

Calibre & the Literati...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
Are you using the reset hole on the back or doing the factory reset found in the settings/advanced menu?

The reset on the back will just restart the Literati and is useful if a button is not working or a book is not formatted correctly and has locked the reader up. The factory reset will restore the reader to factory trim and you'll need to re-enter passwords and re-sync to get books back on it.

http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/3714...on-my-literati

Michael

PS, altho it looks like I posted the info in the above link, it wasn't me
I was wondering how exactly do I know when I should perform a Factory Reset of my Literati... I have the black Literati & the model number is 19023... I've tried transferring some PDFs & ePubs to my FAT32 formatted 8 GB SDHC Card but my Literati can't see any of my eBooks... I'm currently using Calibre 0.8.11...: I downgraded my PC from Vista/7 x64 due to some incompatible hardware...

I used Calibre & various websites to convert all of my eBooks into either ePub or PDF & saved them directly to my SDHC Card via the Save to Disk option in Calibre. Should I transfer books to my Literati in a more direct fashion by doing it with the SDHC Card in my Literati while it's hooked up via our TomTom USB 2.0 cable or how should I go about re-building the internal database of my Literati...?

Last edited by Craigwd_2000; 07-24-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Craigwd_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #254
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Have you checked the "Docs" tab?

My PDFs (and from that I assume all personal content) seem to end up there instead of in the Library.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #255
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
Have you checked the "Docs" tab?

My PDFs (and from that I assume all personal content) seem to end up there instead of in the Library.

Michael
Correct, only epubs appear in your library.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote