Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 03:46 AM   #16
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I have small-to-medium sized hands for a woman. Specifically, I have pretty short fingers (I'm 5'2", so fairly short - let's not talk about volume) Here's a photo of how I hold my K3 in the Amazon lighted case. I can do this with either hand. I can't reach the Prev-page button without the use of the other hand, but I don't need that very often, so it's not an issue for me.
This is how I hold my K2, but I have pretty long fingers (I'm 5'11'' ) so my thumb just barely touches the bottom of the "previous page" button. If I need to go back a page I reach my index finger around to press the button.

According to the side by side on Amazon, the buttons appear to be positioned in about the same location which makes me happy since I'm going to gift the K2 to the BF and get a K3 sometime soon
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Well, you know, they do say great minds think alike
Great!
lucky people who have hands which can turn to face them. For those who do not, the cover can be an essential aid, even though this does add to the weight

--John

Last edited by andavane; 09-10-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: omission
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
I believe that the K3 is a bit top heavy when holding it such that your thumbs rest on the page turn button. I believe I'd like the buttons a half inch to an inch higher up along the sides.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Roger that.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
The K3 is easy to hold one-handed - especially coverless because it is so light. I hold mine in my right hand and the bottom part of my thumb rests over the next page button and does all the pressing. The top of my thumb reaches the previous page button when needed. I used to have the Sony Touch reader and I think it is less movement for your hand with the Kindle buttons than the swiping action I used to employ with the Sony.
I do it pretty bunch the same but with a cover.

Having bigger hands (or is it just old age) the added thickness
of the cover makes it a more comfortable grip with the cover on.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I also hold my K3 in one hand (usually my left) with my lighted case folded back, and am able to manipulate the page turn buttons with my thumb...although, I do have a little difficulty reaching the "previous page" button. Thankfully, I do not have to use it often.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
I'm a woman and have relatively small hands, but I'm able to hold it in one hand (either side) and press the 'forward' page button with the same hand. (I usually use the other hand for the 'page back' button if I need it. )

I use a case, and I can fold it back and use the left-side buttons just fine. (I love my case. It's the CE Compass case, and cost me just under $10 at Amazon.)
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #23
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I believe that the K3 is a bit top heavy when holding it such that your thumbs rest on the page turn button. I believe I'd like the buttons a half inch to an inch higher up along the sides.
As I said I agree with this. From a completely different thread in another forum, for a different reason, someone flipped the display upside down using the Aa button. I'm going to try this because the page turn buttons will be higher on the Kindle when it's held upside down.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #24
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Entirely natural. I hold mine in my palm, with my thumb about half way up the side. That way I can press the "next page" button with the base of my thumb with a slight rolling action, without having to move my hand at all.
Quote:
The K3 is easy to hold one-handed - especially coverless because it is so light. I hold mine in my right hand and the bottom part of my thumb rests over the next page button and does all the pressing. The top of my thumb reaches the previous page button when needed. I used to have the Sony Touch reader and I think it is less movement for your hand with the Kindle buttons than the swiping action I used to employ with the Sony.

Pretty much how I was doing it until lately, especially Harry's technique. I have average man hand's FYI.

But I got a twist on this technique I will be using exclusively. Those more lazy amongst you may appreciate this:

I think from what Harry describes we are doing things the same. But I am now holding my hands on the K3 in an asymmetrical fashion and I like it better. I am righty so now to page forward, I simply use the meat of my inner right thumb/towards my right wrist to depress/roll over the larger forward key, mush as Harry describes.

To page back, i use the tip of my left thumb which is positioned always over the left side back button.

Nearly no detectable movement of my hands at all. Maximum efficiency IMO with the least amount of effort.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
As I said I agree with this. From a completely different thread in another forum, for a different reason, someone flipped the display upside down using the Aa button. I'm going to try this because the page turn buttons will be higher on the Kindle when it's held upside down.
I've read it flipped upside down and it works just as well. (That's a very nice feature of the Kindle, by the way.) With small hands, though, I find the traditional way works best for one-handed reading, though, since I can 'cup' in better in my hand and still read the page turn buttons. I suspect they put them a little lower down, rather than centering them, to accommodate all the different hand sizes.
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I hold mine one handed. I have 3 of my fingers supporting the unit from behind and my pinkie supports the reader from below leaving my thumb to be able to press the page button. I can do it with either hand. Of course I also have the stand that I bought for it not long ago so if I get tired of holding it I can rest it on the stand too. I usually leave mine in the case I bought for it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote