Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 17 13.08%
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 13 10.00%
The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon 24 18.46%
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! by Terry Brooks 6 4.62%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 22 16.92%
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8 6.15%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 5 3.85%
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 8 6.15%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 11 8.46%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #91
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Awesome. A book I've actually read and might even be able to go back over and discuss, this time around.

But now I'm kind of curious. Will parts 2 & 3 of Deed of Paksenarrion end up in the noms for next month, just to see if the discussion could be continued?

In any case, one of the other nominations, Naomi Novik's "His Majesty's Dragon" is currently a promo freebie download at Random House's Suduvu Free Library site. It'll probably disappear in a few days, so get it while it's still there if you want it (or know someone who does).

They've also a couple of free short stories by Elizabeth Moon set in the Paksenarrion world. WARNING: the descriptions are a bit spoilery for some stuff that apparently happens in "Deed".
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #92
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
But now I'm kind of curious. Will parts 2 & 3 of Deed of Paksenarrion end up in the noms for next month, just to see if the discussion could be continued?
It could be, next month is free for all. However, if book 1 is good, I plan to read the full trilogy... since I will be getting all three books for $6. (yes I know there is a way to get them from free on the bane CD archives).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would suggest reading the whole thing if you're able to. I enjoyed the final book in the trilogy the most.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #94
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would suggest reading the whole thing if you're able to. I enjoyed the final book in the trilogy the most.
I agree. The whole thing is shorter than LotR. It's got a good healthy page count, but it's not too bad.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #95
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We have a winner!

The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon

Go forth and read. I am really happy this one won.

BOb
Excellent. I shall enjoy the re-read. And then I might go on to the sequel.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #96
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Good stuff... Now where can I find this book?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #97
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Yes, I just checked my Kindle and to my surprise I already got the book on my Kindle. Must have gotten it from Amazon when it was a freebie or bought it and forgot about it.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #98
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Good stuff... Now where can I find this book?
It's free.

http://www.webscription.net/p-587-sh...-daughter.aspx

Available in HTML, RTF, Mobi/Kindle, EPub, Microsoftv .lit, Sony LRF and ebookwise/Rocket formats...

All DRM-free.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #99
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just started reading it. The first 3 chapters rock.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #100
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I started it this morning. Seems okay, but I think I may have lost my taste for fantasy (been years since I read any).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #101
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I loaded it onto my reader, the opening seems promising....I'm not a big fantasy reader either though...we'll see...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #102
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I started reading it yesterday, and even though fantasy is not my preferred genre at all, I really got into the book very quickly and, being halfway through, pretty much decided to buy the other parts of "The Deed of Paksenarrion".
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #103
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
In any case, one of the other nominations, Naomi Novik's "His Majesty's Dragon" is currently a promo freebie download at Random House's Suduvu Free Library site. It'll probably disappear in a few days, so get it while it's still there if you want it (or know someone who does).

They've also a couple of free short stories by Elizabeth Moon set in the Paksenarrion world. WARNING: the descriptions are a bit spoilery for some stuff that apparently happens in "Deed".
Hi,

I followed that link, and I only got a glimpse of the front page before I was redirected to a sign-in page. Is this normal? I don't like it much. I like to have a look at a site and decide whether or not I trust it, before I give them my e-mail address (which I assume is necessary to sign on).

Sorry for being off topic
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #104
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
scratch that...

Last edited by glowhappy; 07-01-2010 at 02:20 PM.
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #105
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Hi,I followed that link, and I only got a glimpse of the front page before I was redirected to a sign-in page. Is this normal? I don't like it much. I like to have a look at a site and decide whether or not I trust it, before I give them my e-mail address (which I assume is necessary to sign on).
Argh. It looks like they've done something to the website so that if it's your first visit on a particular browser, it redirects you to the front page instead.

Idiots. It's like they're trying to drive people away.

Anyways, no need to fill out any email info. Just click on the "Free Library" link on the blue navigation section across the centre-top of their content on the homepage, just below the giant "Suduvu" animation and the ad banner and right above the Search box, and then scroll past the box on the actual "Suduvu Free Book Library" page which asks you for your email to "New Titles This Month", and merrily download away.

"His Majesty's Dragon" is no longer free in the affiliated Kindle/Sony/Nook stores, but you can still download the PDF version (if you can't, please PM me).

The Elizabeth Moon Paksenarrion tie-in stories are under "More Suduvu Free Books". They're PDF only, and the descriptions next to them are spoilery for the Deed of Paksenarrion, so don't read them when you right-click/save if you haven't finished the original trilogy.

They've also some Star Wars novellas and a short story from the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction if anyone's interested.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-01-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Clearer instructions, since that site seems to have made itself deliberately confusing.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote