Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
PRS-300 case quality ... worse than PRS-505

Hi!

I just received my PRS-300. A friend of mine bought it in a Sony Store, in Orlando, USA and flew it back to me. Btw, he used it in the plane (first contact with an ereader) and was very suprised by the screen quality -wich is logical, given the eink screen-. He is considering buying one for himself.

Anyway, me being a former owner of a PRS-505, I can say the following:

1) Eink screen: top notch.

2) Processor speed: I definitely notice a faster response, so maybe the firmware was further optimized in all these years (which seems to be about the same as in the prs-505, interfase-wise). Anyone knows if the processor / processor speed is the same as prs-505 ?

3) The construction sucks: The metal casing seems just to be a very thin skin, over plastic. The upper and lower parts are separated. There are something like streaks running from top to bottom, as if the machining needed to extrude these metal papers was not 100% smoothed out. the metal skin / plastic covers are noy evenly closing the sides: I can see a small glitch around the power buttom (which is also plastic btw), on the casing closing.

4) The neoprene like glove cover is better than nothing, yes, but a far low solution cry compared with the booklike covers of the PRS.505.

5) New size: I can grasp it from the back with only one hand. It is a convenient size and weight. For now, I prefer it over my PRS-505.

6) I installed the sony ebook reader software version 3.0 (I downloaded it from SONY website, instead of using the version that comes inside the reader -HOW DO I DELETE THAT EXTRA DISK UNIT ??-). Then I proceeded to the Bookstore. I logged in OK. It recognized my new PC. It DID NOT allow me to delete my OLD PC. It did NOT recognize my new reader as a different device from the PRS-505. I pressed DOWNLOAD on a purchased book, and it ended up INSIDE my PRS-300 anyway, in readable format. I always thought that there is a pairing process and the sony bookstore would check that I was pluging in my "registered" device, but it seems it is not the case.

REgards,
SigmaX

ps. Now, I am being too touchy with it ? no, I feel that it is ok to be of poorer construction quality.

Last edited by sigmax; 10-21-2009 at 07:52 AM.
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I agree that the 505 cover is much better than the 300's pouch. But I think the construction of the 300 is pretty solid. I don't see any of these lines, mismatches, etc. in my 300's case. The finish is a uniform, micrograined metallic surface. Maybe yours got scratched up in transit? It feels like a compact, solid unit and I'm not afraid to carry it around in my pants pocket.

Also, I have noticed that the 300 seems a bit slower than the 505 with respect to loading, page turns, etc. Not faster.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
My 300 looks and feel pleasantly solid too, is DRMoze right and is yours damaged?
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
Well, DrMoze ... what can I say Mine is a bit faster than prs505, but is like "not smooth micromachined metal". Maybe two different factories / versions ? I will disassemble mine, in order to see the eink screen brand... I will keep you informed ....

Dura: It is certainly not a scratch from transit: I can see the "extrusion pattern" over the metal sheet that covers the casing, very evenly, even on the curved side (right side) which I think would be difficult to produce after it is assembled as a final piece.

It is BARELY noticeable. I mean, it is not like "oh my god, the metal sheet is ripping / peeling away" but certainly it is NOT the finish that my prs-505 had.

Regards,

SigmaX

Last edited by sigmax; 10-21-2009 at 04:36 PM.
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Just came across this thread again. Here's what I found more recently:

The 300's casing is solid and sturdy, and has held up perfectly from being carried around (often in a front pants pocket) over the past 4 months or so. The silver finish is slightly prone to scratches from when I was using the pouch, but there haven't been any noticeable new ones since I bought the Sony flip cover.

The front and back of the case have a uniform micrograined texture/finish. The LEFT side (the 'spine' of the Reader if it were a book) is rounded and it does have a slight vertical lined texture, distinct from the rest of the surface but subtle. This is an intentional design finish--it sort of simulates the creases in a book spine, although again, very subtly. It is NOT a manufacturing flaw or defect.

Just wanted to clarify this.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert