Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
Just ordered iLiad v2

Hello,
I spent a few weeks reading around the forums here at mobileread.com and reading eReader reviews around the Internet. I really had a hard time deciding what to get. However, I finally made a decision early this morning (1am) and made my order. I ordered the iRex iLiad v2 from Dymocks On-line and the leather cover to go with it.

I am very excited now and feeling quite impatient. lol. The delivery is coming via courier from Sydney to Geelong. It may arrive tomorrow (if I am lucky), but it may not arrive until Monday.

My reasoning behind ordering the iLiad includes the fact that it has WiFi, a touch screen and that I can 'print' to it from a PC. I read a lot of PDFs (computer text books) on the PC screen at the moment, so the iLiad should be a bit easier on my eyes. I currently read paperbacks and ebooks on my Palm TX.

I am quite into gadgets (very geeky) and I liked that the iLiad can be updated and tweeked with software, so I am going to have a lot of fun there.

I am going to spend my free time tonight, sorting through my ebooks and deciding what ones need to be converted for the iLiad. I will have a problem though in that I have some secure eReader (for Palm TX) books. DRM hurts the people who buy legitimately, huh.

Well, I am glad to join you all here in the iLiad forum.

Jodi
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
Congrats again, Jodi! You can read my first impressions that I just posted in this forum as I just got my iLiad today.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
millydog
Connoisseur

Yes, I just read and responded to your first impressions. They are great.
I can't wait to get mine.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by millydog View Post
I will have a problem though in that I have some secure eReader (for Palm TX) books.
The python script ereader2html.py will strip the DRM from eReader ebooks, probably not legal but it is hard to see who is hurt by doing this for personal use on ebooks you bought. FBReader should be able to read the resulting HTML, but it is simplest to convert to MOBI using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
millydog
Connoisseur

Thank you wallcraft. I will search for that tonight when I get home from work.
It will be good to get all of my books onto the iLiad.
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Hey milly,

looks like your usage pattern of the device will be similar to mine: I'm in geeky gadgets too, and I can tell that you will love your device. SSHing into it and messing around is just wonderful

Did you order the iLiad Deluxe cover, or which one is it? I heard some warning stories about it and went for an M-Edge cover instead (the UPS guy should be right around the corner...)
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
gromit62
Addict
gromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad V2 / Sony PRS-505, -T2, EBG DD-1Ex / Notion Ink A.
Is the buildin WiFi the only difference to the iliad-ebook-edition ?
Maybe it´s possible to get a CF-WiFi-Card working in the CF-slot ?
gromit62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit62 View Post
Is the buildin WiFi the only difference to the iliad-ebook-edition ?
Yes, besides color and material (the v2 is covered with some kind of rubber, while the Book edition is more sleek). And you get 50 free books from Feedbooks.com shipped with the Book edition.
Quote:
Maybe it´s possible to get a CF-WiFi-Card working in the CF-slot ?
As seen in the other thread, there is no experience with that yet. As I said there, it's possible that it might work, but definitely not out of the box. You would need to compile the right kernel modules for that. And I don't know if the Book edition connectionMgr can handle external CF cards properly.

BTW: Where exactly in Germany are you from? If you live near Münster you might get a glance at both devices, as I have both editions at hand.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
millydog
Connoisseur

Unfortunately, the delivery didn't arrive today. I am tracking the delivery on-line and thought that it would travel from Sydney to Melbourne during the night, but it didn't and it only arrived in Melbourne this evening....so looks like a delivery on Monday now.
So, I don't get to play with it over the weekend and when it arrives on Monday I will be in a Java training course. Oh well. I will be able to grab it during a break in my course (since the course is at my work and the iLaid is being delivered there too) and connect it up to charge. I am sure that I will wish that I could play with it.

Hi Thomas, yes, I will love SSHing and messing around, I am sure. Looking forward to it. How much time do you spend 'playing' with it and how much time do you just spend reading? I am interested to see what I do myself.

gromit62, I think that you are correct with the difference, v2 has WiFi and the Book Edition doesn't. I contemplated which one to get, WiFi would not be necessary for me if I was just going to read books, but I love to play with my gadgets and I thought that I would find it useful to have WiFi since I have it both at home and at work (although the WiFi at work is often tricky/impossible with some devices due to the highly secure network used).
Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
-Thomas-
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by millydog View Post
Hi Thomas, yes, I will love SSHing and messing around, I am sure. Looking forward to it. How much time do you spend 'playing' with it and how much time do you just spend reading? I am interested to see what I do myself.
This question made me smile At the beginning it was 50/50, but now I tend to read more than I play with it's internals. I wasn't a heavy reader in the beginning, so buying the device was maybe not the wisest decision. But somehow I had to justify the €650 purchase, so I started reading a little more...
Old 02-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
gromit62
Addict
gromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad V2 / Sony PRS-505, -T2, EBG DD-1Ex / Notion Ink A.
Hi Thomas,

thanks for your response and please excuse my bad english. As you know, I´am from Germany and I got lack of practise to speak and write english. Too long ago... Maybe it´s coming better now.
I have seen again both iLiad´s today in the Mayersche Buchhandlung in Aachen, where I live. They are main distributors for iLiads in Germany and have several other ebook readers too. BeBooks and the Sony PRS-505 on March, 11th like Thalia/Libris.
But I can't decide which ebook to buy. I have to get more information.
gromit62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
millydog
Connoisseur

Thomas, I was a heavy reader as a high school student, but have not read a lot since then. Now, I read mostly programming text books, but I miss reading novels and want to read again. My husband tells me that I am wasting money by getting an eReader since I do not read....but I have every intention on reading more. I already have computer texts in PDF and CHM formats so I can begin immediately reading them on the iLiad. But now, I am going to read more novels and have a little less time on the Internet. lol.
So, I imagine myself both 'playing' with my iLiad, but also plan on greatly increasing the amount of novels I read.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

I guess this would be classified as anecdotal evidence with little statistical value, but here goes. I used to be a voracious reader up until a couple of years ago when I started working on my dissertation research and since then I have hardly had any time to read. Even on commutes, I didn't want to carry a lot of physical books. However, since I got my iLiad 4 days ago, I have:

(1) Finished a 350 page science fiction novella.
(2) Borrowed an eBook from the local library and finished it (100 pages).
(3) Gone halfway through another 500 page science-fiction book.

Of course, some of this could be attributed to the novelty factor of the device but I feel that I feel that it is much more convenient for me to read around the house given how light the device is and how easy it is to carry around. I am pretty confident that I will be reading a lot more with the iLiad than I was without it. Of course, it also helps that I can checkout books from the DC and New York libraries right on my computer
Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
millydog
Connoisseur

Yay, it arrived today.
I expected it yesterday and the tracking web site listed it as being with the courier. However, it hadn't arrived by the end of the day so I contacted the courier to ask what was going on. They told me that the regular driver was ill and that the replacement was a little slower and had ran out of time, so it wasn't delivered and was returned to the depot. I then asked if I could go to the depot to collect it but they said that it closed at 5pm (and I was calling at 5pm). I was mighty disappointed. It was supposed to be an overnight delivery. The iLiad was picked up on Thursday, and I just received it today (Tuesday).
Anyway, I have it now.
I was a little confused as to how to get it to connect to my work PC since it didn't come with a CD and my work PC (Win XP) didn't recognise it. However, I remembered reading something about companion software, so I was able to search for it and download it. It surprised me though that I could not find that software on the iRex web site. Maybe I missed it because I was trying to rush though.
I am on a training course today, so I was rushing with a limited break for lunch time. lol.
I now have a couple of PDF documents on it and I can see them full-screen. I need to work out either how to zoom in or how to reformat them though so as the text is a little larger. I can read it ok, but if I was to read for a long time then the print may be a bit small.
Well, I am excited to finally have my iLiad.
I am going to have a lot of fun tonight, playing with it and getting to learn some of the functions. I am going to have to find a CF card, but might not get a chance to this week.

DesiLinguist, it's great to hear that your reading amounts have increased. I am hoping that mine do the same, I am sure that they will, but I need them too at the same time, since I am going to have to prove that I didn't waste my money.

Jodi
Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #15
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

Jodi, congrats on finally getting the iLiad in your hands! It does take a day or so to figure out the proper reading setting for PDFs (continuous+landscape+zoomed usually works best for PDFs that are otherwise too small to read).

Waiting to hear more details impressions from you when you get the chance. Enjoy!