Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
You know Hugo asks awkward questions just to try to make you blush. Lefty has a postcard collection? I've never seen it! Where does he keep it? Never mind. I've not quite figured out where they keep their stuff. I suspect they have access to another dimension. I tried asking Hugo about it once, something about "string theory". The discussion ended up with the joke that ends, "A string? Nope, I'm a frayed knot" and then he had to explain THAT to Lefty and we all ended up mad and annoyed and then later, drunk and cuddled up together on a futon someplace I can't quite find again.
yep, that sounds about right.

lefty never showed you his postcard collection ?? i'm stunned. he can spend hours looking at them.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Is this it? Boring Postcards.

That book is awesome. Almost as good as the shopping cart book RWood sent.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Is this it? Boring Postcards.

That book is awesome. Almost as good as the shopping cart book RWood sent.
I have the UK version of that book!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

he's got one of them, you sent it a long time ago. he's got ones from all over, i'm actually very curious to know how he gets them. i didn't think he knew that many people / socks.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #20
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Have a good trip Taylor. Don't let your feet get cold. You'll regret leaving the little guys at home.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #21
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm convinced that socks meet other socks when they mysteriously vanish after being washed only to turn up somewhere completely unexpected three days later (if he's been mingling with any adult size 12s lately I'll know where the yeti's socks have been vanishing to...)

Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm; 01-12-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spaceshelp
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel

probably in alternate dimensions.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
he's got one of them, you sent it a long time ago. he's got ones from all over, i'm actually very curious to know how he gets them. i didn't think he knew that many people / socks.
Don't forget his black book full of suspenders that consider him their paramour....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #24
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Don't forget his black book full of suspenders that consider him their paramour....
that's true, he does seem to know some well-travelled suspenders as well. yours seem to get around in fact.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
A darkened room. One must acclimate. First, sound… the white noise of a powerful air filtration system. Vacuum-sealed doors softly whoosh and whump. The whirr of computer fans, and staccato typing. Next, vision adapts, along with the realization that the room isn’t dark at all, as the glow of dozens of monitors and hundreds of LEDs bathe the faces of the room’s two occupants.

They are a study in contrasts. The seated figure is spare, scarecrow thin, with thick round glasses. His are the fingers (long, skeletal, tobacco-stained) that are rapidly typing, as if they have a life of their own: two pale arachnids hunting the keys with rapid stabs. He sits hunched, as if trying to surround the monitor, prevent its secrets from getting past him.

Standing ramrod straight, arms crossed over a deep chest, is the other occupant. The immaculate but non-descript suit cannot disguise the military stamp of the man. G.I. Joe incarnate, but older, the full black head of hair touched with gray at the temples, the once firm jaw line going to jowl. The square shoulders are starting to stoop, as if tired of carrying the weight of the world.

He speaks. We’d expect to hear a drill sergeant’s bark, but the deep voice is smooth, finely modulated, and weary. “Tell me about QUILTS, Gus.”

“Call me Thin Man, everyone does. I don’t mind. I want to remind you I warned the Directorate. You were there when they decided to do this. Quantum Intelligent Life, Tracking and Surveillance. Too clever by half. We don’t understand string theory, or Quantum mechanics. So let’s just create something that does, and hope to control it? To use it? I warned them, Colonel. I did.”

“No one blames you, Thin Man”, says Colonel Biggles. He rests a hand on Gustavo’s shoulder, turning him slightly to face him, and continues softly, “just tell me what you’ve found. What’s happened?”

“Socks”.

“Socks? Please, elaborate.”

“Yes. Not blankets, like we thought. Or turbans, very useful for espionage. Socks. And they are in fact intelligent, and totally out of our control. Smart Wool Socks, Colonel.”

“Socks. Show me the proof.”

“NSA has picked up snatches of dialogue, on a website. Take a look.”

“Hmmm. This isn’t so bad. Almost comic. No one could take this seriously.”

“Sir, you don’t know the half of it. Remember the Advanced Primate Espionage System, Hidden Infantry Tactics?”

“Sweet baby Jesus on a cracker!”

“Yes sir. Adrian.”

They both glance wildly around the room, into the dark corners. “What’s that unholy Gibbon got to do with this?”

“He’s here too. Each of them seems to be operating under the protection, or, or, companionship, of a human member of this site.”

“Why? How?”

“It’s an e-book site, Sir.”

“So?”

“Just think. Language, Colonel. All intelligence uses language. Imagine what would happen to a site that began to accumulate massive amounts of electronic literature.”

“I don’t see the danger.”

“Well, sir… I bought an electronic reader, and it had the blueprints for M.A.R.V.I.N. on it, and I plugged it into my system while browsing the site… something happened.”

“Do you mean…?”

“Yes. Sir, MobileRead is gathering our creations to itself. It has become self-aware.”

“Saint Peter on a pogo-stick!”
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel

be afraid !!! be VERY afraid !!! (but secretly, rejoice !!!!)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #27
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
WOWZERS!!!

I go offline for a week or so, and MR takes a cue from the socks and becomes self-aware. Can we use this to make money somehow?

BTW, T514ce, I'm sending you a virtual gift card for sapient pearwood luggage to redeem at the airport luggage shop. Sounds like you are gonna need a bag that can track you thru all of those stops!

Last edited by DixieGal; 01-15-2009 at 12:49 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #29
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm wondering where the Pandorg come in...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
BTW, T514ce, I'm sending you a virtual gift card for sapient pearwood luggage to redeem at the airport luggage shop. Sounds like you are gonna need a bag that can track you thru all of those stops!
oh boy, i can't WAIT to hear about the trouble THAT gets him into...

Tags
adrian, apeshit, hugo and lefty, ongoing saga, quilts, saga, unholy gibbon