Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
JellyFish
JellyFish doesn't litterJellyFish doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Exclamation Amazon launches Kindle Unlimited subscription service!

Yep, the Kindle Unlimited Service is live today! I just signed up for my free 30 day trial. I think it's a great deal for $9.99 per month. I am really excited about this! Woohoo!

Quote:
Kindle Unlimited is a subscription that offers you unlimited access to over 600,000 Kindle books and over 2,000 audiobooks with Whispersync for Voice. You can keep up to ten books at a time and there are no due dates. Read your Kindle Unlimited books on any Kindle device or free Kindle reading apps.

If you haven't tried Kindle Unlimited before you can sign up for a free 30-day trial. At the end of your free trial, you will be automatically upgraded to a paid membership plan. To learn more about plans and pricing, visit the Kindle Unlimited page.

Kindle Unlimited also includes a free Audible membership for up to three months.

To redeem your Audible benefit click on the link in your welcome email or sign in to your Amazon account and visit the Audible Kindle Unlimited Gift page.

Last edited by JellyFish; 07-19-2014 at 11:12 AM.
JellyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
JellyFish

I checked my Kindle Paperwhite 2 a few minutes ago and haven't seen any kind of update yet for Kindle Unlimited yet. I also checked my iPod Touch and there's no update yet of Kindle for iOS.

I don't doubt that we'll see them soon though, I'm looking forward to seeing how Kindle Unlimited is integrated into the Kindle Paperwhite interface and also the Kindle for iOS app.

Edit: They have updated the Kindle page at Amazon to include information about Kindle Unlimited so clearly they are aware of it as a selling point for Kindles. I hope they hurry up with updates to the KP and Kindle iOS app.

Last edited by JellyFish; 07-18-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Appears to be US only, as usual with these things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Most of the comments on this development are being posted here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=242795&page=9
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyFish View Post
I checked my Kindle Paperwhite 2 a few minutes ago and haven't seen any kind of update yet for Kindle Unlimited yet. I also checked my iPod Touch and there's no update yet of Kindle for iOS.

I don't doubt that we'll see them soon though, I'm looking forward to seeing how Kindle Unlimited is integrated into the Kindle Paperwhite interface and also the Kindle for iOS app.

Edit: They have updated the Kindle page at Amazon to include information about Kindle Unlimited so clearly they are aware of it as a selling point for Kindles. I hope they hurry up with updates to the KP and Kindle iOS app.
No updates are required. It is all on the server side of things. That said Kindle Store on my Paperwhite still isn't yet showing Ku link in all categories list as described.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
JellyFish

Okay, you can find the link to Kindle Unlimited books in the Featured section of the store page on the Kindle Paperwhite. It appeared there earlier today.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Here's an Amazon link that explains Kindle Unlimited in detail and includes some question/answer FAQs: Introducing Kindle Unlimited. You can sign up for the free 30-day trial via a link there.

Kindle Unlimited books can be read on your phone, tablet, or computer with the free Kindle Reading apps or on a Kindle device.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
  1. signed up for Unlimited
  2. searched Unlimited for the 73 kindle books on my wishlist
  3. 0 (zero) available through Unlimited
  4. cancelled Unlimited
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Appears to be US only, as usual with these things.
yes, it would be good to know how they administer that. is it a residency check on your account details, a USA credit card prerequisite , or a geo check when you download each book ?

& without wishing to resurrect all 999 pages of the streaming & regions debate elsewhere, does the US amazon customer have to be in the US when they want to download a loan ?

I should be able to log in to my amazon.com account & then get the refused message...
yep.... welcome back, click the advert...We're sorry. Kindle Unlimited is currently only available for US customers. Please visit us again when it is available in your country. So I reckon it is an account details check - it sees my UK ship-to address & that's all it takes. (because it is saying " US customers" not " in your location" ).

PS From reading the UNOtelly support pages - you can outwit amazon re the USA Prime Videos service but you have to do 2 things: sign up to it via USA paypal or credit card, then also do the DNS trick. I shall give unotelly a few days then ask if they or other customers have a workaround for this new service.

Last edited by cybmole; 07-19-2014 at 01:15 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
& without wishing to resurrect all 999 pages of the streaming & regions debate elsewhere, does the US amazon customer have to be in the US when they want to download a loan ?
I doubt it, because you can buy books when you're in another country. I'm doing a part-time degree in Egyptology, and spend a least a month each year in Egypt, and while there, I can buy books from my Amazon UK account.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Come on Harry. Circumvent the geoblocking and join up. You know you want to.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Come on Harry. Circumvent the geoblocking and join up. You know you want to.
It doesn't interest me. I prefer to buy books.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I doubt it, because you can buy books when you're in another country. I'm doing a part-time degree in Egyptology, and spend a least a month each year in Egypt, and while there, I can buy books from my Amazon UK account.
I can buy paper books from any of the amazon sites. I used to buy lots of import books from amazon.com ( in pre-kindle times). I've also bought blu ray from amazon.fr to get the Caprica box set that's not at amazon.uk

But I feel discriminated against again now.

They are happy to sell me tablets & e-ink devices ( for same price or higher than my USA counterpart), but they lock me out of this new service, for which I'd be willing to pay. I'm pretty sure that I also am NOT allowed to buy a plain kindle book from .com, even when .uk do not stock it.

I really don't get the business logic. It's not like it's a limited membership pilot service, you don't pilot with the whole of USA allowed in !
Old 07-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyFish View Post

what makes you think you need app updates.
guys in USA on the related thread, who have the service working already - seem to have it working on their existing kit - I've seen no mention of client side updates in that thread ?

meanwhile - continuing to thought experiment with various issues, I reckon that even if I conjured up a "USA" account & signed up for KU - I'm not going to get the books to download to my existing main reading device Kindle fire HDX 9 . That is registered to my UK account at amazon.uk, & unlinking it would wipe all my paid-for apps, I think.

So I'd have to get the unlimited books into a K for PC account, as I can re-register that software very easily.. - than I'd have to do things that we don't discuss here & which Amazon would not approve of, to get the books onto my kindle via sideloads. All very silly when here I am wanting to hand over the $9.99 & not have to do that stuff!

I imagine something based on this 2012 article would work
http://www.unotelly.com/blog/2012/09...nstant-videos/
Old 07-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It seems unlikely you'll have that long to wait before being able to join outside of the USA:

Amazon Launches Kindle Unlimited, Will Take it International in September or October with Nate pondering that Sep/Oct was supposed to be the launch date and its just been announced early due to leaks.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle unlimited, netflix for ebooks