Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
kazakore
kazakore began at the beginning.

Device: none
2nd Gen Glowlight - is it Android hackable?

I've seen plenty of posts on the Nook Glo running Android but not that confirm whether this is only the original or also the newer, 2nd generation model. Could anybody confirm this for me as I am heavily considering making a purchase? Thanks.
kazakore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
kazakore

Please somebody, I would like to order over the weekend so it can be shipped on Monday (no Easter holiday in India.) Can you please tell me which, if any, of the following are rootable:

Nook Simple Touch
Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Nook New/2nd Gen Glowlight

Although maybe I'll go for the Kobo Glo I found through a less reputable looking seller but fingers crossed... Definitely rootable and has the MicroSD slot I need, plus from reports both better and cheaper than the Sony PRS-T2...

EDIT: Ahh I can forget the new Glowlight, I misread it having a MicoSD card slot anyway

Last edited by kazakore; 04-19-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Advert
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The first Nook ST (and ST with Glowlight) are the best options if you want to hack your reader (the new Glowlight is not an option as you've discovered). You can hack the Kobo Glo but I'm not sure there is as much you can do with it once hacked compared to the Nook? Check out the Kobo Developer's Corner in the Kobo subforum for what options there are.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
kazakore

Kobo Glo is what I was leaving towards now. All I want it Aardict (for offline Wikipedia) and QuickDic (for language translational dictionaries), hence the need of the card slot. Although both are claimed to work with the Sony PRS-T1 I did have until it broke recently neither ever worked in my case! I hope it wont be the same with the Kobo Glo if I go that root...

The same seller does also stock the Nook ST Glo though, so I can be persuaded to change
Old 04-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Sorry, don't know enough about hacking to help you choose, other than the fact that the Nook ST is generally the top recommendation if you want to hack your ereader. You could perhaps post a query in that Kobo Developers forum about the specific apps you are interested in running? The forum is a little more active than this (possibly because the hackable Nook's are getting a little old now and Kobo are selling more and more ereaders).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The 2nd gen glo can be hacked, I believe. But not having a SD card leaves it with not much space. There is talk of repartitioning to free up space, but that was has led to many a bricked Sony T1. See the xda forums.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
OverByter
OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverByter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The new nook glolight has been able to be rooted for awhile now, look over at xda, it's just a matter of getting adb running, as far as storage, one:the new device has doubled the storage to 4 GB and also they've developed a way to symlink an SD card for apps that require a card being present.
OB

Last edited by OverByter; 08-24-2014 at 04:11 PM.
OverByter is offline   Reply With Quote