Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I want to get my child a nook for Christmas - is it possible to have ony her books

show up on her screen? We'd be on the same account as she's a child and doesn't have a credit card, but I guess it would be nice if she didn't have to wade through all my books on her nook. It isn't a deal breaker if she can't, as I don't have anything on my nook I'd be upset with her reading.

Thanks!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
You could set up her Nook with a separate credit card (i.e. another one of yours). I suppose this is obvious, but I am mentioning this because B&N provides the ability for family members to share books across multiple accounts, without buying the same book more than once.

It happens by credit card number. For example, if you and your husband have separately registered Nooks (different credit cards, etc), and you buy a book, he can get that book himself without buying it by using YOUR credit card number in a special B&N family arrangement. In fact, you can share a book you have purchased with anyone you are willing to give your credit card number to. (Note, this is not the same as the 2-week "sharing" option they tout, which is almost workthless, IMHO.)

I suppose you and your daughter are not apt to want to share many books, but if you set her Nook up with a separate credit card, you could then share (or not share) books between the 2 accounts without paying more than once for a given title.

I don't think there is any way to register a Nook without a credit card number so I see no way for her to have her own Nook without a credit card number.

Last edited by RAH; 12-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Drumm
Enthusiast
Drumm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color(CM10), NookTouch & Meadiacom 850i
I went 7 rounds with B&N about the credit card requirement, which they didn;t tell me about when I purchased a Nook Color for my son. There was no way I was going to give him access to my credit card and they don't have any way to limit is, so pre paid credit card it was.... They didn't give me that as an option, I had to drag it out of them after spending many hours on the phone with them.

I do have 2 devices on my one account, using the same e-mail address. I believe they use a gmail account to register and the credit card for unlocking books ( real genius actually, the ability to buy a book instantly).

Make sure you and your child learn how to use the public library, almost all have very large e-book collections, and you already pay for it in your taxes. I spoke with a friend who actually went to a Nook Color class at B&N and they never mentioned the whole library angle, I guess they were too focused on selling B&N services. I live in Italy so that is not an option for me. I can still purchase on my computer and then download, but I download everything to my computer for backup. There are any number of problems that would prevent you from getting the books you bought from B&N.

I also reccomend Calibre for e-book management on your computer, it is a wonderful program. I use it for a lot of things including converting pdf and other formats to e-pub, although it's not perfect for that, but generally works pretty well. Sigil is a nice program for editing e-pubs. Both are free of course.

BTW I rooted my Nook so I could control it better, install a better reader and video player. The stock ones are pretty limited. You can try it fairly easily without voiding your warranty (B&N claims it voids warranty, but I don't think thats legal, after all you have a warranty on your computer regardless of the software you install, and the Nook Color is just a computer), by installing on a SD card and booting from the SD card. Just make sure you back it up first.
Drumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Only the e-mail address of every account needs to be different, because that is your login ID. You can use the same credit card for every account.
You can password protect shop purchases.
You can register a Nook to an account with no credit card, but than you cannot sycn the Nook with the account using Wifi, you will have to sideload books.

You have three options:
1. Register your daughter's Nook to your account. You can password protect shop purchases. But you daughter will see all books. And her books will be in your account.
2. Register your daugher's Nook to her own account with credit card. Password protect shop purchases, so only you can buy books for her. This way her books will be in her own account, and she can sync her Nook to her account using Wifi to download the books.
3. Register your daughter's Nook to her own account, without credit card. You will have to buy books on your account, and sideload them to her Nook.

I would go for option 2.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone! I will register hers under a different credit card of mine, password protect it, and that family share thing is awesome so I'll look into that too.
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
librarianchat
librarianchat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I really wish they offered the ability to just have different collections on different Nooks even without a different credit card.
I wanted to take my Nook to work at the library yesterday for demonstration's purposes, but I first had to go to B&N and delete some of the books that my wife had purchased, because I did not want my co-workers to see a bunch of romance novels on my Nook.

And you have to permanently delete them from your BN account?

Just seems weird to me that tyou can't simply remove them from your Nook and keep them on your overall BN account.
librarianchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianchat View Post
Just seems weird to me that tyou can't simply remove them from your Nook and keep them on your overall BN account.
That's what the "Archive this Book" option is for. It removes it from the Nook's memory, but leaves it on the account.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Thebirgys
Thebirgys began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
You could set up her Nook with a separate credit card (i.e. another one of yours). I suppose this is obvious, but I am mentioning this because B&N provides the ability for family members to share books across multiple accounts, without buying the same book more than once.

It happens by credit card number. For example, if you and your husband have separately registered Nooks (different credit cards, etc), and you buy a book, he can get that book himself without buying it by using YOUR credit card number in a special B&N family arrangement. In fact, you can share a book you have purchased with anyone you are willing to give your credit card number to. (Note, this is not the same as the 2-week "sharing" option they tout, which is almost workthless, IMHO.)

I suppose you and your daughter are not apt to want to share many books, but if you set her Nook up with a separate credit card, you could then share (or not share) books between the 2 accounts without paying more than once for a given title.

I don't think there is any way to register a Nook without a credit card number so I see no way for her to have her own Nook without a credit card number.
RAH, I would LOVE to learn more about this "special B&N family arrangement." We just spent a lot of time with B&N Customer Service trying to learn how our younger daughter could load SOME of the books that her older sister has on her NOOK to her nook app on her ipod touch. We didn't want her to share the account as not all of her older sister's books are age appropriate, but SOME of the books we'd like her to be able to have without having to repurchase them. B&N Customer Service basically said this is not possible except for the limited time "lending" option, but your post seems to indicate otherwise, but I'm not following exactly how you accomplished this?
Thebirgys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
NickyWithNook
Guru

It was really easy. I just downloaded the nook for pc app, logged in as me, loaded the books as if I was going to read them, and then hooked my daughter's nook up to the computer and sideloaded them. It asked for my name and credit card number with the first one, and then let me load them all with no problem.