Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
config_widget doesn't allow early exit

When using config_widget to customize my plugin, I want to check if certain conditions are met (device connected) and if not show an error dialog and exit the routine. I can do the check and dialog and exit, but not cleanly.

I noticed in the source that I can return None or raise a NotImplemented error or a QWidget. I currently return None so that the customization_help routine runs with my error message. But this shows a text entry box under the text message I display. Using a QWidget is just as messy as it requires and shows an empty table. Raising the error causes an error message.

Any suggestions of code to use in config_widget to show just an error dialog and exit?

Is there a pre-validate method to match the validate method?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
why not just return a QLabel as the widget with the error message
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds great - I'll give it a go. There's still a lot to learn about python and QT.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
why not just return a QLabel as the widget with the error message
You are going to get a fairly "large" message box though, aren't you? As the dialog size will have been restored from when last used "successfully" with it's big grid etc on it. No major, just saying...

Also you will still need to detect your "error" situation in validate and return False from that to prevent save_settings from being invoked.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since you (the plugin author) implement save_settings, it should be trivial to detect the case when the config widget is showing an error message and do nothing.
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since you (the plugin author) implement save_settings, it should be trivial to detect the case when the config widget is showing an error message and do nothing.
Indeed - I was just publicly "filling in the gaps" to indicate that returning a QLabel with an error message would in all likelihood not be the only code required to handle this scenario. As of course you would know...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
meme
Sigil developer

Yes, I had to adapt save_settings to check for errors - I already did, but as a first pass added a exception handler for _table not existing although that doesn't seem as clean as I like.

I do end up with a rather large window, and Cancel/OK buttons even though I'd rather just have an OK like an error dialog.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
meme
Sigil developer

Figured it out - I was looking too deep into the routines. I backtracked to see what was calling what and realized I could avoid calling config_widget within my code. I've simply edited the show_configuration method to do the necessary checks before calling the do_user_config method so I can avoid creating a window altogether. Much better.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
meme
Sigil developer

Actually, doing the checks in show_configuration doesn't work well. Its fine from the Customization menu item I created, but not when customization is done from the Preferences menu. I can add code in both places, but I think I'll just do all the checking in config_widget.

So one way is to do my checks in config_widget, and return a QLabel if there's an error. But the dialog box is large (saved from whatever size was last used) and doesn't look right with a small error messages. And it says OK or Cancel when in fact you just want the user to click OK since two options on an error message is confusing.

I actually use my own routines to show up error/warning/info dialogs depending on the issue so I don't need do_user_config to show a window, but I can work with it if there's a way to get it to resize and just show an OK button.

Some options, as mentioned above could be:
1. Run a pre-check method if defined. If false, don't show the window or do anything (assumes plugin handles user warnings, etc.)
2. In do_user_config, if config_widget is defined but returns None, don't show the window or do anything
3. If config_widget returns a simple QLabel, just show the label in a correctly sized window/dialog and a single OK button on the window - and exit after OK is clicked without validation or saving.

In the meantime I think I'll just live with the large text box since its only supposed to appear if you've done something wrong.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I just committed code that allows you to return a tuple (msg, details) from config_widget() that will cause a warning dialog to be shown and the process to abort.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
meme
Sigil developer

Terrific. Once the new version is released I'll give it a go.

And now I see how to use the warning dialogs properly get my warning messages into a detailed text box so they don't overflow the screen
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #12
meme
Sigil developer

The new code works great - dialog displays exactly as needed. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're welcome