Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2007, 03:32 AM   #1
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
VoIP for N770, N800, Palm phones and Nokia phones

The Gizmo Project, a Voice Over IP internet telephony application, is now working on Palm phones, Nokia phones and Nokia UMPCs. Gizmo calling is free device-to-device and very cheap device-to-phone -- overseas too!

If you have been waiting for a good VoIP client for your device (like the long-rumored Skype), your wait is over.

BTW, you don't need VoIP on your device to gain the low cost of VoIP. Simply sign up for Jajah. With Jajah you can initiate the call using the Jajah website (no client app on your device!) and Jajah will ring your phone and the phone of the party you are calling. That's right! You call phone-to-phone at startlingly low rates -- better than phone cards. Even better, if you have an internet enabled mobile phone, you can initiate your call on Jajah's website using your phone. Then, if you aren't paying airtime for incoming calls (like me in China) using Jajah on your cell phone is just as inexpensive as using a land line.

With Jajah, you can call member-to-member free up to 19 minutes a week!

Last edited by mogui; 06-22-2007 at 03:56 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That's great news. I hope all these voip services will put enough pressure on the Telecos to have them lower their fees for voice calls.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
That's great news. I hope all these voip services will put enough pressure on the Telecos to have them lower their fees for voice calls.
I think they must be worried sick. In the US and many other places you can get mobile long distance service that is the same rate as a local call all across the country. When I traveled in the US this spring I bought a prepaid phone for $12. It allowed me to call anywhere in the US for the same rate. By calling an 800 dialaround number I was able to call China for no extra cost. That's right! A mobile phone call to China for the cost of local air time! Skype was offering free IP-to-phone calls all across Canada and the US. Jajah is free or low cost (< 2 cents/minute) to many places around the world. If you have cable TV service you can get flat-rate long distance service too. The day of the teleco monopolies is gone

I hope it works well for you in Italy too.

Edit: I made a mistake on Jajah rates. Jajah is probably the most convenient because you talk phone-to-phone, but it is not the cheapest. It is Gizmo that has the < 2 cent a minute rates. Here are some rates per minute for the more popular VoIP companies based on a call to China from anywhere:
Jajah-3.1 Skype-2.1 Gizmo Project-1.7 Wengophone-1.4

So far, Jajah seems to have better quality than Skype. I haven't tried the others.

Last edited by mogui; 06-23-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That's incredible, doing calls from the US to China @ local rates!

Btw, I used to live in Italy, but not any longer (back in the US now)
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
mogui
eNigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Edit: I made a mistake on Jajah rates. Jajah is probably the most convenient because you talk phone-to-phone, but it is not the cheapest. It is Gizmo that has the < 2 cent a minute rates. Here are some rates per minute for the more popular VoIP companies based on a call to China from anywhere:
Jajah-3.1 Skype-2.1 Gizmo Project-1.7 Wengophone-1.4

So far, Jajah seems to have better quality than Skype. I haven't tried the others.
I have corrected my earlier post to give better information on VoIP rates. You can check the websites for Jajah, Gizmo Project, Skype and Wengophone for the rates to the countries you want to call.
Advert
Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
mogui
eNigma

Update! Nokia N800 gets Skype!

When I traveled to the west this spring I really thought I was going to buy a Nokia N800. I thought that VoIP in a pocketable WiFi device that could carry all my data and double as an eBook reader would be the end-all gadget.

But Skype wasn't ready, and I don't like to buy promises. I brought back my Sony Reader instead. But now Nokia has released an update that includes Skype. Will I buy a plane ticket? Stay tuned.