Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Physics theory book recommendation wanted

I'm almost finished "the little book of string theory" (pbook!), and I'm enjoying it, but am simultaneously frustrated and glad about the lack of any mathematics in the description. Now my maths is, shall we say, very rusty, but it used to be pretty good.

So here is the challenge: any recommendations for good physics theory books (not just string theory, indeed preferably other theories as well) that includes mathematical descriptions, but where the maths works gently up from the basics?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
The Feynman Lectures on Physics are considered one of the best for college level physics. Seem to be only legally available in pbook, though there does seem to be quite a few PDF copies floating around the internet.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I agree, it's the best out there.
There are also audio books - well, the original taped lectures, with his voice. And accompanied by photos/drawings of blackboards. It's more enjoyable, though perhaps a bit less organized than books.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I just read and very much enjoyed Miahau Kaku's Einstein's Cosmos. Although there is virtually no math in it, it was the most comprehensible explanation of special and general relativity I've read. Also, very interesting description of Einstein the man, and his life.,

Last edited by MickeyC; 10-02-2010 at 02:42 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I enjoyed Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe (<---wikipedia linky), and if you're more visually oriented it was also made into a three-part documentary. I found it developed nicely, logically, and quickly from classic physics to string theory where it spends most of its time. Very readable, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I enjoyed Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe (<---wikipedia linky), and if you're more visually oriented it was also made into a three-part documentary. I found it developed nicely, logically, and quickly from classic physics to string theory where it spends most of its time. Very readable, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Marc
Very much concur!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Stephen Hawking's "A Short History of Time" is a good read from what I remember of my own reading of it some yrs back. Not a lot of math but interesting reading.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Stephen Hawking's "A Short History of Time" is a good read from what I remember of my own reading of it some yrs back. Not a lot of math but interesting reading.
And I just got his latest, The Grand Design, but haven't started it yet. Will post a review here when I do.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
A book using very little complex math and a lot of analogies is David Susskind's The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics. It deals with the paradox of information loss after an "object" has crossed the event horizon (boundary) of a black hole. Hawking once argued that such information would be lost to the universe in which the object pre-existed. Then he came up with an alternate theory. Additional coverage can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorne%...93Preskill_bet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_h...mation_paradox

It goes without saying that the problem may not be resolved for millenia, if ever. Some argue that crossing an event horizon is unobservable.

There are concepts of physics that are almost mystical in their realization. The mathematics behind them just leads from one paradox to another, which means that no theoretical description is complete. What we create is a byproduct of our own evolution and the physical limitations of our brains. How is it possible for the human mind to even hold a logically consistent thesis, when we can't even agree on global warming?

Happy reading.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
A book using very little complex math and a lot of analogies is David Susskind's The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics. It deals with the paradox of information loss after an "object" has crossed the event horizon (boundary) of a black hole. Hawking once argued that such information would be lost to the universe in which the object pre-existed. Then he came up with an alternate theory. Additional coverage can be found here:
Read this one as well and it was very good.