Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Yes, this message is an off-topic, and sarcastic, and satiric. I'm angry with Moblieread because I was not intended to foment piracy.
To be fair, you mention anyone buying books in your circle sends them to you so you can share them between you all "my mom, another for my girlfriend, another for mine and so on"? You posted a feature request asking for help to do this automatically. Yes it's not wholesale piracy, but it is pretty obviously discussing a way to automate the process of removing DRM and sharing your books.

From the mobileread FAQ (link is at the bottom of the forum):

Quote:
8. Links, Uploads, Copyright and DRM

MobileRead does not condone or support the use of this web site to break the law. This means that we will not allow posting of instructions showing someone how to break the law, requests for such instructions, nor uploads or links to items that have the sole purpose of breaking the law.

It is our policy that while DRM removal may be discussed in the abstract, providing detailed how-to instructions, uploading of DRM-removal tools, or linking to sites where these tools or detailed instructions are provided is forbidden at MobileRead.
Don't take it personally, you simply can't discuss how to remove DRM on this site, there's no need to get mad about it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Yes, this message is an off-topic, and sarcastic, and satiric. I'm angry with Moblieread because I was not intended to foment piracy....
The way I read your post suggested that you were using different Calibre libraries for family and was simply as you put it "acting as the Librarian" and looking for an automated way to return the books back to the original owner's kindles after passing through Calibre. I did not infer from your post that you were sharing the books between all members of your family.
However, that particular feature COULD EASILY be used for piracy and so the Moderators were being ultra careful (though not particularly tactful ). As was said previously by soulfuldog, don't take it personally.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #18
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
To be fair, you mention anyone buying books in your circle sends them to you so you can share them between you all "my mom, another for my girlfriend, another for mine and so on"? You posted a feature request asking for help to do this automatically. Yes it's not wholesale piracy, but it is pretty obviously discussing a way to automate the process of removing DRM and sharing your books.

From the mobileread FAQ (link is at the bottom of the forum):

Don't take it personally, you simply can't discuss how to remove DRM on this site, there's no need to get mad about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
The way I read your post suggested that you were using different Calibre libraries for family and was simply as you put it "acting as the Librarian" and looking for an automated way to return the books back to the original owner's kindles after passing through Calibre. I did not infer from your post that you were sharing the books between all members of your family.
However, that particular feature COULD EASILY be used for piracy and so the Moderators were being ultra careful (though not particularly tactful ). As was said previously by soulfuldog, don't take it personally.
Well, I'm not taking this at personal level, I'm only complaining about double standards. Same person closed thread, talks about de-DRM without trouble (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=12).

I think we need to be more free, and defend our freedom with less hypocrisy and prudery. You can read here my reaction (http://kindleman.blogspot.com.es/201...nueces-de.html). It is a little bit literary Spanish, then automatic translator doesn't do a good job and I don't know enough English to create an equivalent translation.

I'm not angry with HarryT, I'm angry with the system.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That post you have linked to only mentions DRM removal, and doesn't give any instruction on how to do so. That's the key difference, as per the quote from the FAQ "DRM removal may be discussed in the abstract, providing detailed how-to instructions is forbidden".

Good luck with figuring out a way to do what you'd like to with auto importing to Calibre, but I'm not sure there is any way to ask for feedback on how to do so without falling foul of mobileread's policy.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
That post you have linked to only mentions DRM removal, and doesn't give any instruction on how to do so. That's the key difference, as per the quote from the FAQ "DRM removal may be discussed in the abstract, providing detailed how-to instructions is forbidden".
Well, I didn't talked about how to remove DRM, I talked about a new feature not related to DRM/Piracy in any way than the fact that can be used by pirates, as Calibre itself can be. Remember: we manufacture knifes despite the fact that they can be used to kill people... and cut tomatoes.

Quote:
Good luck with figuring out a way to do what you'd like to with auto importing to Calibre, but I'm not sure there is any way to ask for feedback on how to do so without falling foul of mobileread's policy.
In hard times, hard solutions: I can implement it by myself. I only need to remember my [relatively] long-unused python skills. But if I have to digg into Calibre code, I prefer to do my automatic tool using calibre command line tools for conversion.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert