Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
kindlerman
kindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: kindle paperwhite
Unhappy After activating fast boot mode of my kindle paperwhite screen frozen forever

Hallo, got my kindle paperwhite with 3.5.1 firmware. Jailbraked it and went to the diags screens.

Activated fastboot mode from misc menu.

As soon as i did it the device got frozen. can not bring it to life.

Tried holding power button for 20 seconods: no effect

When connected to usb device led is burning orange.

when holding in this state power button: led switches of after 20 seconds and switches back on again when i release the power button.

screen is not chaning at all, only showing diags menu all the time...

dmesg shows:
[ 8139.920108] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 21 using ehci_hcd
[ 8140.053117] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1949, idProduct=d0d0
[ 8140.053129] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 8140.053138] usb 1-2: Product: Kindle
[ 8140.053146] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Amazon
[ 8140.053153] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: <some number>

when i hold button for 20 seconds i get
[ 9406.189677] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 24

and when release the button
9609.660181] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 25 using ehci_hcd
[ 9609.793213] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1949, idProduct=d0d0
[ 9609.793227] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 9609.793238] usb 1-2: Product: Kindle
[ 9609.793247] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Amazon
[ 9609.793256] usb 1-2: SerialNumber:

the screen is frozen on the diags screens. thats all.

Is this a special mode activated? how to deactivate it?

Last edited by kindlerman; 12-20-2012 at 12:20 PM.
kindlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
kindlerman
kindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texankindlerman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

update: after some time charging the led is burnign with green light when disconnecting usb cable
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
fastboot mode does not use the eink screen, so it will show whatever was last on it before changing to fastboot mode.

To get out of fastboot mode, you can temporarily boot to any mode with MfgTool. See the "select boot" thread for details.

To change the boot mode, you can use the fastboot tool, or you can use the idme command from a diags SSH command shell.

I am curious why you switched your kindle to fastboot mode if you do not understand how to use it or how to get back out of fastboot mode.

There is more information regarding fastboot in the select boot thread, the fastboot manifesto thread, and the simple debricking thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-20-2012 at 01:23 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
^what gm said, except that MfgTool (or imx_usb_loader, if you're on Linux) is useless for the Paperwhite - these tools operate on the "USB downloader mode" (yes, that's yet another mode) which can't be entered on the Paperwhite.

Use the fastboot tool.

PS, and SCNR: Yes, this will hopefully teach you to be careful with what you do.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
kindlerman

thanks for reply!

where to get the tool for linux? and with which image do i have to use it with?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
kindlerman

and also is there fastboot for kingle paperwhite?

and also which command do i need to enter to switch fastboot mode off?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Master index sticky -> Tools Index -> Debricking, Fastboot.

How to use it left as an exercise to you.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
kindlerman

it was very hard to find the fastboot which where working under linux.

found only windows and mac links ...

after long time found a link to :
https://github.com/yifanlu/Fastboot-Kindle

compiled it and did fastboot -s xxx setvar bootmode diag

and it worked!

thank you guys
Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
sencer
sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle PW
that was exactly what happened to my PW, and the only solution I found was replacing it from Amazon.
sencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
not exactly a "solution" more an admission of an absence of a solution really..
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sencer View Post
that was exactly what happened to my PW, and the only solution I found was replacing it from Amazon.
Well, no. The solution would have been to use the fastboot tool to get the Kindle out of fastboot mode.

So, just to make sure that I'm understanding this right: you toyed around in the menu of diagnostic mode, without knowing or even caring to know what you were doing, got stuck, and then sent the device back to Amazon for a replacement?

Congratulations. This is one of the reasons why Amazon tries to lock down their devices - because they have to pay for a replacement which is entirely due to user stupidity. Maybe you shouldn't have jailbroken your device in the first place.

(sorry for being explicit, but this mentality really pi^wannoys me.)
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
kindlerman

i am glad i did not send it to amazon

otherwise ixtab would be also angry at me
Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlerman View Post
i am glad i did not send it to amazon

otherwise ixtab would be also angry at me

Tags
bricked, diags, paperwhite