Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #106
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
I did everything as instructed, successfully ran option 5 on the reader, it rebooted, and when I ran opt 6 I get the message "/tmp/self_upgrade/new_opt.img not found". Any advice?

Thanks.
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #107
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmgreen View Post
I did everything as instructed, successfully ran option 5 on the reader, it rebooted, and when I ran opt 6 I get the message "/tmp/self_upgrade/new_opt.img not found". Any advice?

Thanks.
You run 5, then 6, THEN reboot.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #108
hmgreen
Enthusiast

Understood, but the reboot after 5 happened by itself - I didn't start it. Any ideas why that might have happened?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #109
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Understood, but the reboot after 5 happened by itself - I didn't start it. Any ideas why that might have happened?
Has this happened more than once?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #110
hmgreen
Enthusiast

Well, no. BUt considering that we are flashing hacks to the firmware, before I try to make something like this continue when I get a malfunction, I thought it would be prudent to see if anyone has seen this before and if there is a known fix. I don't want to "brick" the thing after all.

BTW, I am running the latest update from Sony on the PRS-505, with no prior customization, so I did not rerun the updater before doing this. The warning seemed to be only for those who had hacked/customized before.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #111
hmgreen
Enthusiast

Bizarre. I tried it again and this time it worked as expected. I am now rebooting. Hopefully I will see success.....
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #112
jakewastaken
Media Whore.

Quote:
Well, no. BUt considering that we are flashing hacks to the firmware, before I try to make something like this continue when I get a malfunction, I thought it would be prudent to see if anyone has seen this before and if there is a known fix. I don't want to "brick" the thing after all.

BTW, I am running the latest update from Sony on the PRS-505, with no prior customization, so I did not rerun the updater before doing this. The warning seemed to be only for those who had hacked/customized before.

Thanks.
I've had one-time issues before and just moved on without it being an issue, but I see where you're coming from. There is something very important to note about the "customizing more-than-once" bug: The issue is not with the reader but with the SD card. Something is written to the card that causes this bug, not the other way around. You can customize more than once if you remember to empty the card and then fill it with a fresh zip dump rather than re-using it. This is certainly easier than flashing repeatedly

In other words, double check that the sd card is filled with fresh files.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #113
hmgreen
Enthusiast

Thanks! Got it!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #114
hmgreen
Enthusiast

Just out of curiosityI tried to re-customize to change the about screen and selct a different icon set. Based on the above, I deleted all the files on the SD card, reformatted it, and re-extracted a fresh et of files to he card, along with placing the modified file into the correct folder for the personalized about screen.

When I tried to reflash (opt 6) the Reader had a message that amounted to needing to rerun the Sony updater; I guess this means that we really do have to go back to reflashing the orignial firmware update each time before running this, or did I miss a step?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:11 AM   #115
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
You wouldn't normally need to, in my experience, although I'm not clear exactly what the condition is that triggers needing to do so, if you see what I mean...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #116
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
here's my screen customized with a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	642.5 KB
ID:	15232  
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #117
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
You wouldn't normally need to, in my experience, although I'm not clear exactly what the condition is that triggers needing to do so, if you see what I mean...
igorsk said that it was a bug in the UF that would be fixed eventually, but I can't find the post.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #118
hmgreen
Enthusiast

Oh, well. I will watch for the announcement of the bug fix and keep my SD card at the ready. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #119
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
igorsk said that it was a bug in the UF that would be fixed eventually, but I can't find the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Hmm I think I've seen this before... nblsdm needs to be passed a parameter with the partiton size. Until I get around to implement that, reflashing with stock updater should allow you to flash a custom image again.
Here's Igorsk's quote.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #120
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Worked beautifully! Thanks.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote