Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Sounds like no release in Australia either.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
robyshot
Enthusiast
robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Prs T1
for us is better that the t2 will have only software upgrades, so they will be ported to the t1
robyshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
An update to the plumbing inside epub ebooks.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPub_3

It allows for more complex page layouts, suitable for cookbooks, technical ebooks, graphic novels, etc.
Thank you for the explanation and the link, very interesting! I swear I cannot keep up with technology!

In the T2 I'd be looking for simpler changes like no shiny bezel and clock and battery display available during reading. For me, keeping it simple is best. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Thank you for the explanation and the link, very interesting! I swear I cannot keep up with technology!

In the T2 I'd be looking for simpler changes like no shiny bezel and clock and battery display available during reading. For me, keeping it simple is best. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Morkl has a package available that can be installed on both rooted and non-rooted T1s and provides updated font controls and a clock visible during reading. You can find it here.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I just wish my T1 would update my page location to sync with my Droid and my PC app. It's not too much to ask since Amazon does this quite well most of the time. But I am not buying the T2 just to see if they have fixed the problem.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Morkl has a package available that can be installed on both rooted and non-rooted T1s and provides updated font controls and a clock visible during reading. You can find it here.
Thank you for the link and advising of such. To be honest, I don't go in there because 'rooting' and the like is beyond my level of expertise. I did read that Morkl's zip is also for non-rooted devices, but I really have no idea how to add such to my T1. I'm terrified to do something to mess up my T1, but I'm very tempted. I really would love the clock, I lose such track of time when I'm reading which spells disaster for a Mom... And to have a sans serif font, those are the only 2 things I miss from my KoboTouch. One day when I have some time maybe I'll read the whole 20+ pages and try to figure out how to do it. But I do appreciate you letting me know about it. People who figure out how to do all this are amazing to me!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Thank you for the link and advising of such. To be honest, I don't go in there because 'rooting' and the like is beyond my level of expertise. I did read that Morkl's zip is also for non-rooted devices, but I really have no idea how to add such to my T1. I'm terrified to do something to mess up my T1, but I'm very tempted. I really would love the clock, I lose such track of time when I'm reading which spells disaster for a Mom... And to have a sans serif font, those are the only 2 things I miss from my KoboTouch. One day when I have some time maybe I'll read the whole 20+ pages and try to figure out how to do it. But I do appreciate you letting me know about it. People who figure out how to do all this are amazing to me!
Same goes for me, first thing that comes to mind for me in regards to 'root' or rooting' involves plants in my garden or searching my dresser drawers for that other sock I know has to be there!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #23
Zeno_
Zeno_ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Wait - the $160 T1 I bought 10 days ago is outdated already in a month or two;

Is this a joke?
Zeno_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno_ View Post
Wait - the $160 T1 I bought 10 days ago is outdated already in a month or two;

Is this a joke?

Welcome to the technological age!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
Vala
Enthusiast
Vala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1
Quote:
I too am afraid to possibly mess up my un-rooted T1. My eyes cross and my brain goes dead when I try to read technical information. I guess I am too old for much of it at a time.
Vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vala View Post
I too am afraid to possibly mess up my un-rooted T1. My eyes cross and my brain goes dead when I try to read technical information. I guess I am too old for much of it at a time.
I haven't installed Morkl's replacement reader, but I have installed his replacement home screen. For the record, I work in IT, so I'm tech-savvy, but the process is very straightforward. It's the same process you'd use to install a firmware update to your PRS-T1: Connect your PRS-T1 to your computer and launch an installer.

The most difficult part of the replacement homescreen is configuring it. There's a folder with a config file you have to copy over, then edit what shortcuts you want to have on the homescreen in that config file. I'm not sure about the installation of the replacement reader.

My PRS-T1 is also unrooted. I've rooted many of my other Android devices, but this one looks slightly more complex and is still a work in progress. I also don't have a large need to root it (other than to possibly install alternate reader software like nook, Kindle, or Kobo).
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
The most difficult part of the replacement homescreen is configuring it. There's a folder with a config file you have to copy over, then edit what shortcuts you want to have on the homescreen in that config file. I'm not sure about the installation of the replacement reader.
I'd like to see what the home screen replacement does on an unrooted T1, but like the others I don't really want to have to put the instructions together, bit by bit, over a lot of posts. I think it's too easy to screw something up, because you can't be sure you have all the instructions intact, and in the right order.

Is there one post with all the current step-by-step instructions and needed links for installation on an unrooted T1? And instructions on how to remove it if it isn't what I'm looking for?

The more I look, the more lost I'm becoming.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vala View Post
Installing the modified reader app on an unrooted T1 has been made idiot proof. And if you need any help with the CSS, I can give you a hand with that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I'd like to see what the home screen replacement does on an unrooted T1, but like the others I don't really want to have to put the instructions together, bit by bit, over a lot of posts. I think it's too easy to screw something up, because you can't be sure you have all the instructions intact, and in the right order.

Is there one post with all the current step-by-step instructions and needed links for installation on an unrooted T1? And instructions on how to remove it if it isn't what I'm looking for?

The more I look, the more lost I'm becoming.
Wow, glad I'm not the only one! As you and others have posted, it's intimidating and after I read more last night, even more lost and 'afraid' than before!

But as you asked, I would really like a simple step by step instruction as well. I bolded what you asked because I guess that's exactly what I'd want to see also.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
Several posts in this thread have apparently strayed from the original topic. If you feel the need to discuss rooting issues on the T1 feel free to start a new thread, but please stick to the topic of the PRS-T2 in this one.

Thank you.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote