Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Are stats broken on your Kobo Touch?
No, they work fine! 2 8.70%
Yes! It seems to underestimate how long I read for in a session 18 78.26%
Yes, but not at all the problem you're descibing 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
sgeiger
sgeiger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Exclamation Reading stats are completely broken (probable explanation included!)

I know someone else with a Kobo Touch and we both have the same issue with the Reading Life stats -- they're completely broken. Specifically, the "minutes each session" number is always really, REALLY far from reality. Here's a perfect example: Last night I started reading a book for the first time (it had never even been opened on any of my devices). I read for 50 minutes straight. I never left the reading app, and never put it into standby. When I finished reading, I went into Reading Life to see that with that particular book my average "minutes each session" was "7" instead of "50". It got the "hours read" and "pages turned" numbers right, but somehow managed to calculate my average session length incorrectly. Seeing as the math for this would be "sum of lengths of all reading sessions" divided by "number of reading sessions", that math would simply be 50/1.

I think I've figured out the problem though (and I sure hope the Kobo devs are reading if they're not aware of this) -- every time you add a highlight or note, have a word defined, and/or invoke the in-book menu (tap the centre of the screen), it sees that as closing your reading session and starts a new one once you're done. In my 50 minutes of reading I did one of those things about seven times (50/7 DOES equal about 7).

I tested this by picking up the same book again today (for the second time ever) and read for 25 minutes straight, this time not highlighting, defining etc etc etc. When I was done, the "minutes per session" figure had lept to "9", which, if you assume it had indeed decided I had seven sessions averaging seven minutes each, makes perfect sense when you add a 25 minute session to that calculation (7+7+7+7+7+7+7+25=9).

This would also explain why my global stats on iOS say that I average only 1.8 pages per session. For this to be true I would have to have had 411 reading sessions. I've had the Kobo for 15 days and doubt I've ever picked it up more than five times in a day (which would be 75 sessions -- a far cry from 411)

I can't imagine this is by design. If I sit down for an hour and read one book -- even if I stop to get a definition or add a note, I would consider that one hour of reading ... all at once. Not multiple consecutieve tiny bursts of a few minutes .

Personally I find the stats keeping option to be a pretty cool feature of eReading. I would really hope that the kobo devs would iron this and all the other stat-keeping features out.

Can anyone confirm the same issue? It's very easy to try out!
sgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
You are correct in your assumption of why you are getting the stats you are. There was discussion of this previously that is now buried somewhere many pages back on here.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

They've always been wonky. So much so that I ignore this feature completely. The reading stats would be much more interesting on the KT if they were cumulative like they were on the Kobo apps. The feature is great on paper, crap in execution.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
This is almost exactly the issue with the reading time statistics. I believe I've posted about the problem in the past in the future kobo touch firmware thread and listed on a high level the problems you've described in detail here.

Opening the in-book menu via touching the center of the screen doesn't mess with the timer as far as I can tell. Using the options within will though. If you bring up the in-book menu to simple check the time and then close it it will not mess with the timer.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
sgeiger
sgeiger began at the beginning.

Ok but making highlights or annotations, or getting a defintion or reading a footnote does... still completely ridiculous.
sgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
They've always been wonky. So much so that I ignore this feature completely. The reading stats would be much more interesting on the KT if they were cumulative like they were on the Kobo apps. The feature is great on paper, crap in execution.

The stats sound fantastic in theory but in my experience they have never been accurate and so it becomes just a gimmick. I have also lost my stats so many times with factory resets that I now have the entire Reading Life area turned off.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
In my case, not only the average session length seems off, but also the stats seem to overestimate the page turns. The book I'm currently reading, Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, has about a thousand pages and I am two thirds of the way through it, but if I am to believe the stats, I have already spent close to 32 hours turning almost 2500 pages!
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
In my case, not only the average session length seems off, but also the stats seem to overestimate the page turns. The book I'm currently reading, Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, has about a thousand pages and I am two thirds of the way through it, but if I am to believe the stats, I have already spent close to 32 hours turning almost 2500 pages!
I think that's because of the font being bigger, unless you're using a really small font it takes a few page refreshes to get the Epub standard page numbers on the bottom to change.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I think that's because of the font being bigger, unless you're using a really small font it takes a few page refreshes to get the Epub standard page numbers on the bottom to change.
This is why. Unless it's an officially download Kobo Kepub book the pages due to formatting, text size etc won't line up with how many pages are in the epub.

If you use the advanced settings within the book and turn on the pages for the epub you'll notice that most books depending on your formatting preferences will have a page every 1.5-2.5 page turns indicated as a small page number off in the margin.

From my experience a 1000 page epub will be between 30-40hrs for reading (really dependant on how fast a reader you are) and 2000ish page turns.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
This is why. Unless it's an officially download Kobo Kepub book the pages due to formatting, text size etc won't line up with how many pages are in the epub.

If you use the advanced settings within the book and turn on the pages for the epub you'll notice that most books depending on your formatting preferences will have a page every 1.5-2.5 page turns indicated as a small page number off in the margin.

From my experience a 1000 page epub will be between 30-40hrs for reading (really dependant on how fast a reader you are) and 2000ish page turns.
Well, I should set my font size super large, then get the Juggernaut award. I was at 70% completion, and lost my progress after needing to do a factory reset. All of my awards were retained. Boo-urns.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The page number at the bottom increments with each page turn.

François
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
frankieGom
Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post

The book I'm currently reading is a Kepub.

François
Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
It's just page turns not what you actually read.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
The page number at the bottom increments with each page turn.

François
The bigger the font the more pages there are at the bottom in kepubs. So like a previous poster said the page numbers won't change in a regular epub they will just stay the same until all the words that make up one page has been passed.

So regardless to the format of the book the larger the font more pages read will register.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote