Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Sans-serif fonts and iBooks

Has anyone come up with an alternative work a round for sans-serif fonts not being supported within the p., div, and span classes since this post on Liz's blog?

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...s-strikes.html

Since InDesign exports out Xhtml using all these class tags, What would be the correct method of changing them so the Sans-Serif font I want in my heading displays as sans-serif in iBooks, like it does everywhere else...

Keeping in mind I do not want to use the default H1, H2, H3 heading levels, unless, of course, I can find/change Paragraph names to h1, h2, h3 while keeping my defined formatting.

GRRRRRRRRR Apple iBooks GRRRRRRR

Thanks

Last edited by Adjust; 09-27-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Add some other tag to your <p> tags.

I'm using <p><abbr>ParagraphContent</abbr></p>.

I add the font styling to abbr and the layout styling to p.

F* Apple.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
georg3200
Connoisseur
georg3200 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Doesn't the iPad have global settings to change the font?
I was of the opinion, that when you use a serif-font like "georgia" the complete text is in georgia (a serif-font). And if you use "verdana" completely everything is in sans-serif?!?

We could not tell different parts of the text that they should be sans-serif while other parts should be in serif. Are we wrong and it is possible?
Maybe we used a wrong style: font-family:serif; ???

So, does it work, when I use abbr?
georg3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Add some other tag to your <p> tags.

I'm using <p><abbr>ParagraphContent</abbr></p>.

I add the font styling to abbr and the layout styling to p.

F* Apple.
Gotcha, thanks...
I ended up using the <samp></samp> tags. Works a treat for getting at pesky first few words in the first paragraph after a heading to display sans-serif.

So I guess you could use any redundant/not often used tags to compensate for Apple's blatant disregard to the epub standards.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
ibillabong
ibillabong began at the beginning.

For those out there still struggling to get fonts to work on these tags, your ePub is missing an com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file in the meta-inf folder.

Add this to the file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<display_options>
<platform name="*">
<option name="specified-fonts">true</option>
</platform>
</display_options>
ibillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Why do you resurrect such an old thread? The xml file you post is posted on several other places on the forum.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
Adjust
Addict

I guess because it's still relevant... i.e. sans serif does not display unless wrapped in a <samp> tag. Without embedding fonts
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It should no longer be relevant and the posting is not the solution. Resurrection is fine, if it contributes to the problem.
As I understood from Liz, the iBooks app does work now.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
Adjust
Addict

Pretty sure it breaks when you select another font from the list other than the default .
Which is why I still have to still use the <samp>
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iBooks in 2010 is not the same as iBooks in 2012. Things have been fixed and things have been changed. Unless you know for sure that what's talked about in 2010 is still relevent today, please leave it be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Adjust
Addict

So you're telling me that it doesn't break when you switch fonts?

Also I'm not the one who brought it back.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
So you're telling me that it doesn't break when you switch fonts?

Also I'm not the one who brought it back.
I have no idea if it does or does not break when fonts are switched. But that's not the point. The point is, do you know since you resurrected this thread?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
For sure, "specified-fonts" is still required. It distinguishes an iBook that has actually been tested and verified to look acceptable on iBooks from a file that has not. The assumption is that old books are much, much more likely to be broken. Thus, in EPUB books that lack that addition, all font specifications are just plain ignored.

The workaround where you have to add a tag inside the paragraph tag, however, is no longer required. It is a crude way to add specificity so that iBooks knows that some special piece of content should not change fonts along with the body text, but it is not a very good way.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Adjust
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
since you resurrected this thread?
Go back and take a look at the dates... I DIDN'T bring this back... But as it turns out, maybe it needed to be.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
ibillabong
ibillabong began at the beginning.

Hi all - Sorry to offend!

The reason I added my post was because I searched for an answer to this question, and found this board. Whether it's old or not, it's still shows up in searches (like searching programming help from 2005 can still be helpful).

The 2013 beta version of iBooks I have access to STILL has this problem. Adding the display-options xml file FIXES the problem. Let me also add that "samp" is not needed if specified fonts is true, so this fixes incorrect information originally posted in 2010. And samp is bad code practice.

Also - there is not a single reference to the display-options xml in this thread, so perhaps it should have been added (which I just did).
ibillabong is offline   Reply With Quote