Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Project: The ebook word cloud

So I had this idea yesterday

I want to make a word cloud banner for my blog, and I'd appreciate some help in finding all the relevant words. If you help me I'll make extra word clouds that I won't be using and I'll post them here. Everyone will be welcome to use them.

FYI: Don't suggest numbers or punctuation. They will be dropped by the program.

I attached my latest draft image. Here are the words that I have so far:

Kindle Sony Bebook Neo Amazon Pocketbook
e-reader ebook iPad Stanza Aldiko eReader
tablet Apple iOS Android Mobipocket Epub
Sipix Eink Liquavista Mirasol read digital
reader Bridgstone DXGraphite Alex Pocket Edition
Touch Daily Ebookwise Fictionwise BooksOnBoard
app Cruz Pandigital ETI Rocketbook Gemstar
Franklin Neonode Onyx Boox Hanlin Hanvon
Gajah Baen Tor library digital publishing
review reader ebookstore book books ebooks
Borders Kobo Chapters Indigo Whitcoulls Waterstones
WHSmiths Iliad Irex China IFA CES BEA
IDPF Cybook Bookeen Orizon Opus piracy
DRM chaos panic disorder Wifi Touchscreen
calibre mobileread ManyBooks Addall Webscription
Gutenburg library Sigil Geographic Restriction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	58465  

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-21-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could you explain what you mean by a "word cloud", Nate? It's something I've not come across!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look at the attached image. If you want more examples, go here:
http://www.wordle.net/

He explains it better than I can.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you explain what you mean by a "word cloud", Nate? It's something I've not come across!
Obviously, that's where all those falling letters that have been in vogue on TV and film computer screens since The Matrix come from.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
but all the words in your cloud are the same size and emphasis (unless I'm missing something) - surely the words you want to emphasise more should appear larger and easier to read and those words that aren't so interesting (for whatever reason) should fade more into the background. You appear to have created word mist
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
but all the words in your cloud are the same size and emphasis (unless I'm missing something) - surely the words you want to emphasise more should appear larger and easier to read and those words that aren't so interesting (for whatever reason) should fade more into the background. You appear to have created word mist
good one!

I was hoping to get more suggestions about the words to include so I left the weights out. If I showed the weighted word cloud I'm concerned that someone might nit pick the weighting. Also, I'm also not done assigning the weights.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Now that I think about it, the best way to do the weighting would be to let MR members vote on it.

Let's save that for another thread, though.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Due to having no idea what a "word cloud" was, I Googled it.

From Wiki:
Quote:
A text cloud or word cloud is a visualization of word frequency in a given text as a weighted list. The technique has recently been popularly used to visualize the topical content of political speeches
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Nate, what I am curious about is why you want to to have this word cloud banner? What's the 'added value' for your blog?
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Word clouds, when done well, can give you ata glance what's going through the minds of 100's, 1000's or even millions of users. If applied to just one persons writting then it probably just shows you that persons favourite words but when applied to user posts then it becomes a hand on the pulse of the web.

Obviously you'd want to just pull nouns and perhaps adjectives as it wouldn't look very interesting just seeing the word "and" in huge letters in the middle of your cloud. With minimal preprocessing they produce a reasonably accurate view of what people are talking about.

I think it would be very interesting to see what comes out when applied to the daily posts on a site like this.

Mike Mike Mike Mike
Mike Mike Mike Mike
Mike Mike Mike Mike
Mike Mike Mike Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Nate, what I am curious about is why you want to to have this word cloud banner? What's the 'added value' for your blog?
It would look pretty and be more on topic than the default banners.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Thanks, Nate. That's a valid reason. And now I understand why you're doing it the way you're doing it.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I can't see for looking hard, but some obvious ones would include ?

mobileread
iPod
ManyBooks
Addall
Webscription
Gutenburg
library (even Patricia Clark)
Calibre
Sigil
Geographic Restriction

but then as I write these, and check back with the 'cloud', I wonder is you have any specific criteria in mind ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I already had calibre and iOS, but you're right about the others. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #15
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
With an animated gif, you can make some letters change colors, resize, fade, or float. That would endow the banner with rainbow-like or cloud-like qualities.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote