Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
richardcb
richardcb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, PC, iPhone
Britain gets own Kindle Store

Any British Kindlers out there? Now that we have our own Kindle Store on Amazon.co.uk (finally!) I guess we'll soon have our own ordering problems and ebooks to discuss. Hopefully this will be a great place to do it - or are there any more UK-specific forums out there?
richardcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I just pre-ordered my first Kindle, been using the Sony ones for years now, but loved the idea of being able to download samples to the Kindle, before I buy. Just seems more convenient, plus its a good excuse for a new gadget!

I am hoping it all goes smoothly, just waiting for it to be released now, getting the old familiar new gadget butterflies in the tummy I love new gadgets.....
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
ivanz
ivanz began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX Graphite
From what I've read the UK store will have 250 000 books less than the US Store. I also suspect that we won't be able to access the US store from an UK Kindle.

I also wonder if we will get a chance to migrate our kindles bought from the US (global wireless/international) to the UK account and store? Does anyone know? (For example I have a Kindle DX Graphite Global Wireless purchased from the US)
ivanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
richardcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
I just pre-ordered my first Kindle, been using the Sony ones for years now, but loved the idea of being able to download samples to the Kindle, before I buy. Just seems more convenient, plus its a good excuse for a new gadget!

I am hoping it all goes smoothly, just waiting for it to be released now, getting the old familiar new gadget butterflies in the tummy I love new gadgets.....
I share your butterflies. August is going to be a very long month.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcb View Post
I share your butterflies. August is going to be a very long month.
lol, tell me about it. Nothing better than opening the box of a new gadget, lovely!

Changed my order today though, had ordered the 3G one, just cancelled and ordered the wi-fi instead.
Having read the manual it appears that it uses wifi as standard and the 3G is really only a backup for when wifi isn't available. I am really only using mine at home so have wifi access all the time, the £40 saving is better spent on some new ebooks, me thinks, not to mention the extra saving on battery for the wifi only version.....

Last edited by babyd; 07-31-2010 at 09:14 AM.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcb View Post
Now that we have our own Kindle Store on Amazon.co.uk .....
You're a bit premature. We won't have a UK Kindle Store until later in August. Until then, you can order the Kindle itself from Amazon UK, but you still have to buy the books, etc. from Amazon in the US.

Also, the Kindle Store won't necessarily offer much advantage over the existing arrangement. It won't abolish the geographic restrictions or the price differentials (although those are being eroded anyway).

The main benefit is that books will be priced in pounds, so those who pay with non-US credit or debit cards won't get stuck with currency costs.

That said, you're right that this is a good move and generally to be welcomed. And, by the way, it's not only the UK to which it applies. Several other countries will also get their own Kindle stores.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, but not Spain, for example. And I can buy games at Amazon UK but not Kindle. I have to go to Amazon USA and pay taxes.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
ksimm
ksimm has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505s & Kindle 3 (WiFi)
After seeing the price of the WiFi model I dived right in, and the news of a UK specific store helped my decision.

I love my 505 dearly, but the idea of being able to buy books on the device and getting samples, without connecting to my PC/Mac is very appealing.

I'm also looking forward to the improved contrast.

I feel like I'm jumping into the unknown though as I'm not sure of Amazon's ebook content. I just hope it's bigger than that of Waterstones! Also, despite the issues with Digital Editions / reader software and syncing with the 505, I kind of liked shopping around for books, so I hope Amazon's ebook store will be as competitive as their hard/paperbacks.

My only true worry is that my iPhone 4's ETA is August 24th, I hope they don't clash!

That's something else I will look forward too, the fact that I can read where I left off on my phone or reader.
ksimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Unfortunately there's no Kindle DX at amazon.co.uk.
Why it's only sold on amazon.com ?
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Unfortunately there's no Kindle DX at amazon.co.uk.
Why it's only sold on amazon.com ?

Give it time. Right now, Amazon are pushing the new 6-inch model. If they perceive a market for the DX on the non-US sites, it'll be available.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Yes, but not Spain, for example. And I can buy games at Amazon UK but not Kindle. I have to go to Amazon USA and pay taxes.
I guess there won't be a Spain-specific Kindle store because Amazon don't have a presence in Spain.

That said, Amazon do have a presence in France and Germany, and as far as I can see, there hasn't been a Kindle store announced for those countries, which seems odd.

Regarding taxes. You pay them anyway. There's no import duty on Kindle in the EU (or, if there is, it's pretty small). But you do pay VAT. If you buy the Kindle within the EU, the VAT will be included in the price. If you buy from the US, it will be charged at the point of import.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
richardcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
You're a bit premature. We won't have a UK Kindle Store until later in August. Until then, you can order the Kindle itself from Amazon UK, but you still have to buy the books, etc. from Amazon in the US....
You're quite correct, Mike, the store isn't 100% active until the end of August. However, the fact that there's a Kindle page on Amazon.co.uk and a Kindle link in the main menu right now is cause for a small celebration (typically British, of course. We don't want to cause a fuss.).
Old 07-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Very cool news. If each of the main Amazon sites has it's own kindle store, maybe this will help regional authors get more of a platform in their home regions, which would be nice.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #14
pabulous
pabulous began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300 (owned for about a month!), Kindle 3 preordered
I'm looking forward to seeing what's available on the UK store. Having to use the US store was what put me off ordering a Kindle before this new iteration was announced, so I'm really glad they're bringing it over here.
pabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
pre-ordered the 3g kindle 3, looking forward to it.
my aging iliads battery and 5 page jumping is getting annoying.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote