Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
... and why is 13k books excessive. One of the reasons I want an eReader is to have a pocket library that works...
Hmmm, let's do some math. You do know about math don't you? Well if you read 3 books every week how long would it take you to read 13,000 books? Well let's see--13,000 divided by 3 books per week divided by 52 weeks per year equals 83 years and 4 months to read 13,000 books!

An SD card with 13,000 files placed in a card reader on the fastest desktop PCs or Macs available would take a long time to be scanned. If you think the same SD card with 13,000 files should be quickly scanned by a device purposely designed with a slow processor expressly for reading eBooks and you cannot see the major flaws in your thinking, then your mother raised an idiot, and the idiot is not one of your siblings.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
As a PRS700 owner, I'm just laughing at this thread. Updates from Sony, lol!
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #18
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
katewilly, I'm completely with you. But hey, let's dream a little....
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
FWIW, I haven't really wondered about updates for my 900. So far, I've not had any problems with the reader, and it seems to be a pretty well finished product (and not one reset ncessary). And I'm not a Sony fan - have had a few Sony products that were real lemons.
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Hmm, let's do some thinking... ah, descending to insults in discussion/arguments - sign of an inadequate thought process/person who knows their way/ideas are RIGHT!!!! Whatever...

Oh yes... I average a book a day and I figure that I can get through 15K books in the next 40 odd years... my SD card on a 505 (with 25K books) is perfectly accessible on my 505, Macs and PCs (and that's from experience, not thinking but doing) and my late mother didn't raise any form of idiot... watch out for mirrors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Hmmm, let's do some math. You do know about math don't you? Well if you read 3 books every week how long would it take you to read 13,000 books? Well let's see--13,000 divided by 3 books per week divided by 52 weeks per year equals 83 years and 4 months to read 13,000 books!

An SD card with 13,000 files placed in a card reader on the fastest desktop PCs or Macs available would take a long time to be scanned. If you think the same SD card with 13,000 files should be quickly scanned by a device purposely designed with a slow processor expressly for reading eBooks and you cannot see the major flaws in your thinking, then your mother raised an idiot, and the idiot is not one of your siblings.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #21
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I think the Sony readers are pretty good in terms of Firmware and UserInterface.
However, the clock is really useful while reading as it pulls you back into real live if you see how late it already is. And I just wonder why Sony didn't implement this right away (and once they're at it, implement some other useful features too, just to get ahead of the competition). I mean the clock is there anyways. So why not let the user decide if he wants to see it?
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Please would any sarcastically-minded members look at our posting guidelines (on the blue bar at the bottom of this page) and refrain from personal insult.

Quote:
From the first Guideline:
Don’t say, “You’re an idiot,” or “anyone who thinks that is crazy.” Instead, say, “I disagree,” or better still, “I disagree because…”
Patricia
(Moderator)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Ok, so the gerneal concensus seems to be that if there is nothing actually broken there, most likely, will not be any FW updates coming from Sony.

That is disappointing. As I said I am very satisfied with my reader, it is everything I thought it would be so I can 't complain. However, now that I've had one and know what I like, I'll be sure to be a bit more selective and do more shopping when it is time to replace this one. And updates will be big part of what I look for.

thanks everyone for your responses
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #24
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Ok, so the gerneal concensus seems to be that if there is nothing actually broken there, most likely, will not be any FW updates coming from Sony.

That is disappointing. As I said I am very satisfied with my reader, it is everything I thought it would be so I can 't complain. However, now that I've had one and know what I like, I'll be sure to be a bit more selective and do more shopping when it is time to replace this one. And updates will be big part of what I look for.

thanks everyone for your responses

You could consider getting one of the 5" readers for linear reading. I have an Astak Pocket Pro and have seen a Pocketbook 360 and an OPUS live. All are very good devices and cheap considering the market.

I use my PP for linear reading and most of my reading. I still love my 505 kept it over my GEN 3 which I sold to a friend. I keep my 505 at home read it on the weekends..... Mostly old novels, poetry, classics that I am slowly rereading....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote