Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
jharrison
jharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad
Borrowed ebooks from library and ...

I think have found something quite interesting, and I couldn't find where it had been mentioned here before. I had only 1 day left to finish reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown, and I had yet to start it. While in the Sony library I changed the date on my PC back a few days thru Win XP. I noticed that this changed the time I had left to read the e-book from 1 day to 6. I deleted the book off the 505 and put it back on from the Sony library and it now shows 6 days instead of 1 also. Whether it stops working tomorrow or not, I don't know. I tested by pushing the date forward on my system and all my library books showed expired and I was unable to open them. When I corrected to the right date, all the borrowed books were viewable again.

Windows XP, SP 3
Sony Library Software 3.0
Adobe Digital Editions
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting and seems likely. I did that sort of thing many years back on some trial software.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
That's a great tip there so I hope it works
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
What I do is a trick I learned right here on Mobileread.

I download the library book to my Sony 505 and then change the date on the Sony to 2008 instead of the current 2009. Be aware that if you sign back into the Sony Store or Adobe Digital Editions, it will change the date and delete your expired book. I forgot and did that one day without thinking. Changing the date on the Sony does give you time to get that book finished.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
jharrison
jharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad
Excellent trick about changing date on Sony Reader, luvshistzu. I now have 367 days -- plenty of time. Now I don't have to keep getting in line to download the books I didn't finish.
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
That kind of defeats the purpose of the library, doesn't it? What about the person that has that book in their queue and is waiting for you to be done reading it?
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
That kind of defeats the purpose of the library, doesn't it? What about the person that has that book in their queue and is waiting for you to be done reading it?

It will still be released at the library.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #8
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Can you put the files on a memory stick and then keep the date in the reader on 2008?
Move files only on the memory stick and never sync directly between the reader and your PC???
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds a little dishonest to me, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds a little dishonest to me, I'm afraid.
Yes. Perhaps. I work in business strategy for a large video and book firm and
I'm always curious about methods around DRM.

I do wish that adobe drm started the "counter" on your "rental" of the
book after you first access the book on the reader. I find I'm in a waiting
list for titles from the local library and when I finally get my turn it
may not be the best 2 weeks for me. Some movie rental retailers are
already using DRM that starts the 24 hour rental window when you actually start using (playing) the video. I wish we had something like this for books.
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Sounds deliciously evil
Seriously, where is your conscience? It's almost as bad as deDRMing it and keeping it..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
Sorry, I don't see it as illegal. All changing the date does is let you keep the ebook a little bit longer after your library has checked it out to you. You can't lend it to anyone or give it away while it stays on your reader. Doing this doesn't keep anyone else from being able to check out the ebook. eBooks return automatically from Adobe Digital Editions on your computer at the end of 3 weeks. Your library pays a fee to Overdrive for each time you check out a book and put it on your Sony. Changing the date allows you to read for a few more days just as if you kept a hardback book a few extra days. Our library gives us a 4 day grace period for all hardback books without fines.

Right now when you get audiobooks through Overdrive from your library, it isn't removed at the end of the three weeks by the DRM. As long as it is for your personal use, it will stay on your MP3 Player. You are asked to remove it from your player when finished. This is Overdrive only. If you weren't finished, you would have to go back to the end of the line for the book. Right now several books I am waiting for will be 168 + days before I can get to them again. 8 people ahead of me for 21 days each plus a three day hold. NetLibrary audiobooks disappear at the end of the checkout period, but they do allow you to check it out again right away, so this works better for most readers.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
If you are "in" the book when it expires (and you are actually in one of the pages, not just on the bookʻs menu page), you can keep it as long as you want. As soon as you exit, if it has expired, you lose the book. Thatʻs something I discovered along the way as well! No changing dates required.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #14
kennyc

Grace that would make sense as it probably only checks the date and does the decryption when you load it.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #15
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
it's no more dishonest that Kindle owners who de-drm their books and re-format. Just sayin'.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote