Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Do you think Sony will drop prices before Christmas?

It has been rumored that the Daily Edition would sell for $400 (well, $399), but that price seems higher every time a new reader enters the market (the last one is the Nookie, that looks very competitive, and is going to sell for $259, just as the Kindle 2). When 6" devices were $299, a price tag of $399 for a bigger screen didn't seem so horrible, but now it looks less and less compelling, at least for me.

And how about the PRS-600 and PRS-300? Well, I wouldn't expect a price drop in devices so recently launched, but who knows. Maybe Sony is feeling the heat...
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
It has been rumored that the Daily Edition would sell for $400 (well, $399), but that price seems higher every time a new reader enters the market (the last one is the Nookie, that looks very competitive, and is going to sell for $259, just as the Kindle 2). When 6" devices were $299, a price tag of $399 for a bigger screen didn't seem so horrible, but now it looks less and less compelling, at least for me.

And how about the PRS-600 and PRS-300? Well, I wouldn't expect a price drop in devices so recently launched, but who knows. Maybe Sony is feeling the heat...
This is the same company which refused to drop PS3 prices even when the Xbox360 and Wii were eating their lunch, and only did so after a hardware refresh... so I doubt we'll see any eReader price drops, at least not until the next generation shows up and they need to clear inventory.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think Amazon is feeling the heat...and they should have some price drops
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think EInk readers are going to be in short supply this Christmas season (high supply, but even higher demand). There might be some price drops, particularly of Sony's at discount stores, but don't wait too long or you may have trouble finding the Reader you want.

If the DR800SG is $400 the Daily Reader has to be less than that eventually but can Sony produce enough before Christmas to make reducing the price necessary?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I think Amazon is feeling the heat...and they should have some price drops
I agree that the new B&N reader is going to be major competition for Amazon (IMO the first real competition) but I think it's going to be it's going to be worse for Sony.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If the DR800SG is $400 the Daily Reader has to be less than that eventually but can Sony produce enough before Christmas to make reducing the price necessary?
Apparently, the DR800SG is going to be $450.

Bestbuy
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
siskiyousummit
siskiyousummit began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, possibly Sony 600
Looks like they might lower prices for Thanksgiving weekend in the US. Their price march guarantee on the SonyStyle web site said that the match is not effective for prices found that weekend.
I have a 600 sitting in my cart and am waiting to take the plunge. Hard to spend the money now, and I'd love to actually see the B&N Nook before making the commitment. Most of my books are on Fictionwise as secure eReader format, so it might be easier to use the B&N (though I am learning how to strip DRM).
I'm also a bit disenchanted with the 600 screen. The sample in my Staples store looked pretty blurry.
Jim
siskiyousummit is offline   Reply With Quote