Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #31
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I know you can do it! I'll give you karma cookies if you do.
Mmm, cookies...arggllll...
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #32
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
And for the record - my plot is nowhere near complete. The whole story is about 800 words that came to me a week ago when I realized that I needed to put something on paper to give myself something set in stone to use.

In short: This year's challenge involves an underwater world that's been created using an oopsies style technology that worked but didn't work the way it should

It's a quest story with the goal to get out of the "black"
Along the way hero gets sucked up into a three-way war between the sentinent sea life, the people who live under the sea, and the token bad guy who also mysteriously ended up there.

And then Borderlands came out and distracted me. I need to put away the toys. :/

Last edited by jaxx6166; 10-25-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Premise/Scenery Flavor Text = 741 words
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #33
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Umm...dmon65, are you...are you...me?

I have signed up for NaNoWriMo this year...I don't know if I'll complete it. I know the sense of wanting to write, and not doing it because I want everything to be perfect, is stopping me from even starting. I also know that NaNoWriMo's approach of "Just write. You don't have to publish. You don't have to show anyone. It doesn't matter if it's complete crap. JUST WRITE! Get something on "paper"!" means that I can just do it, with the only pressure being the number of words every day.

I know I am going to write crap. There's even a chance I'll bury the result so deep, technically and mentally, that you won't be able to find it with a sophisticated turd-detector or a turn-it-up-to-11-MRI. I'm okay with that. I've lost nothing by trying, and gained a lot by it - broken through that first, real writer's block that stops you even starting.

I'm a 39yo, ex-IT, never-written-anything-before absurdist with delusions that he wants to be a writer when he grows up. I'll admire you for starting, if you admire me for it. That'll surely poke any self-humiliation in the eye with a sharp pen (well, okay, sharpened-edge-of-keyboard). Let's not write the next great novel. Let's try write our own firsts, and be happy that we'd tried (and maybe even completed!).

Cheers,
Marc
First, foremost and completely heart-felt:

Thank You Marc.

I really appreciate all the other encouragement offered from everyone else, I have signed up and will attempt this insanely daunting task. I'll let you know when to send the cookies Jaxx! Vivaldi, the wagging tail is noted and and truly got a big grin here. And nomesque, you offering up your first attempt for perusing is amazingly appreciated! I will be reading it, bottom-up, very soon! Thank you all.

Montsnmags I certainly hope (for your sake) you're not me, or the other way around! But there are so many similarities that your words cored me. Obviously you do understand all my misgivings and pretty much debunked them all. The line about "when you grow up" has been said here so often I thought you had been listening in! By the way, I've got you by 4 years and it still hasn't happened, I think you've got some time!

Along with my thanks, you definitely have my admiration!
Let's do this! Possible crash-and-burn be damned (feared, but damned anyway)!

Darrell
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #34
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:50 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #35
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Hey folks....

Smashwords just said they'll have a dedicated Nanowrimo section where you can upload your progress daily...
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #36
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Coming to this thread late, but I'm also having a bash at NaNoWriMo this year. So far, I have a title, an idea, and a whole lot of research (although much of it is recycled research from a multitude of other things and personal obsessions)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #37
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I just signed up. I'm going to write "Armsitice Walker and the Golden Orb." Sort of an actually publishable take on my Harv and Vera stories. Except that the Goose is flying down to the Amazon to help an archeologist find the fabled Golden Orb of the Incas. And trying to outrun the Nazi spies who are doing the same. Vivaldi is there, too.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #38
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I just signed up. I'm going to write "Armsitice Walker and the Golden Orb." Sort of an actually publishable take on my Harv and Vera stories. Except that the Goose is flying down to the Amazon to help an archeologist find the fabled Golden Orb of the Incas. And trying to outrun the Nazi spies who are doing the same. Vivaldi is there, too.
Looking forward to reading what you come up with (you are going to upload it here when it's done??)
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #39
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we should form our own region and upload our stuff as we go along. Anyone know how to make a region?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #40
pshrynk

I just created a social group! Come on over and join in!

Click here to get to it.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #41
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:

Click here to get to it.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #42
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice if we could do a region on Nano but I think it has to be an actual place and we need a municipal leader and yada yada yada.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #43
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Click here to get to it.
Joined.

I downloaded Scrivener, taking advantage of their extended Trial for NaNoWriMo, but I'm yet to even open it, trembling in fear of confusion.

I really should properly get started...what's this "snowflake" thing? What about a title? How does a gas barbecue work? It's all so intimidating.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #44
jaxx6166
Wizard

I dont think I know what the snowflake method is either. I think it may be something like a spiderweb or something that they taught me in grade school where you basically draw a big circle and spiral things out from there.
Scrivener is useful. Just be sure to do the tutorial. Twice.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #45
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I dont think I know what the snowflake method is either. I think it may be something like a spiderweb or something that they taught me in grade school where you basically draw a big circle and spiral things out from there.
Sounds like the story of my life: draw a big circle and watch everything spiral out of control from there.

Quote:
Scrivener is useful. Just be sure to do the tutorial. Twice.
Thanks, I will do...right now.

Cheers,
Marc