Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Odd problem when dragging/dropping

Hey guys. Ever since I got my Kobo, I have had this odd issue when using drag/drop to put books on the device.

Let's say I have 4 books to copy over. I will plug in my Kobo, it will process the reader, the file explorer for the reader will pop up, and then I select "paste" or drag/drop, and it will start copying, as expected. What is odd, and this happens every time; is that midway through a copy, *every* time, the reader will give me an error stating "Disk not found", and I will not be able to access the kobo via explorer without unplugging it and plugging it back in.

It's like I have a small window of opportunity to add files to the reader, and after that time, explorer disconnects it.

Has anyone else had this happen? As I am not often adding books from other sources, it doesn't handicap me too much, but it is aggravating when I am trying to get books on there.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Make sure your cable is properly plugged to both the reader on one end and the computer on the other, a loose connection could be the issue.
Don't forget to deactivate the connection before actually unplugging it as this may cause some damage though I don't exactly know of what type.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Don't forget to deactivate the connection before actually unplugging it as this may cause some damage though I don't exactly know of what type.
Fortunately the damage that could be caused is corruption of the books database on your Kobo. While this is annoying (you're likely stuck doing a factory reset if it does that), it's not particularly fatal to the device. Definitely good practice to do this because it can happen, but I've accidentally done it before with no issues.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
Hey guys. Ever since I got my Kobo, I have had this odd issue when using drag/drop to put books on the device.

Let's say I have 4 books to copy over. I will plug in my Kobo, it will process the reader, the file explorer for the reader will pop up, and then I select "paste" or drag/drop, and it will start copying, as expected. What is odd, and this happens every time; is that midway through a copy, *every* time, the reader will give me an error stating "Disk not found", and I will not be able to access the kobo via explorer without unplugging it and plugging it back in.

It's like I have a small window of opportunity to add files to the reader, and after that time, explorer disconnects it.

Has anyone else had this happen? As I am not often adding books from other sources, it doesn't handicap me too much, but it is aggravating when I am trying to get books on there.
I have had an intermittent problem that is similar using Calibre. Through trial and error and much help from the author of the Kobo driver, I have narrowed down the problem to being old computer/poorly functioning USB ports.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
Has anyone else had this happen?
The same happened to me many times. I cannot copy a larger number of files or a big file to my KT from my laptop (running XP). This prevents for instance that I can update the firmware via the desktop application.

This problem has however never occurred with my netbook or my PC ( both running windows 7). I have no idea whether this is related to the windows version. The USB connection works fine with all my other devices.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The same happened to me many times. I cannot copy a larger number of files or a big file to my KT from my laptop (running XP). This prevents for instance that I can update the firmware via the desktop application.

This problem has however never occurred with my netbook or my PC ( both running windows 7). I have no idea whether this is related to the windows version. The USB connection works fine with all my other devices.
Same with my Xp machine. All other devices work fine with the USB except the Kobo. One thing that helped was changing properties for the Kobo from optimize for performance to optimize for quick removal (or the other way round, I can't recall exactly). But it was narrowed down to old hardware/USB issues.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
One thing that helped was changing properties for the Kobo from optimize for performance to optimize for quick removal (or the other way round, I can't recall exactly).
Thank you! I will try this next time I need to copy some files.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote