Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #106
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
German still does hypernation after/before just one single letter. I really wonder if anyone from Kobo ever reads all the complaints about these things...
I read with fully justified text, in 2.1.1 I noticed an odd effect where apostrophised words had spaces inserted before and after the apostrophe, just noticed that's fixed in 2.1.4
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #107
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Both our KT's got the 43710 update revision and side-loaded content is living on an SD card.

This message is subject to change after using the KT/2.1.4 for a couple of days to see if the restart after sleep has really gone away.

Still no joy. It seems to depend on how long the KT is sleeping but still non-responsive and reboots after a few taps after being woken up.

I'm going to try without the SD card and see how it behaves.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #108
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Any Canadians get the 2.1.4 update through WiFi or desktop on their Touch yet?
Yes. I got the update yesterday morning.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #109
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My Touch updated Oct. 3rd as did my sister's KT.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #110
RangoX
RangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
What if Australian users use a proxy to hide their australian IP?

BTW I'm glad I'm hearing users saying that the slow page turn problem in sideloaded ebooks seems to be solved, I'm still afraid to update my kobo with 1.9.17 since it works so smoothly...
RangoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #111
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Quote:
I was going to ask the same thing. Mine hasn't updated yet, either.
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #112
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Not yet. I started having early symptoms of database corruption (kept losing the usb connection). Did a factory reset and still haven't gotten the new firmware.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #113
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Not yet. I started having early symptoms of database corruption (kept losing the usb connection). Did a factory reset and still haven't gotten the new firmware.
Got it yesterday, Vancouver Island, BC... and then went to 1.9.17 again, see previous posts if you want to know why.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #114
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Updated from 2.1.1. with no problems so far.
(Manually ... since this is still the only way to avoid the stupid hyphenation settings for some languages.
KOBO: would you please fix this!!! You know what to do (you did for SOME languages), it takes about a minute per dictionary and you don't even need to test anything after editing the settings there to some reasonable values. Hint: hyphenating single letters is NOT considered reasonable and/or desirable by many!

Improvements:

- A few things work significantly faster know. Switching from within a book to the home screen or opening the library for instance. This is a major and very welcome improvement and alone worth the update.

-Shelves may be actually usable now since you can add individual books to shelves from the library view.

- Cover display bug is fixed

Not so nice:

- The lower part of the home screen has received a new area that permanently displays 'Your Wishlist is Empty' (I assume it will display your wishlist in case you have one set up).
This is just another thing on the home screen (in addition to the 'Discover', 'Find Books' and 'Reading Life' stuff) that I consider somewhat annoying since I have no intention to ever use the Kobo book store or any 'social reading' features.
This is, of course, not impeding the functional user experience too much, but it bugs me because the screen space could be used more efficiently for other functions. I'd appreciate options to just hide all store and social reading related functions.

- To call up a translation dictionary is ergonomically rather dysfunctional.
Select a word in an English book and the English dictionary entry will show up by default. To call up the translation dictionary you have to click the book item at the bottom of the screen, then click on translation dictionary in the pop up menu, then it defaults to the English-French dictionary, if this is not installed, you get a message 'You don't have any English-Francais Translation dictionary installed' (I might say that this is not the most intelligent implementation ...) , then you can select the dictionary you actually want to query from a drop down list of installed dictionaries. That's 5 clicks to get to a translation - if there is any ... the dictionaries as such are rather poor too.
It's nice that you can now delete unneeded dictionaries, but what's the use of this if you cannot set defaults at the same time?

- In the shelves / add books menu you have to touch the book title and NOT one of the little '+'-signs to add a book to a shelve. This is inconsistent with the general GUI design. (Took me a while to find this out. I first thought that there was just a bug preventing me from adding books to shelves.)

- In the reading context menu the progress bar indicating chapter borders is gone. This was a nice (and working) feature - why was it taken away?

- The time display at the top of the reading context menu switches very fast to %read (way faster than in 2.1.1.). There would be space enough to just display both time and %read .... or time enough keep the clock up just a little bit longer.

Last edited by guma; 10-05-2012 at 06:55 PM.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #115
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Yes, two days ago: firmware: 2.1.4 (r 43710, 10/01/12).
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #116
dsgweb
dsgweb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
First Impressions

Good:

-More dictionaries and the way to handle them.
-The wi fi is a little faster.
-The epub page turn speed is faster than 2.0 but a little slower than 1.9.17.

Not So Good:
-Wishlist bar in the home screen
-Problem going to the homepage(it reset) from a kepub(only once).
-Clicking in the dictionary it reset(only once).
-I miss the full cover view in the library section.
-Sometimes turning the page it hangs up, but after a minute is working correctly.

It´s my feeling that this software was made for the glo and adapted for the touch.
I like the new interface but I prefer a more stable software like 1.9.1.7
dsgweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #117
lissandro.sosa
lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch
Official 2.1.4 Date Release

There are a Specified Date for the 2.1.4 release? I know there are rollout by the time.

I see almost all of us here have manually loaded the 2.1.4 version, but it should not be.

Also there is no official news, as the apparition of the 2.0.0 firmware, there was news on the blog, on websites, review, etc. on this firmware.

I have version 2.1.4 loaded manually, to directly test the features, which are many and have improved in many aspects (and removed features in others), but this issue of the upgrade should be handled in a better way.

I would not want to pass as version 2.0.0 which was 2 officialmente releases via desktop and an extra official, this due to bugs, still the definitive version 2.0.0c version.

Last edited by lissandro.sosa; 10-05-2012 at 01:14 PM.
lissandro.sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #118
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
Not so nice:

- The lower part of the home screen has received a new area that permanently displays 'Your Wishlist is Empty' (I assume it will display your wishlist in case you have one set up).
This is just another thing on the home screen (in addition to the 'Discover', 'Find Books' and 'Reading Life' stuff) that I consider somewhat annoying since I have no intention to ever use the Kobo book store or any 'social reading' features.
This is, of course, not impeding the functional user experience too much, but it bugs me because the screen space could be used more efficiently for other functions. I'd appreciate options to just hide all store and social reading related functions.
It's rather pointless to complain about this because a large part of the reason e-readers even exist is to drive people to purchase content from the related store. All the major brands have this, and I think it's something we just have to accept. I rarely ever look at the home screen anyway, and then only very briefly as I'm heading directly to the library screen to find something else to read, and then I don't see the home screen again for another dozen or more hours.

As long as ads don't show up while I'm reading and the functionality of the device is not unreasonably restricted in some way, I'm fine with e-readers putting whatever advertising or marketing gimmicks they want on the home screen. To me, it's akin to a "Be sure to check out these other great novels!" page at the beginning of a book: harmless and easily ignored.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #119
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissandro.sosa View Post
There are a Specified Date for the 2.1.4 release? I know there are rollout by the time.

I see almost all of us here have manually loaded the 2.1.4 version, but it should not be.
It has been officially released, just not to all regions yet.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #120
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
To me, it's akin to a "Be sure to check out these other great novels!" page at the beginning of a book: harmless and easily ignored.
+1 for me
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote