Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
gabcarac
gabcarac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300
Missing titles in bestsellers list

I was browsing bestsellers list on the eBook Store from Sony and found this interesting comment:

Quote:
7 Playing for Pizza (10/01/2007) John Grisham

Currently Unavailable. Some titles are not yet available due to rights issues, and some titles are not good candidates for eBooks (e.g., coffee table books). We are always adding new titles, so check again soon!
It's as if they are blaming publishers in front of their customers (who other would browse their store) and also apologizing for not having the book available for sale. What I found interesting is that they listed the book at all! They didn't hide from the fact that it was unavailable.

link
gabcarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Well, they want you to email the publishers and request that title. They also want you to email them and request the title. It would be silly to hide it, if they're reprinting a top 10 bestseller list, it would be pretty obvious if they skipped #7. Also, they can use that to get their customers to make noise with publishers for the book.
I strongly suspect that the publisher and/or author *is* the reason the book isn't available in Sony's store, so why not point the finger at them? It's in their best interest to acquire the largest library they can, and anything to pressure publishers to make their content available aids that effort.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That particular book doesn't appear to be available in ANY eBook format, so it's not just Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ya blew it. I love ya, Lar, but ya blew it.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How did anyone blow anything? Spook69, why do you have this need to berate Sony for things they are not doing wrong?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I don't even understand Spooky69's reply!

But I suspect that John Grisham may be such a powerful author that simply isn't in love with technology and refuses to go along with these infernal newfangled devices.

Martha Grimes is another author who sells enough to have clout with the publishers and who replied to an email I sent her (she obviously doesn't hate all technology!) by saying that she prefers to remain about 20 years behind the curve and so I shouldn't expect any ebook versions of her books and she hoped I would continue to enjoy reading her books on paper.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some authors do not want to have electronic versions of their books. This is their right to do so. But it is also our right to not purchase their books at all if they won't release eBook editions. So as I see it, if I want to read eBooks, I can purchase from the available eBooks and those that won't get with today won't get my money. It is my choice.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I don't even understand Spooky69's reply!
I am second to it and I blame my English.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
It may be that some authors, such as John Grisham, have some control over their digital rights. I would suspect Grisham's books are unavailable as ebooks because he is unhappy with the compensation the publisher is offering.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsohsmith View Post
It may be that some authors, such as John Grisham, have some control over their digital rights. I would suspect Grisham's books are unavailable as ebooks because he is unhappy with the compensation the publisher is offering.
Ha-ha.
Does he get a better deal for paper back editions? I would not believe it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsohsmith View Post
They are available on audiobooks (audible.com) and I've seen eReader (pdb) copies on newsgroups, I don't know where they came from if they are not released as ebooks. I didn't find any legal copies on the normal ebook stores on the net.
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Some powerful authors withhold electronic editions because of the economic issue -- if they get 15% of what the publisher gets, then they'll get more from an $8 paperback than from a $4 ebook. And we're all complaining that we want the ebooks to cost less than the paper books because of lower distribution and production costs. Yet contracts are in percentages, so lower prices mean lower profits for writers. We can't have it both ways.

Other authors are against ebooks because of moral issues -- they are firmly entrenched in the "to be a book worth reading it has to be on paper" school of traditionalists.

No matter where an author stands, I encourage all of us to let them know 1) if we want them to release ebook versions for the Sony Reader; 2) that we won't be buying any paper books from them anymore (if we make that decision); 3) that they might reconsider if the lack of ebook editions is due to technological phobia.

Additionally, it is important to let the publishers know that you won't be buying any paper versions of their books so if they want your money they'll need to release ebook versions. That way they can figure out how to persuade all their authors (financially and philosophically) to agree.

And the third prong is to let the Sony Connect store know which authors and/or specific books you want them to sell so that they can then go to the publishers with some numbers which will have more impact.

Gradually the world is changing so that more and more books are being released in ebook format, but it takes time and patience. I remember wishing for movies I loved to be released first in VHS format and later in DVD format, and also for older jazz artists to be released in CD format. Just when I had given up hope, there would be what I had been waiting for, staring at me from a shelf in a CD store or video store.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyparrot View Post
I've seen eReader (pdb) copies on newsgroups, I don't know where they came from if they are not released as ebooks.
They come from very dedicated people with scanners and a lot of time.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That is why I do say that a lot of eBooks available on the darknet are eBooks that when created were not then available as eBooks.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
Some powerful authors withhold electronic editions because of the economic issue -- if they get 15% of what the publisher gets, then they'll get more from an $8 paperback than from a $4 ebook. And we're all complaining that we want the ebooks to cost less than the paper books because of lower distribution and production costs. Yet contracts are in percentages, so lower prices mean lower profits for writers. We can't have it both ways.
But that must be a problem with the authors contract. If the distribution and production cost is lower they have to get a higher percentage in their contracts.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote