Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2015, 04:20 AM   #421
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I see Baen sent it to them on May 15th. You'd think Kobo could get there act together enough to have it up for sale by now.
I have a query in with Kobo about it at the moment. I'm getting responses, but mostly along the lines of 'perhaps xxx will know about this'.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:16 AM   #422
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have a query in with Kobo about it at the moment. I'm getting responses, but mostly along the lines of 'perhaps xxx will know about this'.
Dragon in Exile has now appeared at Kobo. A bit late for me to use my competition discount code on it though. I'll have to wait until the next competition.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #423
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
After reading Dragon in Exile I've been on a re-reading binge of some of the older books and one thing is bugging me: The Delm has not Seen Theo. There are mentions of Seeing of other (spoiler) folks, but no Theo.

Was this intentional: Politics? Kindness? Was it simply off camera? Did I totally zone out and miss it?
And another thought -- Will Waitley be joining bel'Tarda as a secondary line?

Any ideas? I'm guessing this has been discussed to death somewhere out in the 'net.

(There is part of a sentence about Miri in Conflict of Honors I never noticed before!)
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #424
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ghost Ship, Chapter 2, near the beginning of the chapter:

Quote:
Yet here stood Val Con, a slender, brown-haired pilot somewhat her elder, who disputed Father not one whit, but merely inclined his head formally, and murmured, “Sister Theo. I am all joy to see you.”
Not quite as absolutely clear as in some other instances.

On Waitley as a secondary line? I don't see it somehow. I think Theo is clearly yos'Phelium as reckoned by Liaden customs, and I don't see Kamele starting another line.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #425
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
“Sister Theo. I am all joy to see you.”, meaning she's acknowledged as blood kin as opposed to Korval (the Delm) seeing her as a member of line yos'Phelium or clan Korval I think. I thought there was something in one of the books about it not being a good idea for the Delm to "see" her in that sense at this time, but can't find it now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #426
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I couldn't either. Maybe it's in one of the short stories?

Probably the place to ask is on the Baen Bar. I don't have as much time to spend there as I'd like, but Sharon Lee has a forum there and does check in semi-regularly.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:12 AM   #427
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Didn't Kamele say to Daav (as Jen Sar Kiladi) "I am all joy to see you." in Liaden when she first met him?
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #428
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Priscilla greets Shan with "I am all joy to see you" and is later taught that the phrase is only used between close kin or lovers. So it is not interchangeable with 'see', as in the Delm formally acknowledging a new member of the Clan. I've caught 4 scenes where members are formally seen. No Theo.

Shan was insta-clan because of his surname. Theo remains a Waitley. The Mizel kids were fostered out to a sub-House and no longer owed allegiance to Mizel. There are also all those contract kids who go to other houses and have no genetic rights (AFAIK) to the 'donor' parent's house. My personal feeling is its a melat'i thing: she has not claimed kinship to Korval only her father or her brother.

I've got Local Custom and the short stories left to re-read so maybe more examples will pop up. I'll try a search at the Baen bar as well.

Last edited by artifact; 07-02-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #429
artifact
Addict

Speak of the devil...

Shan and Priscilla Ride Again, chapter 11 which was put up just today:

Quote:
She stepped back and swept the bow between intimates, singing out with perfect intonation, “Fin Ton, I am all joy to see you.”

Shock lanced through him. He looked sharply down the street; mercifully saw no one he knew. Priscilla was grinning hugely.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #430
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yes, saw that. And definitely agreed with the authorial comments on this chapter.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #431
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I was reading Necessity's Child today, and was captivated by this
"... Ms. Taylor had them standing to follow a list of commands she called out in the melant'i of Simon..."

Ah, Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, I am all joy to read you.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #432
CRussel
(he/him/his)

A Liaden Universe Constellation, Volume III

For those who haven't been paying attention, the latest collection of Liaden Universe short stories, A Liaden Universe Constellation Volume III, is now available from Baen, Amazon, and whomever.

There is nothing in this book that hasn't been available at some point before, but at least a couple I'd managed to miss, and the others were an enjoyable re-read. An excellent collection. Highly recommended.

The stories in this collection and their original publication are:
  • Code of Honor (Splinter Universe, 2014)
  • Eleutherious (Baen.com, 2013)
  • Guaranteed Delivery (Splinter Universe, 2011)
  • Intelligent Design (Baen.com, 2011)
  • Kin Ties (Splinter Universe, 2011)
  • King of the Cats (SRM Publisher, Ltd., 2002 in The Cat's Job)
  • Landed Alien (Baen.com, 2012)
  • Moon's Honor (Splinter Universe, 2013)
  • Out of True (Baen.com, 2013)
  • Roving Gambler (Splinter Universe, 2014)
  • The Rifle's First Wife (Splinter Universe, 2014)
  • The Space at Tinsori Light (Splinter Universe, 2011)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #433
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks for the reminder Charlie. I'll probably wait for a good Kobo coupon, but will definitely pick up.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #434
CRussel
(he/him/his)

A couple in there I didn't remember. And only one that I didn't much like. (I'm _not_ a big fan of that whole Moonhawk subplot.)
Old 07-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #435
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is the proper order to read the Liaden Universe in chronological order that includes all of the stories from A Liaden Universe Constellation, Volume III? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote