Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
put a big scratch on my new prs-350 (casing a screen) can I replace parts?

I will get some pictures up soon but anyway I placed my electric guitar on it not knowing the little guy was there . I now have 2 large scratches on the silvery right side and one of the scratches goes part way across the actual screen.

I see if you look on the left there are screws which give me a slight hope that I could be able to get a new top and possibly just slide and click it on. Am I delusionary here? Do sony even sell parts like this? and is there any hope for the screen?

I get depressed every time I look at it. I will call sony on monday but was hoping other in the know could give me any info on my chances of getting this baby back in shape. Yours truly depressed ereader
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
That's a shame. I don't know the answers to your questions, but do you think you might get used to it over time? Do the scratches interfere with your reading?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't think Sony sells parts for them
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

How about a sony service center? I know a friend dropped his kindle and amazon fixed it for a price...but then again that was amazon not sony.

I honestly think I would feel better if I had just lost it. then I would sneak around my wifes back and get a new one. now I am in limbo, it works but my eye just goes to the scratch when reading, ruining the experience
Old 11-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Bluefoot, it wouldn't help with the screen scratch, but you could always get a skin to cover the exterior scratch. DecalGirl and others make some lovely skins for the 350.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
bluerfoot
Zealot

Thanks I looked at decalgirl and it is artistic but the exact opposite of what I want. I can not imagine pulling out my ereader at a mets game with one of those covers I would probably get beat up in the parking lot. Plus I find them very distracting. does anyone make just regular old black? I'm just trying to paint the pig so to speak, and please no offence to people who do use exotic skins of any kind

Btw if I do find a skin, will that interfere with a case which I now know is a must?

I just hope I don't have to resort to this...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ver_Paint.html

Last edited by bluerfoot; 11-21-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
A skin won't interfere with a case. It just takes some patience to put a skin on (or find a teenager; they seem to be good at it).
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
bluerfoot
Zealot

thanks are there any sites with more bland skins?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Bluerfoot, I did a search on Decalgirl - there's a solid black one, but you'd have to pay the extra $5 for it to be cut for a 350. If you go to the 350 skins, and then click on the left where it says 'Don't see your favorite design?', and then search for 'solidstate black'. You choose the black color and your type of device. I'd also spring for the extra $5 for the 'matte' finish if you're aiming for something non-distracting. It would be $25 in total. Not sure if you'd want to pay that much, however!
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
bluerfoot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
Bluerfoot, I did a search on Decalgirl - there's a solid black one, but you'd have to pay the extra $5 for it to be cut for a 350. If you go to the 350 skins, and then click on the left where it says 'Don't see your favorite design?', and then search for 'solidstate black'. You choose the black color and your type of device. I'd also spring for the extra $5 for the 'matte' finish if you're aiming for something non-distracting. It would be $25 in total. Not sure if you'd want to pay that much, however!
You know I just might as I just hate the look with the scratch now. btw these skins...do they rip easily? I do have a 3 year old...I just have an image in my head of a thinish cardboard around the reader...hopefully that is not the case...yea, I'll probably end up with this and the case, this is going to be one expensive little reader...
Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
bluerfoot, sorry to hear about your ereader's accident. Skins are more like a heavy-duty sticker. The one I have for my 505 from mytego is very durable. I checked mytego.com for you, but they currently only have skins for the 505 & 300 models...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Man, that sucks! I would think it's worth contacting Sony about replacing the screen. I doubt they will sell you the part but they could service it themselves.

Also, if you bought it less than 30 days ago, you might be able to purchase a square trade or other 3rd party warranty... I'm just saying...

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Leave the scratch. It adds character, and you have a story to tell about how it happened.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
and is there any hope for the screen?
There are a number products out there to remove/fill scratches in clear glass and plastic. I don't know the type of screen Sony is using on the new readers (resistive?) so I can't speak to how the scratch remover/filler might affect the functionality of the screen but it's worth a look.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
bluerfoot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Leave the scratch. It adds character, and you have a story to tell about how it happened.
I'll get some pictures up, its kind of nasty