Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #76
zeroman9121
zeroman9121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Well my hunch about the jailbreak was right. I got it to work by simply first uninstalling the jailbreak i had. Then trying to update. Thanks for the help. The firmware looks awesome cant wait for further updates.
zeroman9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #77
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroman9121 View Post
Well my hunch about the jailbreak was right. I got it to work by simply first uninstalling the jailbreak i had. Then trying to update. Thanks for the help. The firmware looks awesome cant wait for further updates.
I guess that I had a more recent version of the jailbreak, because I had no trouble.

Yes, I agree, Duokan has great potential. I'm happy with the pdf reflow, the way you can adjust darkness of font, and I find it interesting that you can set fonts for individual books. But, I couldn't get my dictionaries to work, which is a big one for me.

It has been a fun day! Good night, all.

Montalex
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #78
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
3G ain't gonna happen. When running alternate firmware, the device is no longer (for all intents and purposes) a "Kindle." Amazon isn't going to allow a non-kindle device to gain access to the internet (through its various proxies) via 3G. There's no sense trying.

WiFi internet access on the Kindle 3 should certainly be do-able, though.
Could it be that the dictionairies are linked to 3G?

montalex that might be it. It is the default option it should boot (it defaults to Kindle).

FethryDuck: I was thinking in the same lines. Altering the txt file with randomly longer text kills my DK reboot (and has as a result an empty txt file). Guess I will wait for them to update it
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #79
seanlv
seanlv began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipkick View Post
btw, to uninstall, simply delete the DK_* folders
Though I am not good at Linux, I don't believe the Duokan could be uninstalled by this simple way. and there should be some useless scripts still existed on your kindle, for example, maybe in <init.d> <RC.D> folders, or something like that.

So the question is how to uninstall Duokan completely. Any one could help?
seanlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #80
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
Could it be that the dictionairies are linked to 3G?

montalex that might be it. It is the default option it should boot (it defaults to Kindle).

FethryDuck: I was thinking in the same lines. Altering the txt file with randomly longer text kills my DK reboot (and has as a result an empty txt file). Guess I will wait for them to update it
Dictionary is probably not set up, as what would you like - Canton to Mandarin ? But they use Stardict - http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php
It is great software and you can get it for almost everything. Else, the Amazon dictionaries may also be made to work.

Had translated some help-pages, but was confused by duokan, or some sign thing, as the word may simply mean "read more" - probably meant you could continue or break.

Hard to write, sorry - but you will find many neat details
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #81
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlv View Post
Though I am not good at Linux, I don't believe the Duokan could be uninstalled by this simple way. and there should be some useless scripts still existed on your kindle, for example, maybe in <init.d> <RC.D> folders, or something like that.

So the question is how to uninstall Duokan completely. Any one could help?
First, - write down every step you did, while you remember it. Keep this for later use, when some help arrive.

2nd, if you reinstall, the broken file may be overwritten and cure the situation.

3rd, you may copy over every book you have in both systems, and do a factory reset.
( last resort .. )

good luck
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #82
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
3G ain't gonna happen. When running alternate firmware, the device is no longer (for all intents and purposes) a "Kindle." Amazon isn't going to allow a non-kindle device to gain access to the internet (through its various proxies) via 3G. There's no sense trying.

WiFi internet access on the Kindle 3 should certainly be do-able, though.
Hmmm. Both the hardware and the software are there for 3G. Would it not be simply a matter of directing Duokan to use the 3G on the parallel Kindle firmware? Or copying over some files from one system to the other (with some work on menus, etc.?).

If it is possible, the Duokan folks will most likely work on it. I understand that one of the reasons that Kindles are popular in China is because of the 3G.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #83
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
What happens to our screensavers when the Kindle goes to sleep in Doukan?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #84
seanlv
seanlv began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
First, - write down every step you did, while you remember it. Keep this for later use, when some help arrive.

2nd, if you reinstall, the broken file may be overwritten and cure the situation.

3rd, you may copy over every book you have in both systems, and do a factory reset.
( last resort .. )

good luck
thanks I wrote the message because I tried the Duokan and don't like it, so I would like to uninstall Duokan completely.

According to the official document of Duokan, to uninstall Duokan, just delete the DK_* folder in mnt/us. However, I check the some folders in
/etc/init.d
/etc/RC5.d
/etc/rcS.d
there are some scripts still exist.

so are you sure "Reset to factory defaults" would purge everything, and I could get the orginal data when the kindle is shipped to me?
seanlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #85
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
What happens to our screensavers when the Kindle goes to sleep in Doukan?
IN the settings menu you can select to use either the default screensavers (actually that includes the screensaver hack!) or you can put pictures in a Duokan folder and those will be used for the screensaver
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #86
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
anyone know how to load fonts in duokan? - for example French based fonts are being rendered in a different size to rest of fonts in a text.

cheers
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #87
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@seanlv: A factory reset won't remove extra init scripts in the system fs, no.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #88
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidworm View Post
anyone know how to load fonts in duokan? - for example French based fonts are being rendered in a different size to rest of fonts in a text.

cheers
Just copy the font to:

/DK_System/system/font

and the problem with the letters you have is a duokan fw issue.

Last edited by Rinzwind; 11-07-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #89
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidworm View Post

cheers
I'm afraid this won't be solved with different fonts.
I have the same problem with german umlauts (some are not shown at all, some are in a different font).
I added some fonts, they work but don't solve the problem.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #90
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
I heard you can change the brightness level of regular MOBI files in Duokan, is this true?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote