Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Kanlee
Kanlee began at the beginning.

Device: none,still trying to decide
Question Tor E-Book pricing?

I just checked out a few Tor books on Amazon and noticed that the mass paperback sold for about 2 dollars less than the e-book?
Kanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yep. They suck as far as that goes, pretty much.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanlee View Post
I just checked out a few Tor books on Amazon and noticed that the mass paperback sold for about 2 dollars less than the e-book?
Buy the e-book now while they're still that cheap. (Look at the "Digital List Price" - it's usually above the actual selling price and the paper price. In a month or so that's what you'll have to pay for it. Yes, that means you'll be paying four times as much for an e-book as for a paperback in some cases.)
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
MacMillan claims that want to sell their ebooks from a range of $5.99 to $14.99, and the $14.99 price is when there's only a hardcover in print. If so, and MacMillan's CEO speaks for the pricing at its subsidiaries, Tor ebooks ought to be priced in May at $5.99 when there's a $7.99 paper book available.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Kanlee
Kanlee began at the beginning.

Device: none,still trying to decide
The Mass market paperback is 7.99,the paperback is 10.17 and the kindle edition is 9.99.
What is the dif.between paperback and mass market paperback?I would gladly pay 5.99 for the e-book but it is 9.99.
Kanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanlee View Post
The Mass market paperback is 7.99,the paperback is 10.17 and the kindle edition is 9.99.
What is the dif.between paperback and mass market paperback?I would gladly pay 5.99 for the e-book but it is 9.99.
In this case I believe paperback means Trade paperback, which is like a large, nicer paperback. Mass markets are the paperbacks that you see most of the time, the small ones with darker paper.

Tor is a part of MacMillan, a publishing company that is rejecting Amazon's price point of 9.99 for hardcovers, and have decided to price their ebooks from anywhere between 5.99 and 14.99. As you can see here, they're charging a lot more than 5.99, unfairly.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
And then the publishers complain when you can find a used print copy for $3.00 or find "other" digital means to obtain a copy.
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Tor is a part of MacMillan, a publishing company that is rejecting Amazon's price point of 9.99 for hardcovers, and have decided to price their ebooks from anywhere between 5.99 and 14.99. As you can see here, they're charging a lot more than 5.99, unfairly.
Amazon is currently setting the prices so I do not see why you blame the publisher.

I really do not get what an unfair price is. I thought that seller and buyer interacts and there will be a price and that this process did not have any goals like being fair.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Amazon is currently setting the prices so I do not see why you blame the publisher.

I really do not get what an unfair price is. I thought that seller and buyer interacts and there will be a price and that this process did not have any goals like being fair.
It's unfair that they are charging more for the ebook than the most recent pbook edition. I blame the publisher because they were doing this before the whole Amazon/Macmillan debacle and that was reflected at other ebook sites, not just Amazon.

But I digress. Without knowing the titles in question I can't compare other sites, or check to see when the book was released in mass market.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It's unfair that they are charging more for the ebook than the most recent pbook edition.
Why? An ebook is potentially more useful since it is searchable and it is easier to use a dictionary.

Quote:
I blame the publisher because they were doing this before the whole Amazon/Macmillan debacle and that was reflected at other ebook sites, not just Amazon.
Yes, but since Amazon is selling books at a loss you can blame them for not selling the ebook at the price you want.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Why? An ebook is potentially more useful since it is searchable and it is easier to use a dictionary.

Yes, but since Amazon is selling books at a loss you can blame them for not selling the ebook at the price you want.
I can't search my ebooks. And I don't have a dictionary on my device. That's why you pay more for the device, not the ebook. I don't have a Kindle. It's not like the publishers are only going to charge more for Kindle books. They're going to make all ebook distributors jack up their prices.

And your second comment, I don't understand. In this case Amazon shouldn't be selling them at a loss. The book is in mass market paperback, the ebook price should reflect that. Amazon takes a loss on the 9.99 "hardcovers," and maybe a few of the "paperback" ebooks.

If Amazon is charging more for this ebook all on their own, I can see your point. I highly doubt that is the case though.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It's a sad state of affairs that's for sure.

Hopefully after a bumpy 2010 we'll eventually get a pricing that structure that is fair for consumers and that publishers and Amazon are 'satisfied' with. They won't be happy, but satisfied is enough for them. The bottom line for me is that I will not pay 50% more for an ebook over a paper book when the ebook comes with a number of restrictions (DRM) as to who I can lend it to and I am unable to re-sell it.

I don't mind having DRM which 'checks out' a book so only one person can use it at a time. But I need to be able to let my friends check it out so they can borrow it like a paper book and I should be able to sell the book once I have finished with it like I can a paper book. The publishers are trying to force us into 'leasing' DRMed books with a one book per person restriction for a higher price than paper. It is ludicrous.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I won't necessarily agree with tompe that ebooks ought to be more expensive than paper. However, he is correct that you cannot blame Tor right now for the current prices. Tor is setting its current cover prices with the expectation that Amazon and other retailers will offer a significant discount. It's like castigating a car manufacturer on your new car's cash price because the auto dealer refuses to go below MSRP or, for a hot car, charges more than the MSRP.

This will change when Amazon switches to agency pricing, and Tor will gain much more control over pricing. Until agency pricing kicks in, you can't exclusively blame Tor for the price and can't predict how they will price it.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Depends entirely on the file format, DRM, and the reader. Some formats I've seen like searching, many readers and viewing software don't have search features even if the format will let you, and it is also possible for DRM formats to limit abilities like that (although not sure if any currently do).

Also, it can be argued that getting something tangible outweighs the potential ease of use. I would much rather pay for something tangible, even if it is a container for a digital file. When you get something you can touch, you can't have the retailer or the publisher take it away from you. If you have computer problems, you still have it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #15
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
And your second comment, I don't understand. In this case Amazon shouldn't be selling them at a loss. The book is in mass market paperback, the ebook price should reflect that.
Macmillan's pricing department doesn't agree with you, since their digital list price on most books that have been out in paperback for years is $14, with spikes as high as $30. We'll see how well this works out for them if they try to keep those price levels once the new price-fixing agreement is in place.

Amazon shows the digital MSRP, and generally buys at 50% of list, so you can make a reasonable guess as to whether or not a book is selling at a loss.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote