Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
ser1us
Enthusiast
ser1us doesn't litterser1us doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen CyBook Gen3
Bought new Cybook Gen3 Boo Reader 1.4 Build 885

Hi everyone,

maybe somebody can help me. The following problem:

As described in the title I bought yesterday my first CyBook. But I was not able to open .mobi or even the user .prc manual from the bookeen homepage!

I just have no chance to open a book in these formats.

Then I read something about checkdisk and even formatting. Well I tried to fix the filesystem -> no errors found but still the same problem. Then I formatted the internal file system. But now all folders are gone! No more system folder Fonts whatever AND I'm only able to read books on the SD cards, books on the internal memory will not be recognized!

What a mess! I have to say I'm very disappointed about the CyBook, already wrote two mails to contact at bookeen.com and support at bookeen.com no answers....

Btw, i can use a folders in the library as well as epub files (which are the only files who work right now!! damn

Any help is much appreciated!
Regards,
ser1us
ser1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
No one has that version's system files, so bookeen has to give you those or you'll have to downgrade to a previous firmware.

About not reading mobi files, I find it strange, as even if Bookeen can only use one DRMed format and they choose ePub, you would still be able to read unprotected mobi files, I guess. But I might be wrong here.

Anyway, didn't you backup the files in the internal memory before formating it?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this mean that Bookeen has done away with Mobipocket DRM in favor of ADE with ePud support? Have they done away with Mobipocket altogether?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
ser1us
Enthusiast

Hi Over

Thanks for your reply. No, I read about it afterwards.. haha... how ironic. Because I couldn't open the user manual which was already on the cybook I didn't read the warning. I'm a mac user too, so I didn't install mobipocket reader. Afterwards I installed mobipocket reader in a windows virtual machine and read the manual completely...

Well then, have to wait until Bookeen writes back. I tried to install 79xfmt which I found somewhere in this forum but it didn't work. The installation process didn't start so maybe it's because I already have a newer version installed.

regards,
ser1us
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser1us View Post
Hi everyone,

maybe somebody can help me. The following problem:

As described in the title I bought yesterday my first CyBook. But I was not able to open .mobi or even the user .prc manual from the bookeen homepage!

I just have no chance to open a book in these formats.

Then I read something about checkdisk and even formatting. Well I tried to fix the filesystem -> no errors found but still the same problem. Then I formatted the internal file system. But now all folders are gone! No more system folder Fonts whatever AND I'm only able to read books on the SD cards, books on the internal memory will not be recognized!

What a mess! I have to say I'm very disappointed about the CyBook, already wrote two mails to contact at bookeen.com and support at bookeen.com no answers....

Btw, i can use a folders in the library as well as epub files (which are the only files who work right now!! damn

Any help is much appreciated!
Regards,
ser1us

Not being able to read anything downloaded from the Bookeen site is worrying.

What happens on the screen, now, when you switch it on?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
ser1us
Enthusiast

@JSWolf: It looks like, I was not able top open any prc or mobi files, tried to change the usb port and so on, nothing worked

@GeoffC: The device works with the exception that I can't open files from the internal memory. I created a folder eBooks and put some ePub files in it. Not recognized by the device, means not shown in the library. Then I moved the ePub files to the SD Card, that works without a problem. Well I can read books but I want to move them to the internal memory as I need the SD card in my camera. The biggest problem is that I can't use the Adobe Digital Editions. It doesn't recognize the Cybook anymore since I formatted the internal memory....
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Were did you buy the Cybook?

Strange that it works at all when you have formatted the internal memory. Prvious versions does not boot if you do not have some files on the internal partition.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
ser1us
Enthusiast

I bought it in a "Weltbild" shop, probably not known outside Switzerland and Germany.

Yeah, but anyway.. looks like I really have to wait until somebody of Bookeen has the time to answer my mails. At least I can still read books...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I bought it in a "Weltbild" shop, probably not known outside Switzerland and Germany.

Yeah, but anyway.. looks like I really have to wait until somebody of Bookeen has the time to answer my mails. At least I can still read books...
OK, so then as pointed out in another thread only ePUB is supported.

Could you describe how folders are working? And do you have page numbers?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, you can read ePub files from the sd card, but not from internal memory. (New!)

Is the folder containing the files the same title, ebooks or books?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
I asume you bought one at weltbild.de, which is NOT able to use MOBI/PRC format, but can use ePUB instead. This is clearly stated on the weppage, but we here at the forums already discussed about people having problems with these "new" CyBooks...

So your reader was perfectly OK until you tried to repair the internal memory. Problem is, as there is no new firmware version downloadable at the moment (not ready yet and weltbild.de-release was a special version) it'll be hard to restore the thing (without Bookeen support).

Maybe this thread here is of some help (later posts): CLICK

When Bookeen finishes the new firmware version there'll be hopefully a version that supports ePUB and MOBI/PRC formats!!!

Last edited by gerraldo; 05-06-2009 at 11:05 AM.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
So your reader was perfectly OK until you tried to repair the internal memory. Problem is, as there is no new firmware version downloadable at the moment (not ready yet and weltbild.de-release was a special version) it'll be hard to restore the thing (without Bookeen support).
Or somebody else that have bought the same reader can provide the missing files.

Did you capitalize the ebook director name correctly on the internal memory?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
ser1us
Enthusiast

Yeah looks like, I know the specification on the weltbild.ch site doesn't list mobi files, but I thought it would be very stupid to remove the mobi support when the manual actually is a prc file!

I have the following folder structure on my SD card (which is recognized by the cybook):

/eBooks/Development/MacOSX
/iPhone
/Rails

Also when I turn on folder view I can browse through these folders.

So I copied eBooks to the internal memory and moved all epub files into the ebook folder. Not working.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah looks like, I know the specification on the weltbild.ch site doesn't list mobi files, but I thought it would be very stupid to remove the mobi support when the manual actually is a prc file!
Is the manual updated for the new functionality like folders and ePub?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
GeoffC

Just to double check, the ePub files on the internal memory are in a folder eBooks ....

If so, then it looks from this as though the new firmware doesn't 'like' book files in the internal store (because it's not big enough?....)