Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #46
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
100 for me would be cutting back I tried to read 250 this year, but I'm not going to make it (225 now). 2011 I'll probably go with 200, I did notice I passed on "bigger" books and I really want to focus on quality in 2011 (I read a lot of quality books this year though). In case you want to see my list for the year: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...-250-challenge (please don't comment though, I want my post count to match the book #).

For those questioning whether something counts or not, I'm in the opinion if it's a book, it counts. If you don't want it to count, then don't. I know my list is for everyone to see and clearly there's lots of romance on it, so some might think "that's how she got so many," and you'd partially be right. I also have some very short books on there. I balanced it out though with other books. I was actually quite pleased, I read a lot less romance this year (from 54% of what I read down to 35%). Anyway I'm rambling now...The point is to have fun and push yourself to read more. If reading some shorties keeps you on a roll, then why not?
I agree!

Did you like Playing With fire and Twice as Hot by Gena Showalter? I really loved the second! I haven't read any of her other series though as I tend to be more into UF than PNR, but I do have some on my TBR list. I didn't see any Frost on your list. Have you read the Night Huntress series?

Here is my list (although I haven't read nearly as many as you!). I am actually doing a couple different challenges, this one was the easiest.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #47
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I know my list is for everyone to see and clearly there's lots of romance on it, so some might think "that's how she got so many," and you'd partially be right.
Ah - so that's why she got so many.

Actually I have no idea whether reading romance novels would make the reading easier. Is it that the language is supposed to be simpler, or the plot less complex?

Not having a go - just never read a romance novel before.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #48
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I agree!

Did you like Playing With fire and Twice as Hot by Gena Showalter? I really loved the second! I haven't read any of her other series though as I tend to be more into UF than PNR, but I do have some on my TBR list. I didn't see any Frost on your list. Have you read the Night Huntress series?

Here is my list (although I haven't read nearly as many as you!). I am actually doing a couple different challenges, this one was the easiest.
I loved that series (extraordinary girl)! I will have to check out Frost, if she's like Showalter. You should definitely read her other series!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Ah - so that's why she got so many.

Actually I have no idea whether reading romance novels would make the reading easier. Is it that the language is supposed to be simpler, or the plot less complex?

Not having a go - just never read a romance novel before.

Regards
Caleb
Yeah, they can be a lot easier (most at least). They are shorter and easier to read. Most I can get through in 3-4 hours, as opposed to 5-7 hours for a novel or nonfiction.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was one of the early joiners of this group. I think I can do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I'm in! I am in a similar group on GoodReads.
URL to that group please. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I would not consider an audio book to be legit unless it were unabridged.
I agree. Abridged or Readers Digest condensed versions should be ineligible.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
lol sorry it has to be 200 or more pages long
200 pages how? 200 hardcover pages, 200 ePub pages, 200 MMPB pages, 200 TPB pages? 200 large print pages? See, 200 pages is not just 200 pages depending on the format. So how are you deciding what 200 pages?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #53
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I am not going to stress over it. A book is whatever I choose to be a book. This thing is a personal challenge against myself, so why would I "cheat"? I do not choose my books by length or complexity, nor will I do so in the coming year.

I have set up my format on the group thread. I plan to track date, title, author, where I acquired the book, price, page numbers if available, and a brief review to remind myself what the book was about.

What you track and how you define a book should be up to your own preferences. It is not a race, and there is no prize, except personal growth. Feel free tp peek at my group format if you want to, then decide what is important for your own tracking.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #54
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
I loved that series (extraordinary girl)! I will have to check out Frost, if she's like Showalter. You should definitely read her other series!
I already have some of her Psy-Changling series so I should get to them in the near future.

You might like the group Delirity. Most of us are fans of PNR and UF, lots of YA series as well. There are tons of great ideas for series and books there. It's a smaller group (but very busy), and I find it perfect for discussing books and getting new ideas. There are also challenges, like A-Z or cover challenges, but you don't have to take part. It's mostly just to get some of us to try different books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
URL to that group please. Thanks.
It is here. It was 144 books for 2010, but for 2011 we choose our own goals. I like it when people post their ratings on their books, bit most don't there. Now that they have lounges it might be different.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #55
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
OK, I joined. I read 487 books this year so far, so I should have no trouble meeting that.

The 200 pages might be an issue. I expect most of my books were over 200 pages in print, but certainly not all of them. Some full-length romances are pretty short. Take for example this randomly selected title from the Harlequin Presents series: 192 pp in print. Would it count? It's probably fewer pages in epub.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I am not going to stress over it. A book is whatever I choose to be a book. This thing is a personal challenge against myself, so why would I "cheat"? I do not choose my books by length or complexity, nor will I do so in the coming year.

I have set up my format on the group thread. I plan to track date, title, author, where I acquired the book, price, page numbers if available, and a brief review to remind myself what the book was about.

What you track and how you define a book should be up to your own preferences. It is not a race, and there is no prize, except personal growth. Feel free to peek at my group format if you want to, then decide what is important for your own tracking.
Good way to put it. It is a personal choice what you consider a book. So really, if you cheat, you only cheat yourself. I'm not sure if I'll consider short stories as part of the count or maybe every two shots will count as one. I'll have to see what happens as I go along.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #57
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
I've joined too, although I doubt I'll be able to read 100 books next year. But like DixieGal said: it's the journey that counts And I really like a challenge. I don't really keep count, so it'll be interesting to see how many books I read in a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

I'll log all the books I read, even if they're less than 200 pages. I read a lot of fantasy, and they're usually big books (700 to 900 pbook pages). But I'm also planning on reading all the Poirot books in the next months, and they're usually less than 200 ebook pages. So I guess that evens it out.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
I've joined too, although I doubt I'll be able to read 100 books next year. But like DixieGal said: it's the journey that counts And I really like a challenge. I don't really keep count, so it'll be interesting to see how many books I read in a year.

I'll log all the books I read, even if they're less than 200 pages. I read a lot of fantasy, and they're usually big books (700 to 900 pbook pages). But I'm also planning on reading all the Poirot books in the next months, and they're usually less than 200 ebook pages. So I guess that evens it out.
Goodreads is a great place to keep track of the books you've read in 2011. Also, it's a great place to keep track of books you've read regardless of the challenge.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #59
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Goodreads is a great place to keep track of the books you've read in 2011. Also, it's a great place to keep track of books you've read regardless of the challenge.
You're right, I hadn't even considered using goodreads. To be honest, I find goodreads a little difficult to navigate. I started using goodreads as my personal library inventory, but I haven't really added any books since I signed up although I read quite a lot the last few months.

Since I visit MR every day, it will be easier to keep track here
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #60
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I've started using goodreads recently, although my book journal has a list of everything numbered each year. Would it be possible to programmatically suck in a feed from goodreads for our books? I'm already triple-posting some reviews.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a terminator production